• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,420 posts in this topic

On 6/11/2022 at 9:39 PM, Math Teacher said:

I picked this book from @SOLAR BOY.  Now I just need a book from 1938, 1939, and 1942, and I will have a comic book from every year from 1938 to the present.

For everyone who has been keeping along with me, I now have 23 GA comics.

PC51.thumb.jpg.e1c6ba16eb1f09b94cd7753cd724ba80.jpg

Yup! I remember that project. (thumbsu

Which book is your favorite so far? Any titles/genres you will pursue beyond the original project, or you're pretty much done with GA once it's over?

On 6/11/2022 at 10:03 PM, Point Five said:

Yup! I remember that project. (thumbsu

Which book is your favorite so far? Any titles/genres you will pursue beyond the original project, or you're pretty much done with GA once it's over?

Well, right now, my favorite book is Batman #47, although it's in a slab. That book actually has some significant value, while the majority of the other books that I have purchased are mostly reader copies. I did read Batman #47 in the DC Archive series, so at least I know what is on the inside. As for the favorite book that I have actually read, Adventure Comics #64 would probably be it. It has Sandman and Starman stories in it.

I do have to be honest - reading GA books is most definitely an acquired taste. The artwork seems to be quite plain, especially compared to the current comics, and many of the stories seem to be mundane. I'm not begrudging anyone who enjoys GA material; it's really not my cup of tea.

So, most likely, I will be done with Golden Age after I am done with this project. Although I have toyed with the idea of buying one of each major DC GA title, preferably in pre-code form. As of right now, I have 13 issues of the 59 issues I have identified (as you can tell, I omitted some series). I don't know how seriously I am going to pursue this project.

On 6/12/2022 at 5:38 PM, Point Five said:

Fair nuff! If you want better-crafted stories, you might consider giving ECs a go. For quality content I'd put them above just about anything in the GA (and most of the SA as well). (thumbsu

I have read many of these issues via the EC Archives books. In addition, EC books are PRICEY!

On 6/11/2022 at 6:39 PM, Math Teacher said:

I picked this book from @SOLAR BOY.  Now I just need a book from 1938, 1939, and 1942, and I will have a comic book from every year from 1938 to the present.

For everyone who has been keeping along with me, I now have 23 GA comics.

PC51.thumb.jpg.e1c6ba16eb1f09b94cd7753cd724ba80.jpg

I have a few nice 1938-39 Famous Funnies for sale that might help you out. If interested, shoot me a PM. 

On 6/16/2022 at 3:52 PM, DocHoppus182 said:

Mini rant time…..

On the contrary to popular belief, you can still find good deals at comic book shows.  

4BFC5FA9-F742-4238-82A6-3E1D7737D562.jpeg

But on the other gotta hand it to ya!