• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ok, more info and less kidding - The CGC Registry - Where to find it.

57 posts in this topic

Hey Arch how difficult is it to add sets?

There are some step-by-step instructions on the process on the Using The Registry page. Overall, I'd say it's pretty easy. The basics are, sign up for an account, pick a set you want to make, name it, and then enter your cert numbers.

blush.gif Oops. When I answered this question earlier I thought deathlok was asking how difficult it was for CGC to add new set categories for competition, not how difficult it was for a user to enter sets. Sorry if I misunderstood.

That's what I did mean by the question Dena, you were correct. I figured out how to add sets on the user-end. I was wondering how difficult it was for you guys to add sets to the registry. Is there a formula for calculating the score? I suppose because you mentioned it was time consuming that you must enter the data manually, correct?

I plan on gathering a set of "Sunburst" cover variants of which include:

Amazing Spider-man 1

Hulk 1

Fantastic Four 1

Avengers 1

Iron Man 1

Thor 1

Webspinners 1

Peter Parker 1

Captain America 1

Will it be possible to register a set with these issues or will I have to register in 9 differant sets?

Based upon the format up now, it appears you would have to enter 9 different sets.

• Administrator

Amazing Spider-man 1

Hulk 1

Fantastic Four 1

Avengers 1

Iron Man 1

Thor 1

Webspinners 1

Peter Parker 1

Captain America 1

Will it be possible to register a set with these issues or will I have to register in 9 differant sets?

It's quite possible for us to make sets that cater to specialties like this. Essentially we can assemble any grouping of comics into a set for whatever reason we wanted.

"The Dead Heros Set" - a set of all comics in which a major hero dies

"The Every Appearance of XXX Set" - a set across title boundaries for all appearanaces of some character

Or anything else that seems interesting.

Whether or not we make those set types would really depend on whether there is sufficient interest to drive the set type. We probably wouldn't want to get into a situation where we have thousands of set types, each with only one participant. At least not within the Registry paradigm. (Although I'll say that I have a sekrit skweril project in mind to address more unique one-off collecting habits).

Arch

• Administrator
That's what I did mean by the question Dena, you were correct. I figured out how to add sets on the user-end. I was wondering how difficult it was for you guys to add sets to the registry. Is there a formula for calculating the score? I suppose because you mentioned it was time consuming that you must enter the data manually, correct?

Yes, most of the data is entered manually however, some of the scores are automatically extrapolated based on other data we enter. As you can imagine, it could take forever to score every book, in every grade, in every possible label type.

The scores are loosely based on market value. I say loosely because it is not based on one source, nor is it purely a dollar amount. There is a bit of comtemplation that goes into each score. Our objective is to reflect the difference between books in the Registry so they are weighted appropriately, one against the other, for the purposes of this friendly competition.

Some users may find scores that need tweaking and we are certainly willing to do that where it is appropriate.

The number of variables to consider when scoring books for the Registry is astounding. While we've spent a great deal of time making sure our scoring is accurate, I'm sure it is not perfect in every scenario.

As mentioned in one of Arch's previous posts, we are working on some more text for the Registry site. We will definitely include a more detailed explanation of the scoring.

I hope I answered your questions. Sometimes I can just 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

Amazing Spider-man 1

Hulk 1

Fantastic Four 1

Avengers 1

Iron Man 1

Thor 1

Webspinners 1

Peter Parker 1

Captain America 1

9 different sets rick frown.gif

But if it makes you feel better, I may have to do 184 (?) different sets for my CGC'd 30 cent variant collection frown.gif -Highest graded complete 30 Marvel Price variant collection would be a nice sig wink.gif

Yeah Carl...my variant set would pale in comparison to yours... grin.gif

JMO but I believe the 30 cent variant set would be more sought after and noteworthy than the Sunburst variants...perhaps Arch could formulate a set to accomidate your venture... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

• Administrator
How can I add pictures? Kevin

To add pictures to your Registry entries, choose "Manage Comics" from the Comics menu.

You will be prompted to enter search criteria to find the book you want to manage.

After you enter your search criteria, you will see a list of the comics you registered that match your search criteria.

Click the box next to the title you wish to manage and click edit.

You will see a management screen for that title where you can enter your own comments about the book and browse for images on your local drive.

After you are through, click "Yes, Commit the changes".

I tried to enter a set. I have multiples of the same issues in HG, but could not find a way to enter the additional copies? If you're trying to register a multiple copy best set ... what do you do?

Enter sets against yourself? or is there a way to record the multiple in the same set to get one high ranking rather than seperate ones?

How can I add pictures? Kevin

To add pictures to your Registry entries, choose "Manage Comics" from the Comics menu.

You will be prompted to enter search criteria to find the book you want to manage.

After you enter your search criteria, you will see a list of the comics you registered that match your search criteria.

Click the box next to the title you wish to manage and click edit.

You will see a management screen for that title where you can enter your own comments about the book and browse for images on your local drive.

After you are through, click "Yes, Commit the changes".

It didn't work, It said "Cannot find Server" what am i doing wrong? Kevin

• Administrator
I tried to enter a set. I have multiples of the same issues in HG, but could not find a way to enter the additional copies? If you're trying to register a multiple copy best set ... what do you do?

Enter sets against yourself? or is there a way to record the multiple in the same set to get one high ranking rather than seperate ones?

There's no set definition that allows you to say, "hey look, I have 12 of this one". The presumption here is that the collectors are not really seeking to have multiple copies of any single issue for collecting purposes, and that furthermore in showing off a cool set, people would really want to see a series of related books in the top grades rather than many copies of one book in a top grade. Thus, the system doesn't really accomodate the multiple copy thing.

My questions are... why do you have multiple copies? And wouldn't you just want to compete with your best one? And are other collectors really interested in seeing a collection of X number of the same issue? As I understand things, this isn't a common goal? Or am I just misunderstanding an element of comic collecting?

Arch

I like multiple copies of different issues myself. Just certain issues I really like and don't mind buying more than a few. Ones with great covers, stories, artists, characters, etc..

Every collector has different interests, those weirdos!

There's no set definition that allows you to say, "hey look, I have 12 of this one". The presumption here is that the collectors are not really seeking to have multiple copies of any single issue for collecting purposes, and that furthermore in showing off a cool set, people would really want to see a series of related books in the top grades rather than many copies of one book in a top grade. Thus, the system doesn't really accomodate the multiple copy thing.

My questions are... why do you have multiple copies? And wouldn't you just want to compete with your best one? And are other collectors really interested in seeing a collection of X number of the same issue? As I understand things, this isn't a common goal? Or am I just misunderstanding an element of comic collecting?

Arch

We all collect differently Arch. I don't know if my collecting style/strategies are common or not. I suppose its a moot point really... it takes all types, and there are many different goals. I'll personally collect multiples of books I really like (and believe in)... to compare against each other up close, to use for trade for other HTF books, and to profit from to buy more (different) books I want.

I understand why you didn't set up the system to take on multiples and I was not referring to "multiples of 1 issue"... I was talking about "multiple sets". Some of which would be identical in grade... so not better than one another (ranking-wise) in your system. If I had 2 9.6 runs of IF 1-15 for example.

Just for the record, I was not criticizing. I just wanted to know if there was a way, in case there was one I couldn't figure out. In my case, I have a couple of runs/sets in which I have multiples of the best copies.. or the best 2 issues/sets, etc.. Anyway, I see that I would just enter them as 2 different sets (like set A or set B) if I wanted to register them all.

I've kept most of that quiet anyway. I suppose you're right, much of this is just an excuse to show off your books anyway... which I really don't do much. Of course, you offer the option to do it anonymously.

I guess I'll resist for now, I have so far. Its tempting to want to share some of the real gems though. When I register, I'll do it anonymously

Thanks

• Administrator

Yah, I know there are a ton of collecting approaches out there. I guess I was just trying to get a feel for the why's and wherefor's behind this particular one, as well as a feel for whether or not it was common. The more popular and widespread a particular collecting practice is, the more sense it would make to try and find a way to accomodate it within the system. If it was a pretty rare way of collecting (not less valid, just more rare) then it might not make sense to invest in system changes to accomodate it within a Registry structure Since the registry structure encapsulates the idea of comparing the sets of many collectors on the basis of a single "set type definition" basis, getting too unique with the set definitions is kind of counter to that concept.

But yah, you've got it - the way to handle multiple copies of a set is to make more than one set entry.

Here's hoping you share your comics with the world. In my experience, people who have a passion for collecting get alot of pleasure from sharing their own collections, and just as much pleasure from drinking in the collections of others.

One of my favorite examples of a true sharing of collecting passion on the coin side is Hoot's Buffalo Nickel Set. Even if you don't collect coins, reading over the set description, and then clicking on the coins and seeing the pictures and reading his coin descriptions, you get a real sense for his collecting passion. Imagine an equivalent level of sharing about comics and thoughts and opinions on artists and inkers and story lines and memories of the day you bought that comic new off the shelf with your dad, etc...

Arch

The guy who owns the best 1960s Silver Marvel comics has multiple sets, and it's possible that his "B" set is better than everybody else's "A" set for certain titles, just like some of Bruce's "B" sets for runs like Hulk 180 to 182 are better than most people's "A" sets.

Grade collectors who have a bunch of disposable income and a limited area of interest do buy multiple sets, yes. And the type of person who's likely to be at the top of these set lists is more likely to own multiple sets than the average collector who doesn't care whether they own the "best" copies or not.

Finally it is here. I am very excited about the comic’s registry and am very glad you are dedicated to making the registry reflect the collecting preferences of all participants. I know that the comic’s registry is very new but I would like to make a few suggestions.

- Make a column that shows the average grade of the comics in the set. I want to be able to see if the collector is building a high grade or low grade collection without have to click and every set and having to wait for the set to load. This isn’t a big deal now, but once there are 1000’s of sets registered I will want to know more about the sets without having to click on every set.

- Have the set score in the 1-10 scale like the grade scale. If a collection is 100% complete with all books grade 9.4, the set score should be 9.4. If it were 50% complete with all books 9.4 the set score would be 4.7. A complete set with 9.4’s and 9.6’s would have a set rating between 9.4-9.6. I think having the set scoring like this is much simpler and much more meaningful.

Dena or Arch, I have a hypothetical scenario:

Let's say someone decides to go through a database like Heritage, and takes down bar-code #'s of high end books they don't own and inputs them into their registry.(It's stupid, but I wouldn't put it past a lot of people). Then let's say I'm looking through the registry, and see a book I own in someone else's collection. I asume I could contact you guys to get it removed as long as I provide proof of ownership? And what kind of proof would you need to verify I CURRENTLY own the book? What I could also see happening is people keeping books they once owned on the registry inorder to boost their rating. In that scenario, 2 people could be claiming ownership and could provide proof, so what would be done? And would there be some sort of dicipline(Like banning) to as individual who is found to be falsly boosting their status?

Has this kind of thing happen with the coin registry? And if so, how was it handled? I know that for some collectors(particularly high grade collectors), the ego appeal is the main reason they collect(whether they admit it or not), and as the registry grows in size, I could see this kind of thing happening.