• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what is the deal with British buyers?

48 posts in this topic

All of a sudden I'm seeing a lot of interest in my somewhat expensive books from British buyers.

Not to count my chickens, but I'm looking at another solid pay rise if I move to the public sector this year...whats your website address? 893crossfingers-thumb.gifdevil.gif

Poor Andy, Servants in the castle asking for raises lol

It's definitely getting tough with some of the staff - my butler and chauffeur insist on Sunday morning off to go to church. And my cooks keep on spoiling the broth deliberately 'cause I don't pay 'em enough....

It's gotten so bad that I've decided to up sticks and move to a particularly ritzy area just near NYC, which is favored by the elite plutocracy of the comic business.

Apparently Richie Muchin resides there. wink.gif

For me its the exchange rate. I have started looking more in the US than I have previously.

On the customs declaration I have never asked for a lower amount to be entered but several people have done this automatically including Metro. I wondered if this would have any impact if you had to claim for a lost package (ie would they only pay out on the stated amount)

For me its the exchange rate. I have started looking more in the US than I have previously.

On the customs declaration I have never asked for a lower amount to be entered but several people have done this automatically including Metro. I wondered if this would have any impact if you had to claim for a lost package (ie would they only pay out on the stated amount)

My understanding is that, if a package is insured, you must state the full amount on the package, or you cannot post it, so I think the point is mute.

If it's not insured, you can put anything on it, but it's irrelevant...because it's not insured.

And it is absolutely correct...comics do not attract any form of tax or duty coming into the UK. I know because twice now, I've taken on Customs & Excise and won. The correct description on the customs form should be 'Printed Matter - Used Comic Books' and it'll get a free pass. thumbsup2.gif

we'd probably buy even more if ebay sellers didn't insist on charging us $20-$25 or more to ship a single cgc book

I went to our local P.O. here in the U.S. today to check on shipping a CGC slab to the U.K. - cost was $ 21.10 before I even put tape on the box - what am I missing here?

how were you shipping it ?

nikos managed to ship me a slab for $13, and generally when I get packages through from the states, the postage labels on the boxes are in the $12-$15 range

I'm not too up on the shipping options available to you, but there's definitely cheaper ones than $21 unless prices have risen massively in the past 3 months.

in fact looking at my last 2 boxes to arrive from the states

one has $12.10 shipping on it

the other one $9.45

Must have been letter post, which is not insurable and can be used up to 4 pounds. The Parcel Post rates, which is insurable, is at the $20 level.

in fact looking at my last 2 boxes to arrive from the states

one has $12.10 shipping on it

the other one $9.45

Must have been letter post, which is not insurable and can be used up to 4 pounds. The Parcel Post rates, which is insurable, is at the $20 level.

Hmmmm..., the postal worker told me the package, which was about 1 lb 6 oz, was too heavy to go letter post.

Global priority would be cheaper, except the slabs don't fit in the box.

My understanding is that, if a package is insured, you must state the full amount on the package, or you cannot post it, so I think the point is mute.

If it's not insured, you can put anything on it, but it's irrelevant...because it's not insured.

And it is absolutely correct...comics do not attract any form of tax or duty coming into the UK. I know because twice now, I've taken on Customs & Excise and won. The correct description on the customs form should be 'Printed Matter - Used Comic Books' and it'll get a free pass. thumbsup2.gif

O RLY? hm

Dead thread revival. I discovered this because I got hit with some VAT and handling charges on one of my comics from the US, which didn't seem right, and now I know it isn't! Customs are impossible to get on the phone though :mad:

I guess I'll have to try writing to them. How quaint.

O RLY? hm

Dead thread revival. I discovered this because I got hit with some VAT and handling charges on one of my comics from the US, which didn't seem right, and now I know it isn't! Customs are impossible to get on the phone though :mad:

I guess I'll have to try writing to them. How quaint.

Next time, refuse to accept the package and get the Post Office/Parcelforce to send it up to the Customs section at Coventry International Hub. I got my last book back, with all duty removed, within six weeks. (thumbs u