• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ARE CGC 9.6 COPIES ALLOWED TO HAVE A PRE MARVEL CHIP??

22 posts in this topic

If CGC allows pre-chips in a 9.6 then the grade is devalued.

Don't know if i agree. I look at it more as a personal preference. Much like date stamps, miswraps and centering. There was a time period when you couldn't find a Marvel without any of these defects. I think it adds character to the book as it harkens my mind back to a time when dominating DC corp. was trying to crush Marvel and they (Marvel) had to make do with some of the cr@ppiest printing equipment on the planet. I have a soft spot for early SA Marvels simply because of the type of ink, paper and production process the used. That's just me though...romance and beauty are in the eye of the beholder. Some people go ga-ga for 10 cent DC's...to me they are an absolute joke. Pink covers, poor art, wacky storys. So just personal preference as far as I'm concerned. confused-smiley-013.gif

R.

Nostalgia aside it's not like you can't find early Marvels without chipping, and not just in high grade. To be honest I have a problem with any notable manufacturing defect being considered 9.6 or better, especially tears, chips and creases. Miswraps and less than perfect centering are perhaps okay if minor, as they do not compromise the physical integrity of a book. As for date stamps and distributor markings, since the collecting community has largely embraced these sort of imperfections, especially in the case of pedigrees, I give them a pass in 9.6 unless they are so obtrusive as to deface the book.

As for there having been a day when Marvel chipping had no effect on grade, It must have been in the 80s or something, because when I collected in the 70s it was sure considered a defect.

As for there having been a day when Marvel chipping had no effect on grade, It must have been in the 80s or something, because when I collected in the 70s it was sure considered a defect.

It was treated like a sub-crease. tongue.gif