• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Valiants...

34 posts in this topic

Hey, guys...

Is it me, or is there a resurgence in Valiant titles these days, some of the harder to get variants are actually selling now as well as some of the regular(not hard to get) runs... Odd? They are cheap and the early issues do read quite well. But a year ago, you couldn't give'em away... Just somthing I'm noticing a bit these days.

What are your thoughts?

'best

Bronzejunkie

(and no, I am not sitting on a wharehouse of copies and trying to whoop up the masses so that I can sell them for big bucks... In fact I only have a few and am starting to get interested in maybe finishing a few runs while they are still pennies a copy)

Despite the fact that Valiant crashed HARD, I've found that there has always been interest in Valiants from two sections in the Valiant back issue market.

The earliest pre-unity Valiants have extremely low print runs so completists are still out there trying to get first issues of Rai, Magnus, Solar, X-O, and Harbinger. I repeatedly get asked for Rai 3 and 4.

At the other end of the spectrum are the later Acclaim issues of Magnus, X-O, Solar, Harbinger, et al. Aside from perhaps Turok, no one was buying these titles when they were all eventually cancelled for Acclaim's relaunch of the V2 line. There were people who are seeking to complete a collection of V1 books and they are looking for these final issues.

Acclaim was pretty stupid because they did not take into account that some people were actually fans of the characters, not the concepts. I collected the V1 X-O, Eternal Warrior and Turok right through to their cancellation for the V2 reboot. I was not interested in any of the V2 reboots and steered clear.They were completely out of touch with their readers, especially towards the end when people were actually buying the Unity 2000 crossover by Shooter and Starlin because they wanted to know what happened to the V1 characters. Too bad only three issues were published... #3 is especially tough to find. I've been offered some pretty decent coin for it from local collectors who didn't realize it had even been published. They think that only two issues were published... Overstreet only acknowledges that two issues were published.

As for in between Valiant, you can wallpaper your home with them for pennies a book. I have a box of them I've picked up as part of various collections over the years and most are priced at 50 cents/book. (Which is probably still too much).

Kev

Some of these titles actually made for good reading. I enjoyed the Valiant books back in the early 90's, until the company lost focus and the quality dropped.

Well, that gives me hope that the Rai 0, 3, and 4 I am selling in one auction make me a wee bit of cash:) I have noticed in the past couple of months that past "key," or so-called low print run Valiant books have become hot again...not 150 dollars for Magnus 12 hot, but hot nonetheless.

Christopher H.

Its going to happen. Its only a matter of time. I wouldnt stress over it too much C.I. Just kick back and laugh like me when it hits the fan. This is why i collect my Joes. I dont give a if nobody wants them. I WANT THEM and thats all that matters. If I ever decide to sell them and make or lose a few bucks......so be it. I wont have to mortgage my house to cover my losses from this Ultimate craze or any other craze for that matter. Ooops, almost forgot...nearly lost my shirt on the whole Pokemon craze. Had to catch them all mad.gif

I have recently acquired some high grade low print Valiant books for possible value down the road. I wasn't a real big valiant fan, my boyfriend LOVES them, but i do see a possibility of value 20 years or so down the road!

As for the stories and art i've always felt both were overatted, but certainly solid reads.

Becca

I enjoyed the early Valiants myself, and as you said, there wasn't anything overly spectacular about them on either the story or the art ends of things, it was just that they were great reads.

I enjoyed the cohesiveness of the Valiant universe. Regrettably things went to hell about a year after Shooter left and the books never recovered. And by the time Shooter got around to replicating Valiant as Defiant no one cared... including me.

Valiant Comics are to the 1990's what Atlas Comics were to the 1970's.

Kev