Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yet another chameleon label....

35 posts in this topic

This one seems to have not only changed from purple to blue label, but the scans are so tiny that you cannot make out whether it says "RESTORED" or "UNIVERSAL" on the label -- except that the tiny ticks representing the letters count only as 8 (restored) as opposed to 9 ticks needed for universal.

Although the seller does mention the staple and ct work in his description, his choice to opt for a private auction mixed with the fact that he only indicates a CGC VF 8.0 without any mention of an apparent grade are unappreciated signs that this seller sneaky underhanded methods are bound to p_ss some unassuming buyer RIGHT OFF...

What do you guys think? Am I going a little overboard with my opinion on this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=724960656

lol! What a scammer. I guess jaito@ford.com is a partial scammer too. I emailed him about his auctions and got no reply, and I remember someone else mentioning that they invited him to the board to defend himself. Since he hasn't replied to either of us, I guess I'll consider him guilty.

I got the following reply from him today, so once again I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I honestly don't think he's trying to scam anyone.

I'M NOT SURE IF IT'S THE GLARE FROM THE SCANNER, BECAUSE I CAN'T PUT THE CGC'D BOOK IN THE SCANNER AND CLOSE THE LID. WITH BOOKS THAT AREN'T CGC'D I CAN CLOSE THE LID AND THATS PROBABLY WHY THE COLOR COMES OUT FINE. I ALWAYS PUT IN THE DESCRIPTION THAT THE BOOK IS RESTORED. NOONE HAS EVER SAID I TRIED TO SCAM THEM BY PUTTING THE BOOKS UP THAT WERE RESTORED AND I SAID THEY WEREN'T. I SELL ALL KINDS OF BOOKS, SOME CGC'D AND SOME NOT, BUT UNTIL I UPGRADE TO A BIGGER SCANNER, I'M AFRAID THAT THE SCANS WILL BE THE SAME. CHECK ALL THE CGC BOOKS I HAVE LISTED AND ANY THAT ARE RESTORED WILL LOOK BLUE. CHECK ALL THE SCANS THAT I HAVE FOR BOOKS THAT ARE NOT CGC'D AND YOU WILL SE THE COLOR COMES OUT FINE. SORRY, WILL WORK ON GETTING A BIGGER SCANNER SO I CAN GET RID OF THE GLARE.

THANKS AGAIN, JOHN

I invited him and he replied with the following:

THANKS FOR THE UPDATE. HOW DO I RESPOND TO THE COMMENTS. I CREATED A LOGIN,

BUT I CAN'T FIGURE HOW TO REPLY.

THANKS, JOHN

The only thing I thought when I read this was "Great, another person that can't type without yelling".

I honestly don't think he's trying to scam anyone.

You my friend, are one trusting soul. Thing about it, even if he was scamming, what else would you expect him to say? And did you ask him why all the other colors (including purples on the comic) come out fine?

Take any one of his scans and blow it up in Photoshop or some other program, then come back and say the same thing.

Now that I am able to respond to some of theses very nice comments about my scans. Brian was nice enough to let me know what was being said by a few of you. I have not tried to doctor any photos in photoshop, or had any misleading info in my description. I have a problem with the scanner, becasue I can't close the lid, so I get glare from the background. All the books that aren't cgc come out fine because I can close the lid. If I was an unscrupulous seller, I would definitely have many negative reponses to my sales. in the last 6 months, I have sold over 100,000 worth of books. Obviously I must not be trying to scam people or else no one would buy from me. I do intent to buy a bigger scanner so I will be able to close the lid and the purple scans will look purple, and the blue will look blue.

Thanks, JOHN

CI, I'll respond to YOU about MY experience with him. 20 Green Lantern Silver age books between #17 and #50. All were graded very strictly to the letter of the Overstreet Law in the guides grading definitions. ALL solid VFs or better, no touch up, no alteration, just beautiful books. I paid what you would normally pay for FIVE of these books alone if they were CGCed and one of my comments was, "Precision like strict grading consistancy. CGC should hire him as a grader". A+++++. DutchValleyMan, an extremely discriminating and erudite collector picked up the balance of the books that I didn't, and HE was happy as well (and Nelson doesn't like ANYTHING!).

I've said before that it certainly doesn't look good at all, what is transpiring here with the blue/purple chamelon labels, BUT, the man DID have $1000 of my money and I DID receive about $4000 worth of books by CGC graded market value standards within a few days from him. ALL of them, beautifully packed, fully insured, and BETTER than he stated they were by his grading standards! Possibly, before there's a rush to judgement, take what he said with a grain of salt. No one on this forum has as of yet said, Yeah, Jauito ripped me off, represented a restored book as a blue label and wouldn't refund my money. After all, if you think you're buying a blue label (and he SAYS it's restored), and the book arrives with a purple label, I don't think it's much of a mystery that one would have to submit it to CGC for them to detect restoration, would they?

The voice of sanity (though I get no consideration myself),

always the peacemaker...The patron saint of the unjustly accused.

This is not about scamming, but about "massaging" the images to make them "easier on the eyes" and to ensure potential buyers do not "run screaming from the purple death" right off the bat.

Are you really stating without question, that your scanner is 100% to blame and you have never enhanced, doctored, adjusted or in any way manipulated any of the image data after it has left the scanner?

If I could have you standing in front of me when I scanned the items, I would. If you live in Michigan, let me know and I will invite you to my house and show you first hand that I am not lying.

Thanks, JOHN

I really appreciate the backing you have given me. I try to grade the books to the best of my ability, sometimes even undergrading to make sure the buyer is happy. thanks again for your response, and I hope we do business again in the future.

JOHN

If you live in Michigan, let me know and I will invite you to my house and show you first hand that I am not lying.

Okay, now I'm a bit confused. I assumed we were talking about:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=724960656

Who is a seller located in the UK... I think you're also one of those "blue label" "my scanner is broken" restored guys as well (maybe we should ask for a product recall?), but the scammer in this case is above.

Post some links to your auctions, as I'd love to take another look.

Hey rickdogg

I just got on the boards after a long nap; and I'm more confused than ever confused.gif :

methesulah apparently backs the seller finsols as being a steller seller

jauito claims he has a colour calibration problem with his scanner

cominvestor ponts out that jauito may not even be the seller of the book in dispute (finsols with the Fantastic Four CGC VF 8.0)

and then you, rickdogg, mention ended auctions.. so naturally, I was curious as to what you meant, and I visited finsols(29) feedback, the guy with the FF in dispute - and I see ebay user ID jauito@ford.com

Is jauito@ford.com and jauito on this board one and the same person? Is jauito and finsols one and the same person, and if so, how does a seller leave feedback for himself... if anyone has any ideas on how to do this, I've got a few months to kill, and I'd really like to bump it up a notch laugh.gif

Someone, please explain -- because I'm getting a headache from all this confused.gif

Hey CI

I went to finsols (29) feedback (the seller in question for his FF 1); I noticed that that same FF 1 was recently sold to a jauito@ford.com who may be the same jauito thats on these boards... looks like jauito was pretty happy with this seller because he left him a positive, but did it YELLING ALL THE WAY THROUGH laugh.gif

confused... (pause) -- looking at the post to rickdogg... (longer pause)

So if he's so happy, how does the same book hit the auction page again? Secondly, how is it that the seller thoughtfully included a half-decent scan of the label in the previous auction, while keeping it a decent-sized purple label, and didn't in the second instance?