• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
23 23

4,838 posts in this topic

On 1/31/2022 at 4:17 AM, Jaylam said:

For the Flash #105 house ad canvas piece. We only had 2 entries.

jmg3637 has picked 123,

innocuous has picked 766.

The winning number is 329 so jmg3637 is the winner. I will send you a PM.

Thanks for letting me play. Congrats to jmg3637

On 1/30/2022 at 11:06 AM, flashlites said:

Sad day for Flashlites yesterday...I went to my local comic shop and found out the Showcase #8 with water damage that I've been dreaming about for a year and a half was finally sold. It was almost in reach but alas it really was just a little too much for this Flash fan. Collecting on the small budget I have really has it's ups and downs. It's great when you come across something at that rare moment when you have the ability to purchase it! Like the signed copy of 107 I got this summer! That was amazing! But its painful when something like this slips away.

There will be another, better copy when you're ready.

On 2/1/2022 at 8:36 PM, innocuous said:

There will be another, better copy when you're ready.

Yeah, don't we all wish we had pulled the trigger on some books when we had the chance, only to regret it later when the opportunity had passed. Come to think of it, the same goes with a lot of past relationships if I had just been paying attention a little better. doh!

On 2/2/2022 at 12:15 PM, flashlites said:

Wow! And with a repo cover? So that begs the argument can it be a 7.0 if its incomplete? Shouldn't it be considered coverless? What am I missing here?

It was a very old CGC slab while they were still working it out. Same auction saw a FF 1# coverless purple go  for $4,080. Kind of nuts - just basically grading a  repo cover and wacking a purple label.

On 2/2/2022 at 4:21 AM, Jaylam said:

Yeah, don't we all wish we had pulled the trigger on some books when we had the chance, only to regret it later when the opportunity had passed. Come to think of it, the same goes with a lot of past relationships if I had just been paying attention a little better. doh!

Worse is sellers remorse.

On 2/2/2022 at 2:49 PM, Jaylam said:

Yeah, that book I bought for $1,200 in 2011, I sold in 2019 for $6,600 is now going for $15,000. :cry:

Yes that and having a financial imperative that forces you to sell your collection at 1/3 to 1/2 its retail value!!! That's a kick to the nether regions you never fully recover from.:violin::ohnoez:doh!:pullhair::facepalm:

On 2/2/2022 at 7:22 PM, flashlites said:

Yes that and having a financial imperative that forces you to sell your collection at 1/3 to 1/2 its retail value!!! That's a kick to the nether regions you never fully recover from.:violin::ohnoez:doh!:pullhair::facepalm:

In the end though of course you all know the story has a happy ending. As even after all that I was eventually able to not only rebuild and replace all that I had to sell but was actually able to complete it! The dream of a life time of collecting! When the chips were down though and times were very desperate The Flash came to my rescue when I really needed a hero, he was there.

On 2/3/2022 at 7:49 AM, Jaylam said:

Yeah, that book I bought for $1,200 in 2011, I sold in 2019 for $6,600 is now going for $15,000. :cry:

And that is why so many of sit on this stuff. I had a health issue in the last month, which made me realize I am not as young as I would like to believe. I started making a will (long overdue) and then thought about who to leave "the stuff to".  My kids are not into this stuff and both have pretty full lives now. Pretty sure they would take what to them looks like a large sum, but would be a fraction of what it could be, so I am now selling up basically everything that is not slabbed, and then they will be left instructions to sell to comic link or consign to MyComic shop. No dealers, pointing out how, "no one cares about "X" character anymore but I'll give to $20 to take it off your hands.

Health has improved, but the new goal has made me crystalize the right time to sell. After this, I will stop collecting "old comics", but still look out for "comic art" but again only on certain story lines.

Oh and I am keeping my Flash collection, although I will thin my readers &  a few JLA, GL,books (very few). 

Realised that although I love this stuff, it impacts on where we move to how much room we need in retirement, etc.

On 2/3/2022 at 4:40 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

And that is why so many of sit on this stuff. I had a health issue in the last month, which made me realize I am not as young as I would like to believe. I started making a will (long overdue) and then thought about who to leave "the stuff to".  My kids are not into this stuff and both have pretty full lives now. Pretty sure they would take what to them looks like a large sum, but would be a fraction of what it could be, so I am now selling up basically everything that is not slabbed, and then they will be left instructions to sell to comic link or consign to MyComic shop. No dealers, pointing out how, "no one cares about "X" character anymore but I'll give to $20 to take it off your hands.

Health has improved, but the new goal has made me crystalize the right time to sell. After this, I will stop collecting "old comics", but still look out for "comic art" but again only on certain story lines.

Oh and I am keeping my Flash collection, although I will thin my readers &  a few JLA, GL,books (very few). 

Realised that although I love this stuff, it impacts on where we move to how much room we need in retirement, etc.

So glad you're feeling better Terry! It's tough to think about but I always do think about who I would leave this stuff to. Now if I had a Spider-Man collection I know my youngest son would appreciate that. But I don't have a Spider-Man collection do I? :roflmao:No one in my family would really enjoy it so what do I do with it?? I guess I will have to set something up with My Comic Shop and leave instructions, that's a really good idea. You would hope someone you know would really appreciate it and enjoy it after you're gone but the truth is they really wouldn't and it will be a lot for them to go through.

Yeah, it's really hard to fathom, but of all the things my parents had, I have nothing much of any real value except all the old pictures (which have lots of sentimental value) and a few of my father's World War 2 items. I've already given my daughters my mother's 2 wedding rings which they have repurposed for themselves (my mother was married twice). I have my grandfather's Mason ring and my grandmother's gold pocket watch which her father gave her for her 16th birthday back in 1899. And here I have all these comic books and other collectibles that I'm sure my kids will liquidate after I'm gone except for a few maybe. 

On 2/3/2022 at 7:00 PM, Jaylam said:

Yeah, it's really hard to fathom, but of all the things my parents had, I have nothing much of any real value except all the old pictures (which have lots of sentimental value) and a few of my father's World War 2 items. I've already given my daughters my mother's 2 wedding rings which they have repurposed for themselves (my mother was married twice). I have my grandfather's Mason ring and my grandmother's gold pocket watch which her father gave her for her 16th birthday back in 1899. And here I have all these comic books and other collectibles that I'm sure my kids will liquidate after I'm gone except for a few maybe. 

I'm sure the my children will do the same and not keep nothing :cry:

On 2/4/2022 at 6:00 AM, comicjack said:

I'm sure the my children will do the same and not keep nothing :cry:

I'm in the exact same situation. My daughter has asked to have my Joe Jusko painting of Spider-Man, but, other than that, my wife and children have absolutely no interest in any part of my collection. Well, my wife somewhat does. Whenever I discuss the value of my collection, my wife blinks her eyes and dollar signs come up. lol  I've done the same thing as @Terry E. Gibbs. In my will, I have listed several avenues that my family can pursue to sell my collection when I have passed. Leaving my family a large windfall is the least I can do for tolerating for all these years.

On 2/5/2022 at 1:18 AM, Math Teacher said:

Leaving my family a large windfall is the least I can do for tolerating for all these years.

Although it has changed a bit. At one level my relatives hear about some of this stuff being worth money but can't imagine my stuff being worth anything. A few years ago my brother-in-law (it is always the brother-in-law isn't it) bought me a copy of Flash140 (VG-) as had seem me cosplaying Heatwave when I took him to a Con. He thought it would be nice to have the comic !!!! (thank you - now I have four copies -which I did not say). Later when he and his wife came into my office (I'm a small one man band suburban public accountant) I showed him some art and he talked about when he was a kid and buying comics, and the Fantastic Four.  So I pulled out a slabbed FF 1#. His wife looked at it and said, "but how can you read it" hmmmm, and my wife chipped in that I often buy a coverless reader. I told sister-in-law I had one, and  I paid $1,400 for it. "You paid $1,400 for an old comic !!!!" Thought I better not tell her what that slab was worth. They really have no idea. Which is why we must put a path for sale in our wills.