• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
23 23

4,845 posts in this topic

On 1/3/2023 at 12:36 PM, Jaylam said:

Just watched an old episode of Twilight Zone called "Mirror Image" (Season 1, episode 21, Febuary 1960) and couldn't help but draw the comparison between it and the creation of Earth-1 and Earth-2. I wonder if Mr. Schwartz was inspired by the suggestion of co-existing parallel universes used in this episode when he first introduced the concept in Flash #123?

I recall watching that episode, and thought they packed quite an armful of suspense into 30 minutes at the bus depot. About 4 years ago I watched all of the episodes of Twilight Zone. One of my favorites was episode 13 from season 3. Buster Keaton travels from 1890 to 1961, and back. I think it the only episode played entirely for laughs.

On 1/4/2023 at 8:54 AM, frozentundraguy said:

I recall watching that episode, and thought they packed quite an armful of suspense into 30 minutes at the bus depot. About 4 years ago I watched all of the episodes of Twilight Zone. One of my favorites was episode 13 from season 3. Buster Keaton travels from 1890 to 1961, and back. I think it the only episode played entirely for laughs.

I love those old Twilight Zone episodes. They did so much with so little. The story telling, pacing and acting carried the show, something that seems lost today. You couldn't help but get sucked in and invested in the suspense and tension of the story. 

On 1/6/2023 at 12:50 AM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Not SA but SA artist so, always thought it continued on from his early run. Colour guides vs printed pages. I know the printed stuff has faded but doubt it has faded that much. Also the pages are larger.

001.jpg

004.jpg

These color guides are very interesting Terry! I'd like to know more about them in the process. As far as production goes I would think the colorist would like to have a mock up a bit larger than the original to work with. But the originals were on bristle board and were about 1/3 larger than the finished page. These color guides are only slightly larger.  What medium did they use to mock up the color, can you tell? Another burning question in my mind has always been is were they reproduced in true CYMK 4-color process from these color guides or were they reproduced using registered overlays and hand cut tones and values? I've never taken a closer look with a loop on these interior pages.

On 1/3/2023 at 1:36 PM, Jaylam said:

Just watched an old episode of Twilight Zone called "Mirror Image" (Season 1, episode 21, Febuary 1960) and couldn't help but draw the comparison between it and the creation of Earth-1 and Earth-2. I wonder if Mr. Schwartz was inspired by the suggestion of co-existing parallel universes used in this episode when he first introduced the concept in Flash #123?

This post reminded me I purchased all 5 seasons of the twilight zone a while back. Classic show that I meant to binge watch. Just watched Mirror Image… Welcome to the Multiverse! 2 existences, side by side… Dude from Binghamton called the cops on the “confused” lady. Then he became part of the same craziness. When running after himself I, too, was reminded of 123.
I was born a raised in central New York so all the town references (Tully!?!) sent me down memory lane. I’ve got some binging to do. 

On 1/9/2023 at 6:00 PM, GrasshopperFF said:

Have y’all seen the Showcase 4 in the current Heritage auction? It’s a 6.5. Does it fetch $70k or something closer to $30k? Purely observing, not bidding. 1CA74C92-1D81-4F1E-B20A-CF0A1426D447.thumb.jpeg.5a1747213b31e96fe3e7aa7e0ed00af0.jpeg

This 6.5 was graded in November of last year. There are now a whopping (12) 6.5’s. Gotta love just how rare this book truly is. 

On 1/10/2023 at 3:40 PM, evilskip said:

Picked these up from an online seller I've been buying from for years. The Flash 147 is a 1.5 as it has staining (coffee?) on the back cover  and along the left side of the front cover. The 148 is a vg with an sc which for some reason is heavier on the back cover than the front. The 150 is a 5.5. Really happy with the three of them

1881 (4)-1040x1040.jpg

2172 (1)-1040x1040.jpg

2172 (3)-1040x1040.jpg

Very nice pick ups there! Congratulations! That's worth at least a couple of dancing bananas! :banana::banana:

On 1/14/2023 at 11:35 PM, flashlites said:

For you Flash collectors out there, how many of you are striving towards a complete run? I am curious, am I an outlier? I am now thinking about filling in all the gaps from 1987-present. Is that madness?:insane:

Certainly won't break the bank. Are you talking about "Flash" or "Barry Allen/Flash".