• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what is the deal with British buyers?

48 posts in this topic

All of a sudden I'm seeing a lot of interest in my somewhat expensive books from British buyers. Has the dollar hit a new all time low? Did they just recently remove customs charges on comics? Is it the 30th anniversary of Captain Britain and everyone is excited about comics again?

Seriously, I've sold like 1 or 2 comics to Brits in the last 4 years and now a bunch all in one week.

Hey listen, I'm thrilled. After dropping about $5K visiting the U.K. this summer (and $400 a night (AFTER a 50% discount!!!) staying at the Sheraton in London for the London portion of the trip) with the family I'm very happy to be getting some of that money back!

All of a sudden I'm seeing a lot of interest in my somewhat expensive books from British buyers. Has the dollar hit a new all time low? Did they just recently remove customs charges on comics? Is it the 30th anniversary of Captain Britain and everyone is excited about comics again?

Seriously, I've sold like 1 or 2 comics to Brits in the last 4 years and now a bunch all in one week.

Hey listen, I'm thrilled. After dropping about $5K visiting the U.K. this summer (and $400 a night (AFTER a 50% discount!!!) staying at the Sheraton in London for the London portion of the trip) with the family I'm very happy to be getting some of that money back!

The weak dollar against European currencies is probably having an effect. I know I would be buying if the roles were reversed...

Jim

No importation taxes on the FULL declared value of vintage paper collectibles.

confused.gif

Comics do not attract any customs duty and are zero VAT rated in the U.K. as they are classified as books. You can put down the full value of whatever you're sending to the U.K., although you must specify that the package contains comics.

As for the sudden explosion in British spending on U.S. paper collectibles, it's 'cause Britain finally paid off the loan money last year that it has owed to the U.S. since 1946. tongue.gif

confused.gif

Comics do not attract any customs duty and are zero VAT rated in the U.K. as they are classified as books. You can put down the full value of whatever you're sending to the U.K., although you must specify that the package contains comics.

As for the sudden explosion in British spending on U.S. paper collectibles, it's 'cause Britain finally paid off the loan money last year that it has owed to the U.S. since 1946. tongue.gif

Why do UK buyers always as for a reduced value on the packages then? They don't know?

R.

confused.gif

Why do UK buyers always as for a reduced value on the packages then? They don't know?

R.

I've never done that myself - I suspect that you're right however, they aren't aware of zero duty on comic books.

confused.gif

R.

I've never done that myself - I suspect that you're right however, they aren't aware of zero duty on comic books.

Good to know. thumbsup2.gif

yeah, but it's been that way for like a year or more, why am i doing so well now? weird.

Maybe it's the wealth effect from the value of their houses going up and up and up and up. Isn't it 15 consecutive years of increases in value now, or something like that?

yeah, but it's been that way for like a year or more, why am i doing so well now? weird.

Maybe it's the wealth effect from the value of their houses going up and up and up and up. Isn't it 15 consecutive years of increases in value now, or something like that?

They've been rising steadily since about 1996 - just when you think the market has topped out, they go up again. The British economy is basically index-linked with property values, and city bonuses that drive the top end of the market. Not to mention Russian oligarchs and foreign industry magnates buying the best places at top prices.

How that affects British comic collectors and their buying power is anyone's guess, though... tongue.gif

confused.gif

You were charged interest, right. stooges.gif

confused.gif

Very high interest. tonofbricks.gif

confused.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif We do appreciate the business. flowerred.gif

confused.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif We do appreciate the business. flowerred.gif
yeahok.gif Ah well, you gave us four color comics and rock 'n' roll...it's a fair trade off....

They've been rising steadily since about 1996 - just when you think the market has topped out, they go up again. The British economy is basically index-linked with property values, and city bonuses that drive the top end of the market. Not to mention Russian oligarchs and foreign industry magnates buying the best places at top prices.

How that affects British comic collectors and their buying power is anyone's guess, though... tongue.gif

Potentially could have a huge effect. A London-ite could sell his incredibly expensive flat, go buy a much cheaper place in, say, Leeds, and plow all the excess money into comics!

Potentially could have a huge effect. A London-ite could sell his incredibly expensive flat, go buy a much cheaper place in, say, Leeds, and plow all the excess money into comics!

If he was stupid enough to move to Leeds, he'd need something to cheer him up... tongue.gif