• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,378 posts in this topic

The "now non-collectors" can click on the link that reads "CGC >> Gold Comics". If people cannot even decide a general genre to pick to collect, how are they ever going to decide upon a publisher or title or favorite character? The Golden Age will never be forgotten, my friend. Someone new collecting walks into a comic book shop out of curiousity. "What's the most valuable comic of all time"..."Action Comics #1, from 1938."

Also, if they hop into this forum, what's generally the thread pushed to the top? "Have a Cigar". Not so in the general forum, I'm afraid.

Actually, you bring up another good point. I absolutely want new collectors collecting books, but after flipping through some "moderns" I'm not sure I want those types of books to be continually published. So ad ridden, 2-3 dollars a book, very little actual content. The complete commercialization of comic has long since occured, and if that "new collector" wants to buy a comic, why not pick up a nice back issue from around 1985 or earlier?

Do not read this as I want the new comics to NOT be published; I'd just like to see a concerted effort getting back to full-length stories and characters, incorporate fewer ads, lower the price (aren't most of them on 100% recycled paper?), stop the "hologram variant cover edition / "First Issue" (actually the 5th recycled first issue) garbage.

Edited by Shield

Well, I, for one, am glad to see my favorite genre of books (1930-1955) all in the same room. cloud9.gifacclaim.gifcloud9.gif

Love the Daredevil! Was that before or after the Superman cover with a similiar scene?

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what does a Crowley Daredevil go for in those grades on average?

I remember which cover you are referring to, and I'm almost positive it was a "Superman" cover (not Action or WF), but I could always be wrong. I'm not sure which came first, but this Daredevil Comics is the Aug '43 issue. Hope that helps.

Regarding the $$ side of things, I don't want to avoid your question, but I picked it up off ebay in the past month, so a simple search would give you the answer. However, I think I picked it up at a fair price (I was the only bidder), and I'm pleased to have picked it up for what I did.

Love the Daredevil! Was that before or after the Superman cover with a similiar scene?

I remember which cover you are referring to, and I'm almost positive it was a "Superman" cover (not Action or WF), but I could always be wrong. I'm not sure which came first, but this Daredevil Comics is the Aug '43 issue. Hope that helps.

Cool! The Superman cover is from #31, Nov/Dec 1944. I never realized Daredevil Comics did it first!

116_4_031.jpg

This thread has convinced me to go out and buy a scanner this weekend. All these books being posted here are amazing, keep it going!!! Anybody have any recommendations on scanners, which one is the best for the $$$?

And Shield, I've been reading your posts on the "relationship of GA books to new collectors" thread and I could not agree with you more. I am a relative newbie to comic collecting and have absolutely zero interest in SA or BA books. The historical significance within our culture and history will always make GA books desirable and the cornerstone of the hobby. And as time goes on, GA books will become even scarcer than they are today. It's truly tough to find books you want, other eras don't have that problem in relative terms. And that will keep new collectors coming and converting to the GA. I personally will never understand how people can plunk down thousands of dollars on a Hulk #181 or an ASM #14. Do they look at the census reports??? And these reports are just the tip of the iceberg. I'll take a WWII Schomburg cover, where you can count the number of existing high grade copies on your hands, over those books any day of the week. But that's just me and to each his own. Shield, five stars for you. 893blahblah.gif

hey Pov..did you read that warning:

"Open the cover of this magazine slowly, because it's loaded...with horrors you've never seen before and which you'll never be able to forget!

Did you read that book?...hope you are still ok tongue.gif

hey Pov..did you read that warning:

For some reason that mummy reminds me of Bob Hope.

Reminds me of Paul Lynde(sp?)...you know...the guy in the center square on Hollywood Squares... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Oooh....Very spooky! Nazi Monster, a woman being "gassed". Note the word "GAS" etched on the hypodermic needle; this book was on the stands in October 1942, well before the U.S. was aware of what was going on in the concentration camps at that time. Can you imagine seeing this at your local drugstore for .10?

pep34.jpg