• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
23 23

4,845 posts in this topic

Hello! I’ve read thru a lot of this thread because I have an interest in securing a higher grade Flash book — in the earlier numbers. One reason for this newfound interest is the Flash 139 I saw yesterday at a local comic shop — 8.5 grade. The asking price is $2,500, which seems to closely align with GoCollect and GPAnalysis.

While scanning thru your learned comments (it is clear y’all know your stuff!) I am seeing that 139 rates fairly high. It looks like 123 has the highest recommendation. And if a lower graded Showcase were out there then that might trump all. 

Does anyone have any updated thoughts about this “dilemma”? Thoughts appreciated!!

On 11/18/2022 at 11:03 AM, GrasshopperFF said:

Hello! I’ve read thru a lot of this thread because I have an interest in securing a higher grade Flash book — in the earlier numbers. One reason for this newfound interest is the Flash 139 I saw yesterday at a local comic shop — 8.5 grade. The asking price is $2,500, which seems to closely align with GoCollect and GPAnalysis.

While scanning thru your learned comments (it is clear y’all know your stuff!) I am seeing that 139 rates fairly high. It looks like 123 has the highest recommendation. And if a lower graded Showcase were out there then that might trump all. 

Does anyone have any updated thoughts about this “dilemma”? Thoughts appreciated!!

Personal preference really. An 8.5 of #123 runs about $2,000 more it looks like. Since you have an opportunity to pick up the #139 at market price and can inspect it personally before buying, I'd go for it. Might try and see if there's any wiggle room on the price. My determination would depend on how the book presents; does it have good color, good wrap and cut, what kind of defects it has and how they affect its overall visual appeal. Whatever you decide, good luck and if you get it, post up an image or two of it here so the rest of us here can be jealous and drool over it. Good Luck!

For comparisons sake, there's this 8.5 #139 at auction right now on ComicLink ending 11/29. 

00079921685000111298710001.jpg

Edited by Jaylam

On 11/18/2022 at 11:53 AM, Jaylam said:

Personal preference really. An 8.5 of #123 runs about $2,000 more it looks like. Since you have an opportunity to pick up the #139 at market price and can inspect it personally before buying, I'd go for it. Might try and see if there's any wiggle room on the price. My determination would depend on how the book presents; does it have good color, good wrap and cut, what kind of defects it has and how they affect its overall visual appeal. Whatever you decide, good luck and if you get it, post up an image or two of it here so the rest of us here can be jealous and drool over it. Good Luck!

For comparisons sake, there's this 8.5 #139 at auction right now on ComicLink ending 11/29. 

Very helpful. Thank you!

Here you go!!! Got a deal on it. Curious to see where the ComicLink auction lands. 679687DC-3CCE-498B-8989-9ED7016E8194.thumb.jpeg.a1043bbd064ba4370d357a0dd68ff288.jpeg

Edited by GrasshopperFF

On 11/18/2022 at 5:26 PM, GrasshopperFF said:

Here you go!!! Got a deal on it. Curious to see where the Heritage auction lands. 679687DC-3CCE-498B-8989-9ED7016E8194.thumb.jpeg.a1043bbd064ba4370d357a0dd68ff288.jpeg

Looks like a winner, congratulations! :cheers:

Where did you find this if you don't mind me asking? I see your location is listed as Bradenton Florida and it looks like there are about 4 or 5 shops in and around that area. I have been to Emerald City Comics in the St. Pete/Clearwater area before and was very impressed with their store. 

On 11/18/2022 at 5:44 PM, Jaylam said:

Looks like a winner, congratulations! :cheers:

Where did you find this if you don't mind me asking? I see your location is listed as Bradenton Florida and it looks like there are about 4 or 5 shops in and around that area. I have been to Emerald City Comics in the St. Pete/Clearwater area before and was very impressed with their store. 

Don’t mind at all. Bat City Comics is a new store right in Bradenton. Nice couple recently opened it. They moved here from Austin, TX in the last year. Nice place! 

On 11/18/2022 at 4:56 PM, GrasshopperFF said:

Don’t mind at all. Bat City Comics is a new store right in Bradenton. Nice couple recently opened it. They moved here from Austin, TX in the last year. Nice place! 

Bat City was a great little store! I have not been in over a year. Don't tell me they packed up and moved to Florida? I used to visit it when I went north to Austin.

On 11/19/2022 at 1:52 AM, flashlites said:

Bat City was a great little store! I have not been in over a year. Don't tell me they packed up and moved to Florida? I used to visit it when I went north to Austin.

Yessir! That’s exactly what happened! And yes, the store is great. 

There is a Flash 123 in an 8.0 grade in that same auction. Is there any truth to the old labels being a touch more valuable? That book looks great! 

On 11/19/2022 at 8:03 AM, GrasshopperFF said:

There is a Flash 123 in an 8.0 grade in that same auction. Is there any truth to the old labels being a touch more valuable? That book looks great! 

That is a very nice-looking book for an 8.0. That book was graded in 2004, so it might go higher because some might think it could get a grade bump with a clean and press. What drives me crazy about ComicLink is they don't post an image of the back cover on their auction listings. That particular book has something going on on the front cover in and around the "FL" of "FLASH" logo. It might just be newton rings, but it could be something foreign in the case, hard to figure out. It also kind of looks like a moisture stain but that is not mentioned in the grader notes. 

1107450653_flash123debrisincase_edited.jpg.53aa5ab9fb0653d5b104233f9663d572.jpg

Edited by Jaylam

On 11/19/2022 at 8:25 AM, Jaylam said:

That is a very nice-looking book for an 8.0. That book was graded in 2004, so it might go higher because some might think it could get a grade bump with a clean and press. What drives me crazy about ComicLink is they don't post an image of the back cover on their auction listings. That particular book has something going on on the front cover in and around the "FL" of "FLASH" logo. It might just be newton rings, but it could be something foreign in the case, hard to figure out. It also kind of looks like a moisture stain but that is not mentioned in the grader notes. 

1107450653_flash123debrisincase_edited.jpg.53aa5ab9fb0653d5b104233f9663d572.jpg

Interesting discovery. So I should cool my bidding jets??
Nothing like a deep-dive into Flash. I started the comic hobby, relatively recently, with Marvel targets — driven by the shows, my kids’ interests and being a kid in the 70’s. I’m learning that, for me, it’s not Marvel vs DC. It’s the characters and storylines that are attractive. And there is nothing like these older, higher graded books. Nothing at all. Very few in existence. They ain’t making any more, etc. I know I’m preaching g to the choir on this board. 

On 11/19/2022 at 8:58 AM, Jaylam said:

After doing a little more research, the same book sold back in 2013 on Heritage and that image does not display what we are seeing the current ComicLink image.

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJnb2NvbGxlY3QuaW1hZ2VzLnB1YiIsImtleSI6ImVkM2JkZmEzLTcyNzYtNDkxNy05NjdkLWJjYjNmN2E5OWIwZi5qcGciLCJlZGl0cyI6W119

You’re good. Does this mean the “stain” or “sun damage” or whatever occurred after the 2013 sale? Fark. 

On 11/19/2022 at 9:05 AM, GrasshopperFF said:

You’re good. Does this mean the “stain” or “sun damage” or whatever occurred after the 2013 sale? Fark. 

Hard to say, it could just be some debris on the scanner when they imaged the book for the auction.