• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ok, more info and less kidding - The CGC Registry - Where to find it.

57 posts in this topic

• Administrator

The CGC Registry is now live and available. You can find more information about it, and a link to the sets on the Collectors' Society under the "Registry" link at the top.

It's a little light on full instructions at the moment, and we'll be adding some more helpful information to the forms soon, but hopefully it's easy enough to use that you'll be able to dive in. As with any new roll out, I expect some number of bugs and/or issues. Please feel free to post those things here, and we'll do our best to address them promptly. I'm quite certain there will be no shortage of these issues. wink.gif

The CGC Registry should be alot of fun, and we hope you enjoy it. Registries are a great way to bring some focus to your collecting while sharing your collection with others. I would encourage everyone who participates to upload pictures of their comics and to put in some rich descriptions of their sets and what the experience of building the set has been like, and of their individual books. It's detail and sharing like that which can really bring a tool like this to life as a valuable part of the community and the collecting experience.

Arch

• Administrator

It's final, not beta. You can only enter books in sets that have been defined and scored. But we will add more sets over time on a steady basis. If you're interested in participating, and collect something specific that you'd like to see a set for, please feel more than free to post about it here as a suggestion.

• Administrator

Yes, it's free, you just have to sign up for a free Collectors' Society account. The sets and the book details are visible to everyone, whether they're signed up with an account or not. You just have to sign up with an account in order to enter your own set.

It's final, not beta. You can only enter books in sets that have been defined and scored. But we will add more sets over time on a steady basis. If you're interested in participating, and collect something specific that you'd like to see a set for, please feel more than free to post about it here as a suggestion.

Can you enter single issues? does it have to be in a run? Like ASM 1-100 for example?

What exactly is the comic "score"?

I don't get it.

Essentially from what I can tell by using it. When you enter a valid cert# from your collection it assigns a score based upon the grade and type of slab.

For example Hulk #181 Universal grade 8.5 = 600 score

Hulk #181 Universal grade 9.2 = 1175 score

So in this example the 9.2 gets more points.

I suppose this would allow people to compare their collection based solely on grading, not worth. Although the score must somehow factor in worth, scarcity, etc.

Hey Arch how difficult is it to add sets?

Will you be adding them on a request basis?

How would you enter multiple issues, same title?

Could you add Avengers 1-100?

Daredevil 1-50?

X-men 1-100?

Do I ask enough question for ya?

• Administrator

I'll jump in answer some questions. For those who don't know me, I work for the Certified Collectibles Group. I started specifically with NGC but now I am involved in special projects across all the companies.

Hey Arch how difficult is it to add sets? This is not terribly difficult - just time consuming.

Will you be adding them on a request basis? We will take requests for sets however, we do have an extensive list of sets we plan to roll out over the next couple of months. We are prioritizing that list. So, in a couple of days I will post the list so you will know what you can expect next. Feel free to keep the requests coming though. We appreciate the guidance. We want this Registry to reflect your collecting preferences.

Arch can correct me if I get this wrong but there is no shortcut to entering multiple issues, same title because you need to enter the certification number for each book so we can verify them.

Do I ask enough question for ya? Keep the questions coming. The more questions asked, the better resource this becomes for others with the same questions.

Thanks!!!!

I'll jump in answer some questions. For those who don't know me, I work for the Certified Collectibles Group. I started specifically with NGC but now I am involved in special projects across all the companies.

Hey Arch how difficult is it to add sets? This is not terribly difficult - just time consuming.

Will you be adding them on a request basis? We will take requests for sets however, we do have an extensive list of sets we plan to roll out over the next couple of months. We are prioritizing that list. So, in a couple of days I will post the list so you will know what you can expect next. Feel free to keep the requests coming though. We appreciate the guidance. We want this Registry to reflect your collecting preferences.

Arch can correct me if I get this wrong but there is no shortcut to entering multiple issues, same title because you need to enter the certification number for each book so we can verify them.

Do I ask enough question for ya? Keep the questions coming. The more questions asked, the better resource this becomes for others with the same questions.

Thanks!!!!

Can single issues be entered or does it have to be only sets? Someone answer this please! 893frustrated.gif

• Administrator

Can you enter single issues? does it have to be in a run? Like ASM 1-100 for example?

You CAN enter single issues. The idea is that we have defined a set - Iron Fist 1 to 15, for example - and then collectors try and fill the set. As they work towards completion they can see how their set compares to others, they can share details about the trials and tribulations of collecting that set, and details about the condition and history and meaning to them of each particular issue.

So yes, even if you only own Iron Fist #1, you can make a set in the Iron Fist 1 to 15 set, and just enter that one comic. Your set will then be given a score and a percent complete and be ranked and displayed with all of the other sets.

Arch

• Administrator
What exactly is the comic "score"?

I don't get it.

The score is a number assigned to reflect the relative rarity of the comics being collected. It's a way to help collectors identify which sets might be the most impressive or interesting to check out. Kind of like the Gallery on the CGC web site, where the appeal is to see some of the very highest grade single issues that CGC has seen, the appeal of the registry is to check out whole collections of comics and appreciate them. When a collector has dilligently assembled a complete run of a comic, it's impressive, and sharing the fruits of their labor with other passionate collectors can be a pretty cool thing.

Arch

• Administrator

There are some step-by-step instructions on the process on the Using The Registry page. Overall, I'd say it's pretty easy. The basics are, sign up for an account, pick a set you want to make, name it, and then enter your cert numbers.

Will you be adding them on a request basis?

Absolutely. We have a whole series of sets planned to be defined and scored on a fairly regular roll-out schedule. Feedback from these forums about what sets are the most anticipated will definitely be considered in that process.

Hmmm.... I'm not sure I'm following the question. The process for adding comics to your registered comics is the create a set that they're accepted in, and to enter their cert numbers in the appropriate slots. If you wanted to enter 3 copies of the same title and issue, you could either (a) create more than one set in that category and enter each copy in its own set, or (b) create the set and add the comic, then go back and edit the set and change the cert number in that slot to the new one and save it - but under this method although both comics would then be in our database, only one would actually show up for the public in that set.

Could you add Avengers 1-100?

Daredevil 1-50?

X-men 1-100?

We will note these in the "requested" column as we proceed. smile.gif

Do I ask enough question for ya?

Keep 'em coming. smile.gif

Arch

• Administrator
Looks great!

I'm not exactly sure how it works, but I would eventually like to see:

FF 1-102

FF 103-231

FF 232-293

FF 1-231

FF 1-293

Giant-Size (All: Avengers to X-Men)

Thanks.

Noted smile.gif

The list would be really great dena, so that way we wouldn't be asking for the same sets again and again.

• Administrator

There are some step-by-step instructions on the process on the Using The Registry page. Overall, I'd say it's pretty easy. The basics are, sign up for an account, pick a set you want to make, name it, and then enter your cert numbers.

blush.gif Oops. When I answered this question earlier I thought deathlok was asking how difficult it was for CGC to add new set categories for competition, not how difficult it was for a user to enter sets. Sorry if I misunderstood.

I plan on gathering a set of "Sunburst" cover variants of which include:

Amazing Spider-man 1

Hulk 1

Fantastic Four 1

Avengers 1

Iron Man 1

Thor 1

Webspinners 1

Peter Parker 1

Captain America 1

Will it be possible to register a set with these issues or will I have to register in 9 differant sets?