• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what is the deal with British buyers?

48 posts in this topic

For me its the exchange rate. I have started looking more in the US than I have previously.

On the customs declaration I have never asked for a lower amount to be entered but several people have done this automatically including Metro. I wondered if this would have any impact if you had to claim for a lost package (ie would they only pay out on the stated amount)

My understanding is that, if a package is insured, you must state the full amount on the package, or you cannot post it, so I think the point is mute.

If it's not insured, you can put anything on it, but it's irrelevant...because it's not insured.

And it is absolutely correct...comics do not attract any form of tax or duty coming into the UK. I know because twice now, I've taken on Customs & Excise and won. The correct description on the customs form should be 'Printed Matter - Used Comic Books' and it'll get a free pass. thumbsup2.gif

O RLY? hm

Dead thread revival. I discovered this because I got hit with some VAT and handling charges on one of my comics from the US, which didn't seem right, and now I know it isn't! Customs are impossible to get on the phone though :mad:

I guess I'll have to try writing to them. How quaint.

Bear in mind that the reason for this is that the customs form presumably didn't specify that what you received was a comic book - this happened to me once. In that instance the seller wrote down the titles of the books and nothing else. Got stung for a fee, but after writing to them (which is mandatory, I'm afraid) explaining everything I got my money back.

Except for the £8 "handling" charge from customs, which was non-refundable. :mad:

Ah well, you gave us four color comics and rock 'n' roll...it's a fair trade off....

Maybe not so fair.... We also gave you Madonna :acclaim:

Good point. Sadly she's non-returnable.... :frustrated:

I don't even know how some of you guys live out there. Just listening to some British accents on TV drive me up the wall.

I don't even know how some of you guys live out there. Just listening to some British accents on TV drive me up the wall.

How do you think I feel? I have to put up that bloody accent every time I open my mouth lol

Thanks for the advice FT and goldust. I'll be requesting my VAT back (thumbs u

For me its the exchange rate. I have started looking more in the US than I have previously.

On the customs declaration I have never asked for a lower amount to be entered but several people have done this automatically including Metro. I wondered if this would have any impact if you had to claim for a lost package (ie would they only pay out on the stated amount)

My understanding is that, if a package is insured, you must state the full amount on the package, or you cannot post it, so I think the point is mute.

If it's not insured, you can put anything on it, but it's irrelevant...because it's not insured.

And it is absolutely correct...comics do not attract any form of tax or duty coming into the UK. I know because twice now, I've taken on Customs & Excise and won. The correct description on the customs form should be 'Printed Matter - Used Comic Books' and it'll get a free pass. thumbsup2.gif

O RLY? hm

Dead thread revival. I discovered this because I got hit with some VAT and handling charges on one of my comics from the US, which didn't seem right, and now I know it isn't! Customs are impossible to get on the phone though :mad:

Bear in mind that the reason for this is that the customs form presumably didn't specify that what you received was a comic book - this happened to me once. In that instance the seller wrote down the titles of the books and nothing else. Got stung for a fee, but after writing to them (which is mandatory, I'm afraid) explaining everything I got my money back.

Except for the £8 "handling" charge from customs, which was non-refundable. :mad:

Which is why you refuse the package, rather than accept it and then write. It's gets delivered back to you with ALL charges removed. (thumbs u

Ah well, you gave us four color comics and rock 'n' roll...it's a fair trade off....

Maybe not so fair.... We also gave you Madonna :acclaim:

Good point. Sadly she's non-returnable.... :frustrated:

Imagine how I feel...the wife's American and I have to put up with it 24/7 :cry:

O RLY? hm

Which is why you refuse the package, rather than accept it and then write. It's gets delivered back to you with ALL charges removed. (thumbs u

Thanks for the tip, FT...unfortunately for me I just couldn't wait to open the box (it was a big package), so I had to pay.