• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
23 23

4,845 posts in this topic

On 11/15/2021 at 6:24 PM, flashlites said:

Flash toys? That could be interesting. But if I remember right the first Flash toy was that little running figure from the 1980's?? Does anyone know of an earlier toy?

I'm sad to say, I never really collected many toys. But, now regret never getting started. Just a few modern action figures. I used to have a ring, but I don't know where it went. I need to restart.

Rob Jennings was one of the Super Fans back in the early days of the SA and his Fanzine was one of the better ones. This issue features our beloved Rogues. Fandom back then was all about comic enjoyment, the money aspect was still a few years away. (Pay 25c for FF1, that is robbery !!!!). (and no I have not read it yet. Only had it for three years,... give me time !! )

001.JPG

002.JPG

004.JPG

On 11/16/2021 at 2:24 AM, flashlites said:

Flash toys? That could be interesting. But if I remember right the first Flash toy was that little running figure from the 1980's?? Does anyone know of an earlier toy?

Did someone say toys? 

My 1999 Jack in the Box Flash had to wait a decade for a proper fast food nemesis, this came in the form of 2011 Happy Meal Captain Cold!

8ADA73CB-EF21-491C-A8F8-EBE81B9B3D71.jpeg

BEFDB7-C3-FC00-49-C9-81-BA-3-E73-F08-FA9

Edited by BJCCCAT

This is real deep hardcore fandom stuff, but back in the late 50's  Roy Thomas (yes that Roy Thomas and Jerry Bails - a Uni Professor) lead a campaign to revive a lot of DC Golden Age heroes. (which culminated in Flash 123, Flash of Two Worlds and JLA 21, the first Crisis cross over) They released what may have been the first comic fanzine, Alter Ego, and had yearly competitions which reader could vote for best comic story best art, worst comic (won by Wonder Woman but Hulk did get a runner up spot). Well John Broome and Garner Fox one some awards (Flash 123 was voted best comic - not bad considering it ran against first spider-man and first Dr Doom, ) and they sent back letter of thanks. Of interest is John's last sentence, which came to pass long after John had left the hobby and something he was not actually aware of until the 1990 SDCC panel he did.

014.JPG

015.JPG

016.JPG

On 11/23/2021 at 5:24 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

This is real deep hardcore fandom stuff, but back in the late 50's  Roy Thomas (yes that Roy Thomas and Jerry Bails - a Uni Professor) lead a campaign to revive a lot of DC Golden Age heroes. (which culminated in Flash 123, Flash of Two Worlds and JLA 21, the first Crisis cross over) They released what may have been the first comic fanzine, Alter Ego, and had yearly competitions which reader could vote for best comic story best art, worst comic (won by Wonder Woman but Hulk did get a runner up spot). Well John Broome and Garner Fox one some awards (Flash 123 was voted best comic - not bad considering it ran against first spider-man and first Dr Doom, ) and they sent back letter of thanks. Of interest is John's last sentence, which came to pass long after John had left the hobby and something he was not actually aware of until the 1990 SDCC panel he did.

Thank you for posting these. I have seen a few issues, but not specifically these letters. Kudos for keeping the history alive.

On 11/24/2021 at 10:57 AM, BJCCCAT said:

Any one have a spot in your home that you consider to be your “Flash Shrine”?  I have a small dedicated space that I rotate comics and statues through.  I’d love to see yours…

BE71A8E7-AB67-4A37-886B-9269EC1E2542.thumb.jpeg.2d04be6afebeadbc3bfbd7719f1b93c0.jpeg

BEFDB7-C3-FC00-49-C9-81-BA-3-E73-F08-FA9

Nice pic. I don't have one yet. I need a few more statues. And, I want my ring back!

On 11/23/2021 at 7:24 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

014.JPG

015.JPG

016.JPG

Great iconic stuff there Terry! Thanks so much for sharing! You know I am a huge fan of Mr. Broome's. There is very little out there about him but every once in a great while I discover something new from him. I am so glad to see this! I knew about Alter Ego and Roy but I have never had a chance to see inside one of these early issues!

image.png.f9ea16ec1458fde68987c357c8a613e8.png

Happy Thanksgiving to all you wonderful Flash Fans! After years of collecting I finally found my tribe here on the boards with you. I am so glad to know you all and so grateful and thankful to have found my way here to this thread! I began collecting Flash some time in the early 1970's and for decades I was always the only Flash collector I knew of. I knew there had to be more out there! You all have taught me so much and shared new things with me here, I will be forever grateful! And for my fellow Texas Flash fans lets start working on that great Texas get together we were planning before the pandemic! Of course you all are invited if you can make the trip to our fair state. PM me and lets put something on the books for 2022!

I do not collect the toys but over the years friends and family, knowing my interests have given me a few things. Here they reside on top of one of my bookshelves. I love the history of comic books and am putting together a library of related books on comics (with an emphasis on the Flash of course). :cloud9:

image.thumb.png.b6357cf72b780e75d065587790c1bc33.png

Notice the little Flash in the front next to Captain Cold? I believe he is the first Flash toy from the 1980's? Is that true? Is there an earlier Flash toy?

image.png.b5803e75ca1c4471a2b7c7a139cc15bb.png

Edited by flashlites

On 11/25/2021 at 3:01 PM, flashlites said:

I do not collect the toys but over the years friends and family, knowing my interests have given me a few things. Here they reside on top of one of my bookshelves. I love the history of comic books and am putting together a library of related books on comics (with an emphasis on the Flash of course). :cloud9:

image.thumb.png.b6357cf72b780e75d065587790c1bc33.png

Notice the little Flash in the front next to Captain Cold? I believe he is the first Flash toy from the 1980's? Is that true? Is there an earlier Flash toy?

image.png.b5803e75ca1c4471a2b7c7a139cc15bb.png

Thanks for sharing, some gems in there!  I see I'm not the only one with McDonalds Captain Cold!!!  I also spy your Eagle Moss, I have nearly a full Flash and Villains collection I'll have to share in a future post.  I believe the first action figure had a function, like squeezing the legs made the arms move, does your do that?  There were a few Flash MEGOs in the 70s.  I believe the below, Kid Flash, was the first ever Flash toy, as Barry Allen's MEGO came later.  As far as my favorite Flash figures go, they are the more recent Infinite Heroes figures from 2008-10.  They had so many cool combo packs and featured Jay, Barry, Wally, and loads of villains.  

image.jpeg.841ccb97bf0893070b575f22305271f9.jpegDC Universe Crisis Infinite Heroes Weather Wizard, Flash I Mirror Master  3.75 Action Figure 3-Pack 8 Mattel Toys - ToyWiz