• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POLL: Silver Surfer (Volume 4) YES or NO?

NEW Silver Sufer volume 4 YES or NO  

102 members have voted

1. 1. NEW Silver Sufer volume 4 YES or NO

31 posts in this topic

I miss seeing on a regular basis my favorite cosmic shiny Surfer dude, and I think that if a new Silver Surfer volume were started, it would certainly out-sell some of the current offerings. So here is a chance to voice your opinion. I am going to start this same poll at the modern Comics board, so vote twice if you feel strongly about it.

Could somebody could provide the right person at Marvel with a link to this poll?

Never really liked Silver Surfer..in the couple issues I read there was just too much going on to really jump into it.

frown.gif Sorry to hear that your first impression was not favorable one. Do you like the Silver Surfer as a character? If you think that as a character he is lame, then I can totally understand that. If you like him as a character (think he's cool), then keep in mind that ALL titles have creative high points and low points. Do you think that under the right creative team you could enjoy reading a Silver Surfer title? It seems to me that the creative team can make or break a title quickly.

This is purely hypothetical and you can fill in your own dream team, but what if George Perez & Marv Wolfman were to kick off the new volume, would that change your mind?

I think there's just way too much going on in the realm of the character for someone like myself to fairly comment. The idea of the character is cool, he looks cool and such..I'm not sure what he can do or what not but he seems kind of lame as far as the amount of talking and such he does. Also, it always seemed like he was fighting the same couple villains time and time again..or the story was something about his origin or something..it just seemed like a lot of the stories were the same..but I have only read maybe 10 issues of Silver Surfer..I must admit the original mini-series was pretty good from the 2 issues I read.

Brian

I think the Silver Surfer is an integral part of the Marvel Universe(s), but he's not big enough to carry a solo book for long. Other than the classic Fantastic Four/Galactus stories, I always felt he was best used in the early Defenders run (where he got to tussle with Vision, Subby, etc.), but then Marvel got cold feet and got rid of him.

but he's not big enough to carry a solo book for long.

While long may be a relative term in this case, Volume 3 started 7/1/87 and lasted until 11/1/98. That is 11 straight years of Silver Surfer, and shortly after Stan "the man" left, what happened? Heroes Reborn...need I say more?

During the last 5 or so years of the book the readership was well below the top 150 or so books on the market. I believe the fact it lasted so long was more of a testament to how poorly Marvel was run in the 90's then it was to the character being able to hold up the series.

Brian

........there is no doubt the the surfer is a cool character, but as CI says, he can't really carry a book on his own..............

.........the fact that he is one of marvels cosmic characters means that there is nothing really to tie him to the readership (no human element)........any attempt marvel has made in the past to give him some humanity has seemed a little shallow............

.......the character works well in the cosmic epic type stories (ala warlock, thanos, firelord, galactus etc) but for a comic character to carry a solo book long term he must have the humanity that the readership can relate to month in month out................

(This is for everyone that has responded with doubt) So you don't think that that Silver Surfer could trump or hold his own with any of these titles?

1 TRANSFORMERS: GENERATION ONE #6 $2.95 DRE

2 THE ULTIMATES #8 (RES) $2.25 MAR

3 NEW X-MEN #132 $2.25 MAR

4 THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #45 $2.25 MAR

5 SPIDER-MAN/BLACK CAT: THE EVIL THAT MEN DO #4 (of 4) $2.99 MAR

6 ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #26 $2.25 MAR

7 ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #27 $2.25 MAR

8 ULTIMATE X-MEN #22 $2.25 MAR

9 TRANSFORMERS: ARMADA #3 $2.95 DRE

10 UNCANNY X-MEN #412 $2.25 MAR

11 UNCANNY X-MEN #413 $2.25 MAR

12 THUNDERCATS #2 (of 5) $2.95 DC

13 WOLVERINE #181 $2.25 MAR

14 SPIDER-MAN: BLUE #5 (of 6) $3.50 MAR

15 X-TREME X-MEN #18 $2.99 MAR

16 CAPTAIN AMERICA #6 $2.99 MAR

17 G.I. JOE #10 $2.95 IMA

18 JLA #72 $2.25 DC

19 BATTLE OF THE PLANETS #3 $2.99 IMA

20 JLA #71 $2.25 DC

21 WEAPON X #1 $2.25 MAR

22 PETER PARKER, SPIDER-MAN #48 $2.25 MAR

23 GREEN ARROW #17 $2.50 DC

24 FANTASTIC FOUR #61 $2.25 MAR

25 AVENGERS #58 $2.25 MAR

26 CAPTAIN MARVEL #1 (Multiple Covers) $2.25 MAR

27 DAREDEVIL #37 $2.99 MAR

28 THE INCREDIBLE HULK #45 $2.25 MAR

29 THE PUNISHER #17 $2.99 MAR

30 THE PUNISHER #16 $2.99 MAR

31 THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN VOL. II #3 (of 6) $3.50 DC

32 BATMAN #607 $2.25 DC

33 JSA #40 $2.50 DC

34 DETECTIVE COMICS #774 $2.75 DC

35 WOLVERINE: NETSUKE #1 (of 4) $3.99 MAR

36 SPAWN #126 $2.50 IMA

37 X-STATIX #3 $2.25 MAR

38 EXILES #17 $2.25 MAR

39 X-MEN UNLIMITED #38 $2.25 MAR

40 GREEN LANTERN #154 $2.25 DC

41 THOR #54 $2.25 MAR

42 SUPERMAN #186 $2.25 DC

43 IRON MAN #59 $2.25 MAR

44 PLANETARY/JLA: TERRA OCCULTA $5.95 DC

45 HAWKMAN #7 $2.50 DC

46 ULTIMATE ADVENTURES #1 $2.25 MAR

47 BATMAN: GOTHAM KNIGHTS #33 $2.75 DC

48 BATGIRL #32 $2.50 DC

49 SHANG CHI, MASTER OF KUNG FU #1 (of 4) (MR) $2.99 MAR

50 THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN #608 $2.25 DC

51 ACTION COMICS #795 $2.25 DC

52 SUPERMAN: THE MAN OF STEEL #130 $2.25 DC

53 NIGHTWING #73 $2.25 DC

54 PARADISE X: DEVILS $4.50 MAR

55 AGENT X #3 $2.25 MAR

56 GEN13 #1 $2.95 DC

57 ELEKTRA #14 $2.99 MAR

58 THE FLASH #190 $2.25 DC

59 SOLDIER X #3 $2.25 MAR

60 ALIAS #14 (MR) $2.99 MAR

61 CALL OF DUTY: THE BROTHERHOOD #4 (Of 6) $2.25 MAR

62 BIRDS OF PREY #47 $2.50 DC

63 THUNDERBOLTS #71 $2.25 MAR

64 THUNDERBOLTS #72 $2.25 MAR

65 BATMAN: LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT #159 $2.50 DC

66 STAR WARS: EMPIRE #1 $2.99 DAR

67 SMALLVILLE: THE COMIC $3.95 DC

68 POWERS #25 (MR) $2.95 IMA

69 CATWOMAN #11 $2.50 DC

70 SPIDER-MAN: GET KRAVEN #4 (of 7) $2.25 MAR

71 CALL OF DUTY: THE PRECINCT #3 (of 5) $2.25 MAR

72 SABRETOOTH: MARY SHELLEY OVERDRIVE #4 (of 4) $2.99 MAR

73 CALL OF DUTY: THE WAGON #2 (of 4) $2.25 MAR

74 STAR WARS: INFINITIES—THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK #3 (of 4) $2.99 DAR

75 ROBIN #106 $2.25 DC

76 SPIDER-MAN’S TANGLED WEB #18 $2.99 MAR

77 X-MEN ICONS: CHAMBER #2 (of 4) $2.99 MAR

78 THE FILTH #4 (of 13) (MR) $2.95 DC

79 MARVILLE FOIL COVER #1 $3.99 MAR

80 TOMB RAIDER #24 $2.99 IMA

81 THE LEGION #12 $2.50 DC

82 SPIDER-GIRL #51 $2.25 MAR

83 WITCHBLADE #59 $2.50 IMA

84 KISS #3 (of 3) (Multiple Covers) $2.99 DAR

85 MARVILLE #1 (Multiple Covers) $2.25 MAR

86 WONDER WOMAN #185 $2.25 DC

87 SOJOURN #15 $2.95 CRO

88 AVENGERS ICONS: VISION #2 $2.99 MAR

89 YOUNG JUSTICE #49 $2.75 DC

90 THE TITANS #45 $2.75 DC

91 WILDCATS VERSION 3.0 #2 (MR) $2.95 DC

92 SUPERMAN/ALIENS II: GODWAR #3 (of 4) $2.99 DAR

93 STAR WARS TALES #13 (Multiple Covers) $5.99 DAR

94 MARVEL MANGAVERSE #6 $2.25 MAR

95 STAR WARS: REPUBLIC #46 (1 of 4) $2.99 DAR

96 THE THING: FREAKSHOW #4 (of 4) $2.99 MAR

97 RUSE #11 $2.95 CRO

98 TOM STRONG #18 $2.95 DC

99 GOTHAM GIRLS #2 (of 5) $2.25 DC

100 HARLEY QUINN #24 $2.50 DC

This is the September 2002 Top 100 comic books according to Diamond Comics

Hmmm...where is the human element in Transformers? How do you relate to a transformer (Optimus Prime)? Maybe smoking some crack would clear my mind laugh.gif

I don't know, I don't follow the majority of modern comics..you'd have to ask someone who reads all that stuff. Personally, I think all the ASM titles..X-men titles..the Marvel Knight series..Captain America, DD, Hulk, Punisher, and Wolverine titles would all outsell a new Silver Surfer title...that's not including the DC titles that I know nothing about.

Brian

Hmmm...where is the human element in Transformers? Maybe I'm missing something here

They (Megatron, possibly Galvatron) post directly to these threads inthis forum. Why don't you ask them?

I have read the majority of that 100 list, minus mainly the DCs, except for GL, GA, Catwoman...Surfer would be nice to have back but he's already in the Order or Defenders ...

heh he does kinda look like tin foil man tongue.gif but I still think he looks pretty cool..on looks alone he should have a series..character depth, interaction, and ability to base a story on him..probably not. frown.gif

But hey..if there's a lot of people out there that like the character maybe there will be a new series..Marvel is going pretty strong right now..maybe they should give him a shot in a mini-series or something. As long as they don't over-extend themselves like they did in the 90's it's all good.

Brian

I was just stating my opinion tongue.gif He doesn't look all that cool to me. It looks like he has on tights made out of foil & the surfer thing is not my thing I guess.

If you like him, that's cool. Everyone has their own likes & dislikes tongue.gif

I LOVE the Surfer (no Ricky, not in THAT way) and love most of the stuff he appeared in, the V1 series was a little high on pathos and short on action, but well-written nonetheless. Also enjoyed hte Moebius/Stan Lee two-parter,one of the best European-American style collaborations I have ever read.

The V3 series also was pretty good, liked the first two years, loved the huge Ron Lim period, but absoluely hated the George Perez run (Perez the writer). In fact the final 40 books of the near 150-run were pretty weak (the Dematteis run at the very end was a bright spot).

Reason for this (and well said by nearly all members here) is that there was a lack of Fantastic Four, Galactus,other heralds during the final 4 yours.

Throw him in the mix during some cosmic crisis,interacting with the rest of the Marvel Universe and he is one of the coolest characters out there,but alas most of the time he's just an overpowerful guy drifting through the cosmos looking for a story/plot.

I don't think a new series would sell all that well, you really need to know your Marvel universe to enjoy the surfer and he just doesn't work all that well in simpler stories. Besides he's too busy with his dayjob right now (Academy Award Statue model for Alex Ross) grin.gif

One of my all time favorite characters - so much so that I have put together 2 high grade runs of the original series. It would be great to see a new series but they need a top notch writer on it to give it the depth that Stan originally had. The original series was much more than a comic - it was the main book that commented on the world and politics in the late 60s. The Surfer was a Christ-like figure trapped on Earth who was disgusted by the greed and malice of man but at the same time sympathetic. The main problem with keeping him on earth is that he is too powerful for everyone else. he once brought Thor back to life after Durok killed him and he has no problem whoppin' Hulk - so he has to have some really cosmic adventures. I would say he is in my opinion one of the most visually recognisable and original characters in all of comics.

I would love to see a new Silver Surfer mini-series under the Marvel Knights imprint,

but as for an ongoing series, it would take a mega-heavyweight creator to sustain

the title both creatively and financially, IMHO.

I think that Marvel has some excellent characters that would be better off making

guest appearances and featuring in occasional mini-series than an ongoing title.

Elektra is the 1st character that comes to my mind - she really does not need her

own ongoing series and 2 terrible attempts at such (the 2nd one still ongoing, of

course) is proof positive of that.

Gene

I think that Marvel has some excellent characters that would be better off making

guest appearances and featuring in occasional mini-series than an ongoing title.

Elektra is the 1st character that comes to my mind - she really does not need her

own ongoing series and 2 terrible attempts at such (the 2nd one still ongoing, of

course) is proof positive of that.

Gene, it is obvious that your recent Mediterranean vacation did not afford you close contact with these Hellenic Aphrodites....

Why else would would make a statement like the one above? Elektra outside of Miller's interpretations can be fleshed out as a full 2nd tier character and has her rightful place in the Marvel Knights Pantheon. She is one of those morally ambiguous characters that needs some definition and boundaries to her purpose in life. I can see great things to come from Elektra... Gene, hate to say it but you are just showing your true colors as a Natchios-hater...shame on you tongue.gif

I'm arguing mainly because my Greg Horn eye candy covers would be sorely missed if your wish comes to pass... mad.gif