• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRADING CONTEST : Round 1

161 posts in this topic

how does a corner crease get a 9.6

Ssssshhhhhh. No whining. Everyone else got it right, so it must be ok to have a 1/4 inch crease in a 9.6. gossip.gif

I thought the same thing. I told Nikos I decided to be a hardass and go with 9.4.

I was in the 9.6 --> 9.4 school of thought too due to the crease.

frown.gif

Ssssshhhhhh. No whining. Everyone else got it right, so it must be ok to have a 1/4 inch crease in a 9.6. gossip.gif

This isn't "Guess The Grade", it's "Guess The CGC Grade".

BTW, there isn't a corner crease.

When you lighten up the scan (to counter the horrible contrast), there are more flaws than just the obvious corner bend frown.gif

Really?

More flaws other then the obvious bend

Do tell popcorn.gif

Since you asked...

1603562-adjusted.jpg

I can't believe you resort to digital manipulation to assist you in grading, then get it wrong because of it, then maintiain the position that you were right, and that everyone else is wrong . . . is this how you live in real life? One excuse after another, and then whine all the way home? 27_laughing.gif

stooges.gif

This isn't "Guess The Grade", it's "Guess The CGC Grade".

BTW, there isn't a corner crease.

sumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gif

It's the whiners around here that make me not want to post books for them to grade . . . grin.gif

They can't grade there way out of a paper bag . . .

Oh and OG's got it right: We're grading scans of a book graded by someone else, who just happens to be holding the book in hand. If you think it's anything more than a guessing game . . . you're walking down the wrong path. devil.gif

I can't believe you resort to digital manipulation to assist you in grading, then get it wrong because of it, then maintiain the position that you were right, and that everyone else is wrong . . . is this how you live in real life? One excuse after another, and then whine all the way home? 27_laughing.gif

stooges.gif

I resorted because the scan that was supplied (which, unfortunately I'm sure we will get more of) was severely manipulated in the first place (with the high contrast) making it very difficult to see what is going on in the blacks. Going by cgc results, will have to go by what is seen (non adjusted) confused-smiley-013.gif

gossip.gif I would have said 9.6 prior to the level adjustment

Arch got it right when he posted this.

"NOTE: GRADING FROM A SCAN IS NOT RELIABLE, it's just interesting."

Unless we hold a grading contest that involves shipping RAW books around the world for each persn to guess the grades, and them send those books into CGC, this online contest is nothing more then a nice distraction from our normal day. And a welcome one at that.

I am just mad I totally forgot about the Nikos bump

What was I thinking, 9.4?.. what an eediot.

As Farley would say.

"Stupid, Stupid, Stupid.

foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif

stooges.gif

I resorted because the scan that was supplied (which, unfortunately I'm sure we will get more of) was severely manipulated in the first place (with the high contrast) making it very difficult to see what is going on in the blacks. Going by cgc results, will have to go by what is seen (non adjusted) confused-smiley-013.gif

is this how you live in real life? So the answer is Yes? 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

Arch got it right when he posted this.

"NOTE: GRADING FROM A SCAN IS NOT RELIABLE, it's just interesting."

Unless we hold a grading contest that involves shipping RAW books around the world for each persn to guess the grades, and them send those books into CGC, this online contest is nothing more then a nice distraction from our normal day. And a welcome one at that.

Totally agree thumbsup2.gif

I dont know you but let me just clear the air here.

I do not adjust or manipulate any of my scans. confused-smiley-013.gif

I bought this book Raw from Doug Sulipa. He also had it graded at a 9.6.

IMHO, he is probably one of the best Raw graders in our hobby today. I have yet to receive a grade less then what he claims, and usually the grades comes back higher from CGC then what he had estimated.

So go ahead and draw all those pretty little circles and look for defects that are not there tongue.gif

Nik don't worry about the negitive comments. Just do what you do baby! thumbsup2.gif

Roger that comrade, this is a game. Not a person_without_enough_empathying session you spooning spoons.

I believe you both meant to use the singular . . . grin.gif

stooges.gif

sign-funnypost.gif how anal can you get... you guess at a grade, get it wrong, and then naturally questions the entire set-up accusing Nik of foul play... grow up, this is a fun guessing contest nothing more than that... geeeezzzzz !! i guessed at 9.4 as well, for the same reasons you did, but its not about being right or wrong, its about guessing the grade CGC gave it. Nothing less, nothing more sumo.gif