• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
23 23

4,843 posts in this topic

On 11/25/2021 at 11:35 AM, BJCCCAT said:

Thanks for sharing, some gems in there!  I see I'm not the only one with McDonalds Captain Cold!!!  I also spy your Eagle Moss, I have nearly a full Flash and Villains collection I'll have to share in a future post.  I believe the first action figure had a function, like squeezing the legs made the arms move, does your do that?  There were a few Flash MEGOs in the 70s.  I believe the below, Kid Flash, was the first ever Flash toy, as Barry Allen's MEGO came later.  As far as my favorite Flash figures go, they are the more recent Infinite Heroes figures from 2008-10.  They had so many cool combo packs and featured Jay, Barry, Wally, and loads of villains.  

image.jpeg.841ccb97bf0893070b575f22305271f9.jpegDC Universe Crisis Infinite Heroes Weather Wizard, Flash I Mirror Master  3.75 Action Figure 3-Pack 8 Mattel Toys - ToyWiz

I never saw a Mego Flash figure in the 70's. If that Kid Flash is a real 1970's figure that may be the first. It's not the Flash but it is a Flash. Yes my little 1980's Flash has the 'running legs' action :cloud9:

On 11/26/2021 at 2:57 AM, flashlites said:

I never saw a Mego Flash figure in the 70's. If that Kid Flash is a real 1970's figure that may be the first. It's not the Flash but it is a Flash. Yes my little 1980's Flash has the 'running legs' action :cloud9:

image.png.dc192302f2a4149725851b53c6ef4f2a.png

I have now gone down the MEGO "rabbit hole" much deeper than I ever would have wanted to...  You definitely did NOT see a "The Flash" MEGO in the 70s, as MEGO doesn't appear to have ever made him, although you will find hoards of fake "re-production" Flash MEGOs???  How do you re-produce something that was never produced to begin with?

That said, Kid Flash remains the only Speedster MEGO ever showed any love towards.  He was released in 1977 as part of the Teen Titans retailer assortment.  I found the 1977 Retailer Order Form, it appears as the first line of the Super Heroes collection. 

So, I will say now with my best certainty, that yes sir, you do posses the first "The Flash" figure.  The 1984 Kenner Super Powers Collection Flash.  A great piece of Flash History!

image.jpeg.8856731e27a30edf2a78b1a78867f37e.jpeg

On 11/26/2021 at 2:49 AM, BJCCCAT said:

image.png.dc192302f2a4149725851b53c6ef4f2a.png

I have now gone down the MEGO "rabbit hole" much deeper than I ever would have wanted to...  You definitely did NOT see a "The Flash" MEGO in the 70s, as MEGO doesn't appear to have ever made him, although you will find hoards of fake "re-production" Flash MEGOs???  How do you re-produce something that was never produced to begin with?

That said, Kid Flash remains the only Speedster MEGO ever showed any love towards.  He was released in 1977 as part of the Teen Titans retailer assortment.  I found the 1977 Retailer Order Form, it appears as the first line of the Super Heroes collection. 

So, I will say now with my best certainty, that yes sir, you do posses the first "The Flash" figure.  The 1984 Kenner Super Powers Collection Flash.  A great piece of Flash History!

image.jpeg.8856731e27a30edf2a78b1a78867f37e.jpeg

Thanks, now I guess I will have to hunt down one of those Kid Flashes:cloud9:.....hey, wait a minute, I guess I am collecting the toys now...oh no! I always told myself I wouldn't fall down this rabbit hole!:roflmao::insane::cloud9:

Edited by flashlites

On 11/26/2021 at 12:05 PM, flashlites said:

Thanks, now I guess I will have to hunt down one of those Kid Flashes:cloud9:.....hey, wait a minute, I guess I am collecting the toys now...oh no! I always told myself I wouldn't fall down this rabbit hole!:roflmao::insane::cloud9:

Beware of chasing that Kid Flash down... I discovered he was quite a rare MEGO, and he commands $$$, even loose and missing gloves or boots.

I thought maybe there might be some earlier Flash toys, but nothing I can find. However, I did manage to find this Aurora model kit box that I can’t find much info on other than it might have been made in the 80’s by someone trying to create the look and feel of an Aurora kit from the 60’s if they had made it, (just the box, not an actual model kit). 

41A9F038-43E1-4DD1-A50C-BC76BD939730.jpeg

Edited by Jaylam

Found this listing on ebay of a vintage Ben Cooper Flash Halloween costume from the 1960's. I had several super-hero costumes like this from the 60's and early 70's, but I do not remember this one.

FLASH Halloween Costume & MASK RARE 1960's Ben Cooper | eBay

Here's another version on ebay also. Mask only.

726694961_flashhalloweenmask.jpg.bee03f941e6ea6cdcaa21e3f9d021b1b.jpg

Edited by Jaylam

I have managed to find my original Flash Super Powers toy still in the blister. Unfortunately, the blister has yellowed some. I think this one is from the 1st wave, 1984. I have a loose one somewhere too. I used to have two in the blister, but I think I sold one on ebay years ago.

1381115397_flashsuperpowerstoy.jpg.51f68d1205f940ebca84922c1ef5795b.jpg

On 11/29/2021 at 7:42 PM, Jaylam said:

I have managed to find my original Flash Super Powers toy still in the blister. Unfortunately, the blister has yellowed some. I think this one is from the 1st wave, 1984. I have a loose one somewhere too. I used to have two in the blister, but I think I sold one on ebay years ago.

1381115397_flashsuperpowerstoy.jpg.51f68d1205f940ebca84922c1ef5795b.jpg

Very cool! And I love the costume too! But you see what I mean about the toys right? Sadly there isn't much. You'd think that the hero who jump started the entire Silver Age of comics would have had some toys or dolls back in his heyday? And as far as the costume, they did not even get the color scheme right. :roflmao:These early product lines, people were just making things up as they went along. I love how they thought they had to put 'Flash' across the forehead of the mask! :roflmao:

On 11/29/2021 at 8:49 PM, flashlites said:

Very cool! And I love the costume too! But you see what I mean about the toys right? Sadly there isn't much. You'd think that the hero who jump started the entire Silver Age of comics would have had some toys or dolls back in his heyday? And as far as the costume, they did not even get the color scheme right. :roflmao:These early product lines, people were just making things up as they went along. I love how they thought they had to put 'Flash' across the forehead of the mask! :roflmao:

Yes, those old Ben Cooper costumes were pretty loose in their interpretations of the characters. 

So that really is it then. Just the 1984 Kenner. Wow! And not a moment too soon, by next year (1985) Flash would be dead. :insane: I know someone who has a tin 1940's Flash button, very cool and very rare! I know they did a lot with Superman back in the 40's. Did any of that stuff trickle down to Batman or Flash?

Edited by flashlites

Flash even got left out of the Captain Action/Action Boy line of toys back in the mid 60's. I think the only DC characters they did were Superman, Batman and Aquaman. Action Boy had Superboy, Robin and Aqualad. Hard to believe Aqualad beat out Flash or Kid Flash for a place in the line, but oh well.

aqualad.jpg.486e643584ccc6d0525c7e6e8294fb67.jpg1480225064_aqualad2.jpg.dd609526bf9374f28a4346ab18a21b88.jpg