• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
23 23

4,845 posts in this topic

On 12/14/2022 at 8:15 PM, flashlites said:

And now this:

image.png.588169bb15cdff4a4b2ef007d4467ba0.png

So happy to have this copy! It fits right into my 3rd tier collection of Flash Comics! My home is always open to wayward and abused Flash Comics. My boarding house takes them all in with love! My newest edition comes incomplete but I love that deep purple cover! (Thanks Julie for all that research on how purple and gorillas sell comics. Flash took advantage of both, just not at the same time. Although... I bet the thought of a purple gorilla just may have crossed his mind back in the day :roflmao:Purple Grodd? Think about it for a moment:roflmao:)  I now own 2 of the 4 Showcase issues. Terry once told me in a moment of doubt: "One day I'm sure you will get them all". Thanks for giving this Flash fan some hope. Now I am half the way there:cloud9:

I am happy that I was part of fulfilling your dream. I am glad that this book is in the hands of a TRUE Flash fan.

Edited by Math Teacher

On 12/14/2022 at 8:15 PM, flashlites said:

And now this:

image.png.588169bb15cdff4a4b2ef007d4467ba0.png

So happy to have this copy! It fits right into my 3rd tier collection of Flash Comics! My home is always open to wayward and abused Flash Comics. My boarding house takes them all in with love! My newest edition comes incomplete but I love that deep purple cover! (Thanks Julie for all that research on how purple and gorillas sell comics. Flash took advantage of both, just not at the same time. Although... I bet the thought of a purple gorilla just may have crossed his mind back in the day :roflmao:Purple Grodd? Think about it for a moment:roflmao:)  I now own 2 of the 4 Showcase issues. Terry once told me in a moment of doubt: "One day I'm sure you will get them all". Thanks for giving this Flash fan some hope. Now I am half the way there:cloud9:

I just saw this post. Congrats on a big get!

While we are talking prices (The SC 4 at around $10K for a 1.5) and we were talking about SC13 a little while ago ... and I was talking how in low mid grade it has been creeping up, .. this month a SC 13 Cream to OW 6.0 hit $2,880. To me it is an outlier and two people must have wanted it very bad,(  live auctions will do that to you), and not sure what GPA had a top 6.0 listed at but think this will ush low to mid grade even more. A high grade 8.0 and over has not hit for a while, be interesting next time.

SC13 $2,880.jpg

On 12/18/2022 at 8:47 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

While we are talking prices (The SC 4 at around $10K for a 1.5) and we were talking about SC13 a little while ago ... and I was talking how in low mid grade it has been creeping up, .. this month a SC 13 Cream to OW 6.0 hit $2,880. To me it is an outlier and two people must have wanted it very bad,(  live auctions will do that to you), and not sure what GPA had a top 6.0 listed at but think this will ush low to mid grade even more. A high grade 8.0 and over has not hit for a while, be interesting next time.

SC13 $2,880.jpg

Very nice looking copy! Maybe one day I will upgrade mine but will have to put funds into a SC 8 first, then try to find some part of a SC 4 :roflmao:

Showcase #13 is a pretty rare book in any grade with only 201 Universal copies showing up on the CGC census and there are probably less than that if you consider the re-subs that the labels weren't turned in for. Since so few show up for sale, it's hard to get a bearing on the prices, but overall, it looks like it trends upward every time one comes up for sale.

Addendum: After taking a look at all four Flash appearances in Showcase, #13 has the least graded copies of the four. 

Edited by Jaylam

On 12/19/2022 at 11:24 PM, flashlites said:

Speaking of Showcase, here's a video. You may have seen it already but just in case take a look...

Love it. The unsung hero of the Silver Age! Marvel may get all the glory these days but Julius here was the right person at the right time with the right ideas just as much as Stan was.

On 12/21/2022 at 4:38 PM, Jaylam said:

Love it. The unsung hero of the Silver Age! Marvel may get all the glory these days but Julius here was the right person at the right time with the right ideas just as much as Stan was.

If it weren't for Julie and the success of Flash and the Justice League Stan Lee would have never had been given the assignment to come up with a group hero title (FF#1) instead he would have quit Marvel and its likely comics would have been non existent by 1962-63.

Edited by flashlites

On 12/21/2022 at 10:26 PM, flashlites said:

If it weren't for Julie and the success of Flash and the Justice League Stan Lee would have never had been given the assignment to come up with a group hero title (FF#1) instead he would have quit Marvel and its likely comics would have been non existent by 1962-63.

I think it's interesting to note that Julie understood something about the market, that readership turned over about every four or five years and the core readership in those days was 8-12 year olds. Stan not only understood that, but did something to try to maintain readership past that age group my creating more complex and mature themes. That phenomenon actually happened in the late 40's and early 50's as comics delved into more mature and explicit territory in order to maintain readership, of course we know that resulted in tremendous push back. Stan tried to navigate that territory within the confines of comics code and was quite successful at it and made Marvel great in the process while Julie kind of lagged behind at first, locked into that 8–12-year-old demographic, failing to realize the potential of cultivating older readers or just not thinking he could do it within the confines of the code, based on what had happened before.

Edited by Jaylam

On 12/25/2022 at 7:21 AM, Jaylam said:

I think it's interesting to note that Julie understood something about the market, that readership turned over about every four or five years and the core readership in those days was 8-12 year olds. Stan not only understood that, but did something to try to maintain readership past that age group my creating more complex and mature themes. That phenomenon actually happened in the late 40's and early 50's as comics delved into more mature and explicit territory in order to maintain readership, of course we know that resulted in tremendous push back. Stan tried to navigate that territory within the confines of comics code and was quite successful at it and made Marvel great in the process while Julie kind of lagged behind at first, locked into that 8–12-year-old demographic, failing to realize the potential of cultivating older readers or just not thinking he could do it within the confines of the code, based on what had happened before.

What a crucial time for comics. These 2 great men working at the same time and just in time too!

Just watched an old episode of Twilight Zone called "Mirror Image" (Season 1, episode 21, Febuary 1960) and couldn't help but draw the comparison between it and the creation of Earth-1 and Earth-2. I wonder if Mr. Schwartz was inspired by the suggestion of co-existing parallel universes used in this episode when he first introduced the concept in Flash #123?