• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

click the front page of CGC. Looks cool!

46 posts in this topic

I'm surprised no one posted about this earlier. I noticed it about 2 hours ago.

I never realized, or maybe it's new, that they certify photographs.

What if the photograph is signed? confused-smiley-013.gif

CGC certification of photos is actually not new at all. i think they still certify antique prints, but i may be mistaken

The new one looks flashy...almost to the extent of being gimmicky like the PGX site...I know they want to look more Modern and to that extent they have...I do like the polished look of the original...this will probably grow on me...the sponsor images are definitely distracting. The new content looks good...but again a lot of this will not age well just like the old web site...so unless this stuff stays dynamic by keeping the latest information in the forefront we will have a rinse and repeat situation. The color scheme looks more colorful but offbeat compared to the "chat boards" and the "collector society"--I don't know if they have goals to increase the synergy in look and feel. I do like the caption balloon effect.

Sal, sorry to hear about your situation.

I think it's a big improvement as well, but the advertising is too prominent. Given how skeptical some people are about CGC - and I am not one of them - it will not help to have advertising displayed almost as prominently as the CGC logo itself. Apart from that, it looks great, especially seeing the events right up front...

I'm surprised no one posted about this earlier. I noticed it about 2 hours ago.

I never realized, or maybe it's new, that they certify photographs.

What if the photograph is signed? confused-smiley-013.gif

CGC certification of photos is actually not new at all. i think they still certify antique prints, but i may be mistaken

From around 2-3 years ago? CGC was 5, so what's that, 2004?.

http://stlcomics.com/columns/ironslab/IV/

"3. What's up with CGC grading (Parrino's) photos?

SB: Some extra revenue for the company. We are in business to make money, we were asked to grade these photos and put them in a holder with a label and that is what we are doing. I have nothing to do with this outside of helping set the grading standards and training graders, it is just under the CGC umbrella. If successful, the CCG might open a photo service that is not under CGC. "

Personally, I am not a fan of the new page. Looks to clutterred, too gaudy. It seems to me that when companies start to lose market share they do something like this, like Yahoo did. The more sucessful companies like Google don't have to go overboard.

There just seems to be too much content. But like Yahoo's page I'll just live with it.

But that's just my opionion.