• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
48 48

48,572 posts in this topic

How is it that Larson pedigree's don't seem to be downgraded for having the name written on the covers? Or are they downgraded?

For those folks that like Larsons, part of the reason is the name on the cover. It adds a personal connection to the original purchaser -- whom some have actually met. With GA books the distributor markings add charm in the eyes of many collectors rather than being viewed as a distraction. I'm in that camp, though I will admit to having converted from a less favorable, though never hostile, point of view.

:applause:

I gotta say I am 100% with Adamstrange and Buttock on this one ... I actually like the owner's name on the book. Date stamps, initials, etc ... all good by me.

I do like the idea of some little kid in 1939 plopping down his dime, and quickly writing his name on the cover, in hopes of keeping it from falling into his buddy's collection!! The name really adds personality for me.

Love that "shopping list" on the back cover of that Phantom Lady!

Never knew that. I guess that's from never buying a Spirit comic in my 25 years of comic collecting.

:o

DC recently released a Best of the Spirit trade paperback. Fifteen bux. Go buy it. NOW.

Then read it.

You won't regret it.

(thumbs u Outstanding advice. You'd do well to heed it.

I should also mention that that Detective was certainly one of the best condition books in the collection. There was never a risk that the "Denny Cobb" collection would become a fabled pedigree collection.

With that in mind, it doesn't appear that CGC knocked a significant amount off for the name written on the cover.

If what I have seen so far is correct (such as this 'Tec and your Schomburg signed MMC book) 7.5 seems to be the cut off for a non authenticated, cover signed book. Both this book and yours (Rich) seem to be nicer than 7.5 and simply limited to the grade because of the hand writing.

R.

I should also mention that that Detective was certainly one of the best condition books in the collection. There was never a risk that the "Denny Cobb" collection would become a fabled pedigree collection.

With that in mind, it doesn't appear that CGC knocked a significant amount off for the name written on the cover.

If what I have seen so far is correct (such as this 'Tec and your Schomburg signed MMC book) 7.5 seems to be the cut off for a non authenticated, cover signed book. Both this book and yours (Rich) seem to be nicer than 7.5 and simply limited to the grade because of the hand writing.

R.

They do both look nice, but I don't know if they comprise a large enough sample to make a definitive statement on how CGC views signed books.

R.

They do both look nice, but I don't know if they comprise a large enough sample to make a definitive statement on how CGC views signed books.

What would you have graded your Schomburg signed MMC book minus the sig...

BTW, got a scan of that sweet li'l thang' hangin' around?

:wishluck:

mm14.jpg

It has a few little things on the back cover. I would imagine it would have gotten a 7.5 regardless of the signature. But it is one of those books that looks so good that the technical grade is kinda pointless. Out of the slab, sitting side by side with just about any other copy, I think most would choose it.

mm14.jpg

It has a few little things on the back cover. I would imagine it would have gotten a 7.5 regardless of the signature. But it is one of those books that looks so good that the technical grade is kinda pointless. Out of the slab, sitting side by side with just about any other copy, I think most would choose it.

:takeit:

Way to go, Bill. (Three weeks!)

Thanks Richard. I am so ready to geek out. :headbang:

Oh Yeah! (thumbs u

A little writing on the cover never hurt anyone. :grin:

cap2.jpg

Got this back from CGC just before Xmas. Second highest graded copy behind the Mile High. Davis Crippen "D" copy. Brought this from a New York dealer back in 1996. This was one of the original "stolen" "D" copies that came out in the 1990's. Never had it graded until this year. According to the dealer, the person that sold him the book was in his late 20's, last name was Crippen. hm

Here's a slightly better PIC:

capjr1.jpg

Sorry about the flash.

Oh Yeah! (thumbs u

oh yea..... , crud.... :sorry:

pansy. so when do you plan to officially change your nom de plume to "gaytor?"

Oh Yeah! (thumbs u

oh yea..... , crud.... :sorry: