• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Isn't a piece this size too big for a 9.0?

16 posts in this topic

I do not like to whine about CGC's grading as there are enough ppl who do that already, but correct me if I'm wrong: Isn't a piece this size too big for a 9.0?

http://www.heritagecomics.com/common/auctions/viewlot.asp?s=12111&l=30201&zoom=0&SID=5444112DEF044DBFA10DA67BCC85C95A

Cheers,

Bachelor of Comics

.......i agree with you entirely, that to me is not even a chip but a CHUNK missing from the cover........no way a VF/NM.........

......but then again its a golden age book and a pedigree to boot.......so throw out your grading guide ............... confused.gif

A chunk missing, a crease in the corner, spine stress and it grades at 9.0.

So why did my golden age book grade at 5.5 with less damage?

I do not have any handle on gradiing at all.

-- Joanna

I just checked the notes on this comic and that piece was not out when it was graded. That would NEVER grade a 9.0. I will talk to Heritage this morning and find out what happened to that comic. Thanks for the "heads up", things like this need to be taken care of ASAP. frown.gif

"Because a) Your not a high roller, and b) Your book is not from the Rockford collection. Different standards for different customers."

Tom,

That is 100% untrue! mad.gif There are NO different grading standards for different customers. Please stick to facts and not rumors. Thanks.

I just checked the notes on this comic and that piece was not out when it was graded. That would NEVER grade a 9.0. I will talk to Heritage this morning and find out what happened to that comic. Thanks for the "heads up", things like this need to be taken care of ASAP.

That makes me feel better. Thanks for telling us that.

-- Joanna

I just checked the notes on this comic and that piece was not out when it was graded. That would NEVER grade a 9.0. I will talk to Heritage this morning and find out what happened to that comic. Thanks for the "heads up", things like this need to be taken care of ASAP

Sounds like someone in the encapsulation dept. is in trouble. shocked.gif

I don't see the chunk floating around the CGC case anywhere....
Which is why Araich pointed out that somebody in the encapsulation department is in trouble; the chunk could have been taken out before the comic was placed into the case. I've heard of one other possible encapsulation error...Methuselah claims he has a Cap 100 CGC 9.2 where the heat-seal that goes around all four sides of the inner plastic well is placed too low--so low that the top of the comic is heat-sealed into the case!

Sounds like understandable human errors, as long as CGC makes up for the damage.

The chunk could be stuck between the cover and the first page and we can't see it in the case. It would have to be opened to find it. I would be interested to see a follow up from either Heritage or Steve on this one. "Where's the chunk?"

Could be in there, but it's inconceivable to me that the chunk would have been taken out while INSIDE the slab. What physical force could be applied specifically to the area ripped on the cover and not affect the plastic around it?

Well if the chip was just barely held on, it is certainly possible that the vibration in transit could have rattled it loose... Set a brick on the washing machine and nothing happens to the brick. But a house of cards will collapse long before the spin cycle.

I hate to give 'ablue' any ammo, but a chip that is barely held on like that is a good candidate for preventative restoration, to keep it stable so it wouldn't come off during transport.

I'm glad to see that even though CGC won't release what their grading standards are, they do agree that a chip that size doesn't make 9.0...