• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
23 23

4,845 posts in this topic

On 1/22/2022 at 10:39 PM, Math Teacher said:

Well, once again, I'm a day late and a dollar short.

Here are my favorite Flash covers:

Flash133.jpg.da9e3ed55f479b771761d18087830715.jpg     Flash140.jpg.b04928768da1566983f8c66d7eaeffeb.jpg     Flash145.jpg.3dbfad1fbd0233c86c9070efaf9c72a5.jpg     Flash152.jpg.8ac17a2804a827c20f71cdca9b5fae15.jpg     Flash174.jpg.ee9fbc723e09eede71120b122bdebf22.jpg

I would have added in #123 and #155, but both of those have already been mentioned.

Why did I pick #133? Because of this classic line of dialogue: "I've got the strangest feeling I'm being turned into a puppet!" C'mon, Barry. Tell us what it feels like!

For my favorite cover, I'm going with #152. First, I really like the Trickster. Second, the absurdity of Flash throwing thumbtacks to stop the Trickster, who is riding a tricycle, is just too much. Third, this cover has exquisite art by Infantino and Anderson.

Awesome choices!!! All great covers!

Since we've been doing the "Show Us Your Five Favorite Flash Covers", I thought I'd go through and see which ones showed up the most to see if we had any clear winner. So far, 23 different covers have been selected. We have a 3-way tie for first with the covers of #123, 125 and 174 showing up the most at 3 times each. No covers before #123 or past #175 have been selected. If I've mis-counted, be free to step in and straighten things out. Anymore out there who would like to submit their favorite five?

On 1/23/2022 at 8:55 AM, Math Teacher said:

I recently picked up this copy of Flash #130 with the Mohawk Valley pedigree designation. Now, I only need Flash #121 in 7.5 or above, and I will have accumulated all the Trickster covers from the Silver Age.

Flash130.thumb.jpg.78b4c6a514826a0b5096e7f83c29e532.jpg

Such an awesome copy! And with the black cover, still an 8.5??!! That gets at least 2 dancing bananas?? :banana::banana: Congratulations! Tell me a little bit about the Mohawk pedigree. I am not familiar with that one.

On 1/23/2022 at 8:34 AM, Jaylam said:

Since we've been doing the "Show Us Your Five Favorite Flash Covers", I thought I'd go through and see which ones showed up the most to see if we had any clear winner. So far, 23 different covers have been selected. We have a 3-way tie for first with the covers of #123, 125 and 174 showing up the most at 3 times each. No covers before #123 or past #175 have been selected. If I've mis-counted, be free to step in and straighten things out. Anymore out there who would like to submit their favorite five?

It would be really cool if we had some more entries on the 5 favorite covers and really get a good sample size so we could really see which covers 'true Flash fans' really consider the best of the bunch!

On 1/23/2022 at 9:08 AM, flashlites said:

Tell me a little bit about the Mohawk pedigree. I am not familiar with that one.

This is what I found on this site.

Mohawk Valley

This collection primarily consisted of runs of DC from the 1950 through the '60s, and was first offered through Sotheby's in 1995. Even though the cover tanning and lower page quality was pointed out, structurally the books are among the highest graded from the scarce period of DC in the mid to late '50s. Originating from the Mohawk Valley area in New York, the collection contained nearly all of the key issues produced by DC during the Silver Age, including an 8.5 copy of Showcase #4. Each copy from the collection included a certificate issued from Sotheby's, although the books do not exhibit any distinctive marks.

On 1/23/2022 at 9:19 AM, Math Teacher said:

This is what I found on this site.

Mohawk Valley

This collection primarily consisted of runs of DC from the 1950 through the '60s, and was first offered through Sotheby's in 1995. Even though the cover tanning and lower page quality was pointed out, structurally the books are among the highest graded from the scarce period of DC in the mid to late '50s. Originating from the Mohawk Valley area in New York, the collection contained nearly all of the key issues produced by DC during the Silver Age, including an 8.5 copy of Showcase #4. Each copy from the collection included a certificate issued from Sotheby's, although the books do not exhibit any distinctive marks.

Well then I think we will have to upgrade that 130 to a solid 3 dancing bananas then!!! :banana::banana::banana:

This is on Heritage at the moment. Auction should start later today. As it was a 7.0 I wanted a good look and also put this question to the forum section on grading and resto. Sometimes as we know a great book will have a slightly over zealous dealer who years ago who could not help but use a highlighter so as to ad $5 to the book. (talking 25-40 years ago), But to call a repro cover a Purple 7.0. (should have had a better repro and he could have gone for a 9.0)

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/the-flash-105-dc-1959-cgc-apparent-fn-vf-70-extensive-p-cream-to-off-white-pages/p/122205-73037.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Edited by Terry E. Gibbs

On 1/24/2022 at 3:11 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

This is on Heritage at the moment. Auction should start later today. As it was a 7.0 I wanted a good look and also put this question to the forum section on grading and resto. Sometimes as we know a great book will have a slightly over zealous dealer who years ago who could not help but use a highlighter so as to ad $5 to the book. (talking 25-40 years ago), But to call a repro cover a Purple 7.0. (should have had a better repro and he could have gone for a 9.0)

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/the-flash-105-dc-1959-cgc-apparent-fn-vf-70-extensive-p-cream-to-off-white-pages/p/122205-73037.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Wow! It will be interesting to see what an incomplete 105 will bring. Mine is incomplete (missing the centerfold) but missing the cover? Very interesting.

The conventional opinion is back in CGC very early days this happened. Now it would be a white NG. As you can't even see the condition of the actual book and all you can see is a $15-20 repo cover it should be $150-$250. Personally I love readers like this, because I love reading them.

On 1/25/2022 at 10:15 AM, jmg3637 said:

Here ae some more of my Flash collection.  Recently recovered images from photonucket

flash105.jpg

flash106.jpg

flash107.jpg

flash109.jpg

flash110.jpg

flash112.jpg

flash113.jpg

flash114.jpg

flash115.jpg

Sweet never had a 105 for reasons unknown 

A unusual one on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115174401480?hash=item1ad0ede5c8:g:V2QAAOSw1hVh19v6

Signed by Infantino, but also CGC would not slab it, it felt too brittle. I have seen many books marked brittle that were slabbed, so a reminder how old this stuff is getting.

If you ever get a chance to hear Michale Uslam (a fan who worked at DC as a sort of an intern before getting some writing in Shadow and then Batman) who got the movie rights to Batman and eventually made Keaton's seminal movie listen to him.,A fantastic story. He had a huge collection in the sixties all in his dad's garage. The worst place for them. All that carbon dioxide. Maybe that is where this one comes from.

On 1/26/2022 at 9:25 AM, jmg3637 said:

I believe all of these are still raw.  the only  flash i submitted  were the showcase 8's was waiting  for the next batch  to submit  the  other showcases 

flash116.jpg

flash117.jpg

flash118.jpg

flash121.jpg

flash122.jpg

flash124.jpg

flash125.jpg

flash126.jpg

flash127.jpg

flash128.jpg

flash129.jpg

flash130.jpg

Very nice group there! Which are your 5 favorite Flash covers? (You need not own it to list it) :cloud9:

On 1/26/2022 at 4:39 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

A unusual one on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115174401480?hash=item1ad0ede5c8:g:V2QAAOSw1hVh19v6

Signed by Infantino, but also CGC would not slab it, it felt too brittle. I have seen many books marked brittle that were slabbed, so a reminder how old this stuff is getting.

If you ever get a chance to hear Michale Uslam (a fan who worked at DC as a sort of an intern before getting some writing in Shadow and then Batman) who got the movie rights to Batman and eventually made Keaton's seminal movie listen to him.,A fantastic story. He had a huge collection in the sixties all in his dad's garage. The worst place for them. All that carbon dioxide. Maybe that is where this one comes from.

This is a strange one! "do not encapsulate" I've never heard of that either. It seems like they are asking a lot too? I do like the Infantino autograph though!:cloud9:

On 1/22/2022 at 7:08 PM, Jaylam said:

So far I only have one entry for this Flash canvas:

jmg3637 has picked 123 as their choice.

Get on board Flash fans, we have one week left. See the earlier post from January 16th on page 203 of this Flash thread for all the details and more images.

My entry is 766.

That is the sum of these Flash covers: 123, 139, 155, 174, 175