• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
23 23

4,845 posts in this topic

On 12/14/2021 at 11:10 AM, Jaylam said:

Auction on ComicLink ending tonight, this super rare offering of Carmine Infantino Silver Age original art is up for grabs. Better yet, it's the title page from the iconic Flash puppet issue, #133. I'm curious, is anyone here going for it?

1788382690_flash133infantinoart.jpg.4bc897b7ae19eb70582c653048f17b6b.jpg

I would love to! But alas...

On 12/14/2021 at 12:10 PM, Jaylam said:

Auction on ComicLink ending tonight, this super rare offering of Carmine Infantino Silver Age original art is up for grabs. Better yet, it's the title page from the iconic Flash puppet issue, #133. I'm curious, is anyone here going for it?

1788382690_flash133infantinoart.jpg.4bc897b7ae19eb70582c653048f17b6b.jpg

Sold for $10,251. It wasn't me, I just don't have that much loose change in my jar.

On 12/15/2021 at 7:27 PM, flashlites said:

Congratulations!!!:banana::banana:  is it worth 2 or 3 dancing bananas?

Let's give it 2. It's a stunning, very fresh looking copy, advertised as a 9.2 with a few minor indentations to the front and back covers, but what concerns me is it has a defect (thumb bend/crease) along the bottom of the back cover that I think might limit it to an 8.5 even after a press. I'll probably eventually send it to Joey Post for a press along with some other books I'm building up to send in. Still, I'm just happy to finally get one of these in high grade.

On 12/16/2021 at 8:44 AM, SpeedforceKJ said:

Amazing issue and great copy. I used this issue to purpose to my wife since Barry and Iris get engaged in it. 

These 2 pages from the story are a great set up. The visual device of the expanding blackness created a mysterious and creepy aspect to the beginning of the story that really made it unique and kept me curious and involved.

457958469_FLASH1511_edited.jpg.9f2218ffa43e66c111f874b8edc57bbe.jpg264863201_FLASH1512_edited.jpg.52aea009ef784c583641c48772b481e1.jpg

On 12/15/2021 at 5:46 PM, Jaylam said:

Sold for $10,251. It wasn't me, I just don't have that much loose change in my jar.

My computer froze at 1.40 to go and by the time I rebooted - of course the benefit is my wife, who says "darling if you want it, you have worked so hard, buy it" - but also says " you paid what ?? If I tell my friends  that they will think you are mad" - I then tell her I am married to someone with no artistic soul. SA Splashes at auction only two in 6 years, although maybe four have sold privately, and two of those had not been seen since 1964 and 1976 respectively. As many of those original comic fans and early collectors are retiring, we have probably seen more DC SA stuff emerge in last 3 years than maybe over a decade before that.

Edited by Terry E. Gibbs

On 12/16/2021 at 10:58 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

My computer froze at 1.40 to go and by the time I rebooted - of course the benefit is my wife, who says "darling if you want it, you have worked so hard, buy it" - but also says " you paid what ?? If I tell my friends  that they will think you are mad" - I then tell her I am married to someone with no artistic soul. SA Splashes at auction only two in 6 years, although maybe four have sold privately, and two of those had not been seen since 1964 and 1976 respectively. As many of those original comic fans and early collectors are retiring, we have probably seen more DC SA stuff emerge in last 3 years than maybe over a decade before that.

So you were going for it? I thought about it, but my wife would have killed me or worse (even though I've proven time and time again investing in these collectibles has been a smart choice). Actually, I was somewhat surprised at its final price as it sold for less than I thought it would considering how much more some other pieces were going for.

On 12/19/2021 at 10:41 PM, frozentundraguy said:

I visited the LCS yesterday. While I was there I asked the own er what he had in S.A. Flash in higher grade. Ironically all he had was issue #138. Unfortunately I already have a slabbed copy and a raw copy.   I don't recall ever shared a scan of my copy of Flash #138 before slabbing.

Below is my copy before and after entombing.

image.jpeg.7ce17f8e8f92000aad13a840480ad55a.jpeg

image.jpeg.16a72feb074ee008bd2c9be897205d36.jpeg

Very nice copy there!!! :banana::banana:

@frozentundraguy "I visited the LCS yesterday. While I was there I asked the own er what he had in S.A. Flash in higher grade. Ironically all he had was issue #138." 

Say, how high of grade would you say it is and what did they want for it? I might be interested if it's nice enough. And by the way, your copy looks nicer than a 7.0, what held it back?

Edited by Jaylam

I didn't really take a close look at the book, so I just checked his website and found it's a 5.0. As a disclaimer I should mention the vast majority of his G.A. and S.A. books are between FR and GD, so many of his higher grade books are not what most here would consider high grade. :cry:  A better way to state this would be some of his books are separated from the average ones stored in long boxes. A few of these are true high grade, but many are separated due to rarity, G.A. books above 2.0, and desirability, S.A. books above 3.0.

As far as my copy of #138, there is a small light water stain on the lower edge of the back cover about half the size of a quarter, that keeps it from grading higher.

Edited by frozentundraguy

On 12/20/2021 at 9:06 AM, frozentundraguy said:

I didn't really take a close look at the book, so I just checked his website and found it's a 5.0. As a disclaimer I should mention the vast majority of his G.A. and S.A. books are between FR and GD, so many of his higher grade books are not what most here would consider high grade. :cry:  A better way to state this would be some of his books are separated from the average ones stored in long boxes. A few of these are true high grade, but many are separated due to rarity, G.A. books above 2.0, and desirability, S.A. books above 3.0.

As far as my copy of #138, there is a small light water stain on the lower edge of the back cover about half the size of a quarter, that keeps it from grading higher.

Hey, thank you for the reply.
Oh yes, CGC hates water stains, they will kill the grade of a book over it. I have learned to be on the look out for such defects on otherwise high grade looking books. 

On 12/20/2021 at 6:47 AM, Obrie2tm said:

Anyone have copies of SA Brazilian editions of the Flash? I just picked up the cover art to one and am currently looking for a copy of the printed version. 

Screenshot_20211219-141533.png

I have British, German, Italian and Australian and Argentinian. The Australian are local and the British and Argentinian were brought from the US. Overall my experience in buying from a country where English was not first language was that it was a lot harder than I thought. Even with a google translator, there seemed to be stuff lost in misinterpretation. I would be very interested to see that Brazilian edition, I am guessing it is 125. Good pick up, something different for your collection. Wonder why they did not go with the 125 cover ?? Most other original covers used are when the back story is run as the single story and they either revamp the Splash page, or use a original Cinf page, that was not used. Why the revamp for this ??