• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
23 23

4,838 posts in this topic

On 2/23/2023 at 11:29 AM, Jaylam said:

Just got this small batch in. Pretty nice mid grade copies to help me fill in a few holes in the collection. The 140 looks great from the front but has a tear in the back cover near the spine that goes into a few of the interior pages too.20230223_121630.thumb.jpg.21efe3112889a6f71126541b20d17401.jpg

20230223_122641.thumb.jpg.aad357ffe38a73ef822996fe11be0472.jpg

Nice little bunch there! Congratulations!!! :banana::banana:Your collection must be nearly complete now? What else ae you looking for?

On 2/24/2023 at 4:50 AM, StingerMcK said:

All are raw.  Once the issues move passed 200 and up are all mostly high grade.  She's a high grade snob unlike me lol

Just not sure yet how to move 200+ issues without taking a bath (the time it takes to sell individually, shipping cost now, etc), since so many issues are non key.  I've talked to a couple of shops and they say they're just not a lot of Flash buyers, and the non keys will be sitting around.

I've thought maybe she should start taking them to the cons we go to, and just trade with dealers that she buys from.

Anything over 230 is pretty slow except first Golden Glider (is that 250) and 275-276 death reverse flash. The Infantino issues 296-350 are still selling, especially 323-324. Any Reverse Flash cover from 200 -250 also sells, and the Neal Adams GL issues are good sellers, but generally 240 -296 are very slow.

As a note I was collecting a group of readers for 296-350, I had most but was maybe 8 shy (all of 345-349 plus a few I needed to upgrade) and when I went to Emerald City Con in 2018 had no problems completing my list at around $5 per issue. The next  year 20196 I was looking them over and they had basically disappeared. One good dealer commented that a lot of common stuff was drying up.

On 2/23/2023 at 11:50 AM, StingerMcK said:

All are raw.  Once the issues move passed 200 and up are all mostly high grade.  She's a high grade snob unlike me lol

Just not sure yet how to move 200+ issues without taking a bath (the time it takes to sell individually, shipping cost now, etc), since so many issues are non key.  I've talked to a couple of shops and they say they're just not a lot of Flash buyers, and the non keys will be sitting around.

I've thought maybe she should start taking them to the cons we go to, and just trade with dealers that she buys from.

A few years ago I was desperately looking for the last 50 issues of the Flash run. Here on the boards is where I found them. A sales thread here might be the best place to sell them. Also I'd be willing to bet there would be a few dealers at your favorite con that would snatch them up at the right price. 

On 2/27/2023 at 6:42 AM, flashlites said:

A few years ago I was desperately looking for the last 50 issues of the Flash run. Here on the boards is where I found them. A sales thread here might be the best place to sell them. Also I'd be willing to bet there would be a few dealers at your favorite con that would snatch them up at the right price. 

That is what she decided to do, take them to cons and trade for books shes looking for.  She like talking to all the old guys anyway lol

On 2/27/2023 at 7:52 AM, StingerMcK said:

That is what she decided to do, take them to cons and trade for books shes looking for.  She like talking to all the old guys anyway lol

I was just talking to a buddy of mine who is in the same boat looking for Daredevil back issues. You cant find them at the shops because they wont buy them when they come in. So collectors have to go looking for them elsewhere. Places like this are where you have the best chance of picking them up. Here and at conventions and the big online shops are the only places where you can find them. The local shops just aren't interested.

A little disappointed with my last purchase of raws from Comic Connect:

Flash #162 - 8.0 but comes back a 7.0 after c&p.

Flash #164 - 8.5 but comes back a 6.5 after c&p.

You buy then you wait, then you ship to get cleaned & pressed, then you wait, then they get shipped to CGC in FL, then you wait, and then it's finally shipped to you and... :facepalm: bupkis.

flash.JPG

Flashes.jpg

Edited by MultiSig Mike

On 3/20/2023 at 8:07 PM, MultiSig Mike said:

A little disappointed with my last purchase of raws from Comic Connect:

Flash #164 - 8.5 but comes back a 6.5 after c&p.

You buy then you wait, then you ship to get cleaned & pressed, then you wait, then they get shipped to CGC in FL, then you wait, and then it's finally shipped to you and... :facepalm: bupkis.

flash.JPG

Flashes.jpg

Hard to tell for sure from the scans, but the books both look much better than their assigned grades.  (thumbsu In fact the #162 looks to be in better condition than the #164.

Speaking of books not quite living up to the sellers opinion. I bought a copy of Flash Comics #81 back in February of 2022 from Dale Roberts Comics. He had it graded as a 6.5. I must admit I took that with a grain of salt due to the missing piece in the lower left hand corner, but a full grade and a half off. hm

Flash_group4.JPG

On 3/20/2023 at 8:41 PM, frozentundraguy said:

Speaking of books not quite living up to the sellers opinion. I bought a copy of Flash Comics #81 back in February of 2022 from Dale Roberts Comics. He had it graded as a 6.5. I must admit I took that with a grain of salt due to the missing piece in the lower left hand corner, but a full grade and a half off. hm

Flash_group4.JPG

Well if you are ever disappointed enough to sell that Flash 81 you know who to call. :cloud9: I'd take that book in almost any grade! Whats with the low grades? And then we we get into the grading contest they are all way over graded and they all seem 1 and 1 1/2 points too high!!?? 

and @MultiSig Mike with his:

Flash #164 - 8.5 but comes back a 6.5 after c&p.???

What gives Flash fans?? Did all the tough graders come out of retirement or what?

On 3/20/2023 at 9:30 PM, flashlites said:

Well if you are ever disappointed enough to sell that Flash 81 you know who to call. :cloud9: I'd take that book in almost any grade! Whats with the low grades? And then we we get into the grading contest they are all way over graded and they all seem 1 and 1 1/2 points too high!!?? 

and @MultiSig Mike with his:

Flash #164 - 8.5 but comes back a 6.5 after c&p.???

What gives Flash fans?? Did all the tough graders come out of retirement or what?

I’ll always take a book back if I miss the grade that badly which is rare, or give you some credit for something else if you like the book. But I don’t read minds.

Edited by Dale Roberts

On 3/21/2023 at 9:31 PM, Dale Roberts said:

I’ll always take a book back if I miss the grade that badly which is rare, or give you some credit for something else if you like the book. But I don’t read minds.

I was still satisfied with the book, as it does present better than a 5.0. (thumbsu I have other G.A. books that do not have a high grade but they present pretty well. That fact along with scarcity of those books makes them keepers in my collection.