• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vampirella's - Show 'em off
14 14

2,294 posts in this topic

On 7/21/2022 at 5:26 PM, Stevemmg said:

Not sure if you meant that, or Vampirella 18

Yeah it's issue 18 and probably about a 7.0/7.5. I do like the cover well enough that I am taking it under consideration.

On 7/21/2022 at 7:35 PM, Gregd said:

Thank you, trying to collect at least the first 50 issues in higher grade. Definitely a challenge to find some of these issues (at all or for a reasonable price).

I can't believe some of the prices on da'Bay these days--asking prices, a lot of them, but there are a few among the SOLD listings that blow my mind too.

On 7/21/2022 at 7:50 PM, Gregd said:

Yes- but when you look at how many high grade Vamps are out there that are graded/slabbed there just isn’t many.

177545C4-AA0D-4663-B82E-CBE7E84C4992.jpeg.56e48f26efd470b4c4726d626100a1f2.jpeg

I just picked this one up on the Bay- not sure if it’s overpay, but I know the dark cover is always tough to keep pristine. Plus I do like the art on this one.

Yeah, that's the worst Vampi issue in my run.  Congrats on that.

113784965_VAMPIRELLA89F.thumb.jpg.207a17b206aff9316a9ce583b6bbe2e5.jpg

And I realize the census is low on high grade Vampis, but are there really that few raw ones left out there?  I mean, if I had all mine graded and slabbed, I'd have one of the top 10 if not the top 5 collections in the census--on the basis of being 100% complete if nothing else, even if they wouldn't all grade out in the upper 9s.  I'd just have to spend the $5k and wait a year to get them processed.  But the thing that keeps my head on straight is that I figure there are probly 50-100 other runs out there that are at least as good as mine--they're just raw too.

My opinions and observations are very limited in scope and timeline, since I only started paying attention to comics in February, so I'm curious about the perspective of more experienced collectors--outside of the census, what do you think the "universe" of high grade Vampis looks like--plentiful or sparse?  And why would putting a $70 book in plastic make it a $900 book?

On 7/21/2022 at 9:00 PM, Axe Elf said:

Yeah, that's the worst Vampi issue in my run.  Congrats on that.

113784965_VAMPIRELLA89F.thumb.jpg.207a17b206aff9316a9ce583b6bbe2e5.jpg

And I realize the census is low on high grade Vampis, but are there really that few raw ones left out there?  I mean, if I had all mine graded and slabbed, I'd have one of the top 10 if not the top 5 collections in the census--on the basis of being 100% complete if nothing else, even if they wouldn't all grade out in the upper 9s.  I'd just have to spend the $5k and wait a year to get them processed.  But the thing that keeps my head on straight is that I figure there are probly 50-100 other runs out there that are at least as good as mine--they're just raw too.

My opinions and observations are very limited in scope and timeline, since I only started paying attention to comics in February, so I'm curious about the perspective of more experienced collectors--outside of the census, what do you think the "universe" of high grade Vampis looks like--plentiful or sparse?  And why would putting a $70 book in plastic make it a $900 book?

My suspicion is you are correct- but the cost, time and risk to slab may keep the census low for now.

My average cost per book for this recent pickup was relatively low so not much risk (at least to me) in grabbing them. 

Can’t say I have always been as restrained 😂

On 7/21/2022 at 8:37 PM, zosocane said:

Don't slab 'em.  You can't see the glorious Pepe Gonzalez artwork inside if you do.

I don't plan on it, but depending on the market in a few years, my heirs might think it was worthwhile from a profit standpoint--if they're willing to invest the cost, risk the horror stories, and wait out the turnaround time.

With any luck I'll live long enough that quality control and turnaround times are not so much of a concern--but then I am an overweight diabetic with a heart condition about to enter my seventh decade on this earth, so chop chop...

So nice to see those 9's above! Just beautiful copies! As if they were fresh off the newsstand just like I remember them :cloud9:. I will have to settle for something in 3.0 range I'm sure but I will be happy. I love those campy little short stories inside and of course all that wonderful B&W art work!

On 7/23/2022 at 1:54 PM, darkstar said:

Quite a few nicely priced graded Vampirella issues were just listed on eBay today. 

Whoa.  I guess "nicely priced" depends on which side of the transaction you're on.

image.thumb.png.984a2846a9daf1c4d403076703167af4.png

On 7/23/2022 at 4:03 PM, darkstar said:

Any of the issues that are 9.6 and priced at 300 or less are a steal based on GPA, the census, and comps. 

I'm sure my heirs will appreciate that.  Granted, I picked one of the more extreme examples, but it all just seems crazy to me now.  Glad I got in when and how I did, I guess; I would have no chance of obtaining more than a few issues at these prices--let alone a full run.

On 7/23/2022 at 5:03 PM, darkstar said:

Any of the issues that are 9.6 and priced at 300 or less are a steal based on GPA, the census, and comps. 

Honestly, many of those issues don’t seem to come up too often. And when you see the census with less than a handful at the top, the cost (and risk to grade a magazine you think is a NM to find out it’s a VF), I get the reason why someone may purchase a bunch 

Especially when you are paying 4 Figures for a mid grade super hero comic that isn’t even an A lister 😂

On 7/25/2022 at 9:18 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Beautiful books, Greg.  I just wish you'd focus on page quality a little more.  :insane:

Thanks- trust me, for a while in this hobby I didn’t pay attention to that. Lessons learned on that. 

Off hand- anyone comment if 29 or 44 being particularly hard to find? Can’t remember any recent sales on those 2 issues