• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st (Bronze) book you ever slabbed?!?!?!

28 posts in this topic

OK, I thought it would be interesting to find out what the first book that everyone sent to CGC was.

A number of years ago I bought a NM ASM 129 from Blazingbob, back when he was living in NYC - he was in a walk-up and had this room/closet where he kept all his books smile.gif I bought a number of books from him over a couple year period, and this is before CGC came around. Anyway, the first "key" book I ever bought was this ASM 129. I held it for almost 2 years before hearing about CGC. Sent it to be graded and it came back a 9.0! I was the happiest freakin camper ever. To get a 9.0 of the 1st Punisher book was like winning the lottery (of course, I now sleep with my 9.6 copy, but that's another story!!!).

The first book I ever slabbed was my Superboy #1 (7.5, which was acceptable to me). The first BRONZE book I ever slabbed was a pair of Savage She-Hulk #1s (9.4 and 9.6). I'm not sure if it was a modern or a bronze. I listed one of them on eBay as a bronze, but I could be wrong about the classification.

My first Bronze slabs were a GS X-Men #1 (came back a 9.2 and made a

50% profit when I sold it for $750...I used the proceeds to buy a 9.4 copy which

I later sold for a 35% profit...which I used to buy my current 9.6 copy which has

again appreciated 35-40%!) and an X-Men #94 (which came back a 9.0 and I

still own).

Soon after, I slabbed an ASM #129, which came back an 8.5. I sold that after

I upgraded to a 9.4...and then I sold that after I got my 9.6 white paged copy!!

So, I'm not only a member of the "I Slabbed an ASM #129 and Now I Own a

CGC 9.6 Copy Club", but I'm also the President! grin.gif

Gene

I sent in like 10 books total from what I can remember:

X-Men 94 - 7.5

Hulk 181 x 2 - 5.0 & 6.0 respectively

X-Men 32 - 8.0

ASM 129 - 8.0 or 8.5

That's all I can remember - seeing as ALL were advertised as NM I was a little peeved to say the least.

Thus I claim the title in my sig line. wink.gifgrin.gif

Incredible Hulk 181 7.5 (C'mon movie, hurry up! I need to sell this)

Paid $100 back in '88, so I should see a nice profit.

Oddly enough, this is the only bronze I've submitted so far (express-$99 club)

The others have been either Modern(80's) or Economy(60's Silver).

Rick

GS X-Men 1 CGC 9.6 WHITE PAGES

GS X-Men 2 CGC 9.4 WHITE PAGES

Amazing Spider-man 100 CGC 9.6 WHITE PAGES

Fantastic Four 112 CGC 9.4 WHITE PAGES

X-men # 94 CGC 9.4 grin.gif

By the way, I also used go to the blazing one's apt. to pick up my books! In fact I also bought a Spidey # 129 in high-grade from him about a year or so before CGC.

Although, I haven't submitted it to CGC yet, it also looks around 9.0 range.

Bob always had a great run of super nice books.

Sent in a bunch right at the beginning. Unfortunately they're all gone - I could have paid for my car if I waited two years:

GS X-Men 1 9.4 White

Incredible Hulk 181 9.4 White

ASM 121 9.4 White

ASM 129 9.4 White

Green Lantern 90 9.4 White

Star Wars 1 35 cent 9.2 OWW

I mostly sent in Silver and Moderns, but the first Bronze that I graded was Green Lantern 76 CGC 9.4 (still got it) - But, the first book that I sent in was a ASM 40 that I had bought off Yahoo Auctions for 150.00 and when I had it graded, came back with CGC 9.2 and white pages....and that's when they were going for $700-800 bucks !! ---still got that one too. grin.gif

I just recently sent in a couple of books to be slabbed (dipping my toe in the water, so to speak). Considering I am a strict grader (have sold tons of comics in the past year on Ebay, lots of people say I grade my books modestly, or they are "better than they expected," I am very happy with my Iron Fist 14 (that book again, I know it is the prime subject of another thread) that got a 9.2 OW-W (I expected this in advance), and I am ecstatic that my Ms Marvel 18 received a universal grade 9.0 (the book rolled off the printer missing part of the bottom edge, ouch).

Had a great experience with CGC (fast service and courteous customer service-- had to call them for assistance), I think I might slab a few more books before the year ends.

My first was a Marvel Premiere 15 (first Iron Fist) . I picked it up for $12 just a year ago on Ebay (postage incl) and when I got it I knew I had to send it in. It came back a 9.4!! Not too shabby for the investment.

Only problem is I got it back labled as Iron Fist #15, not Marvel Premiere. I posted something when I got it back, and SBorok told me to just send it back and they would reslab it, but the dealer I use hasn't gotten around to sending it back in yet.