• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,417 posts in this topic

On 6/17/2022 at 11:21 AM, DocHoppus182 said:

Now I’m confused at what I wrote.  Grammatically correct?  Yes or no?

It is sort of a mash up of two idioms, "on the contrary" and "contrary to popular belief".Perfectly fine grammatically. It just sounded interesting to my ear so I mashed up two for you - "on the other hand" and "gotta hand it to you" because that is a cool book! Congrats.

On 6/17/2022 at 12:31 PM, MrBedrock said:

It is sort of a mash up of two idioms, "on the contrary" and "contrary to popular belief".Perfectly fine grammatically. It just sounded interesting to my ear so I mashed up two for you - "on the other hand" and "gotta hand it to you" because that is a cool book! Congrats.

I see.  

Thank you.  I’m happy I got it.  A friend of mine @Qtr milerocket let me know that he saw it and thought of me.  Thank you James!  I’m rounding up all of the covers similar to Suspense 3.  Since unfortunately I’ll probably never get that.  

But for the record, I would definitely be interested in a copy that’s low grade, restored, married, whatever.  Pretty much my only requirement is that it’s complete.  Well, I’d “settle” for a copy with no back cover.

On 6/17/2022 at 12:25 PM, Robot Man said:

Nice! My problem is there aren’t any comic shows in my area anymore.  Especially with books like that…:sorry:

I’m lucky that I have a handful of shows near me a year.  All small, but once in a while some interesting books turn up.  Like Startling 40.

On 6/17/2022 at 5:50 PM, Robot Man said:

Hell, I'll go you one better. I'd even take an incomplete copy like the ones usually missing the centerfolds. Just a decent complete cover. 

And "Hooded Guys" menacing girls. These two come to mind quickly. I know I have several others but they slip my mind at the moment. There are even a couple of pulps with this genre. 

comfightingyank23.jpg

comshocksuspense6.jpg

I’m a fool and let my FY 23 go a while back, so I need to get that again.  

Luckily, I’m set on SSS 6.

D42D19D3-E75E-4EBC-9B2A-2905648ECA2F.jpeg

On 6/17/2022 at 12:44 PM, DocHoppus182 said:

A friend of mine @Qtr milerocket let me know that he saw it and thought of me.  Thank you James! 

No problem Ethan! after people kept hemming and hawing over it, I knew when I told you the title/price...it was game over! Startling Comics 40 is a book you just don't see every day! (thumbsu

James

On 6/26/2022 at 5:02 PM, batman_fan said:

Just added this to my collection.

Original plan was to put it in my comic room but after seeing how heavy it is (300+ pounds), I think it will be in my workshop.

It does need some restoration but that is part of the fun.

Screen Shot 2022-06-26 at 4.58.22 PM.png

Are you going to press it?

On 6/26/2022 at 6:02 PM, batman_fan said:

Original plan was to put it in my comic room but after seeing how heavy it is (300+ pounds), I think it will be in my workshop.

What year?  Do the current bottles fit?

I have a small collection of older Coke and soda bottles and have seen some of these machines on American Pickers.  

Really cool.  Congrats.

On 6/27/2022 at 5:48 AM, telerites said:

What year?  Do the current bottles fit?

I have a small collection of older Coke and soda bottles and have seen some of these machines on American Pickers.  

Really cool.  Congrats.

It is from the early 1950s.  Westinghouse WC-42t.  The current bottles are actually smaller than what goes in the machine.  I don’t know if they will work yet.  This one is all original but definitely needs some work.  First thing is replacing the power cord to see if the compressor still works then it needs lots of clean-up.  I bought a PDF of the service manual which is good to have, lots of info on the working, etc.

I have been looking for one for a long time.  Most of the time they are far away and I have to contract a shipper and pay the cost (~$1,000).  This one was a 30 minute drive from my house.  I just took my truck, looked it over, then loaded it up and drove home. 

On 6/30/2022 at 7:52 AM, Point Five said:

OK, that is *way* too nice. Reported.  :taptaptap: 

(Congrats!) 

Thank you!  A friend of mine had it stowed away for a while and I had completely forgotten about it.  So, when it became available, I was happy to pay his price.

On 6/26/2022 at 4:02 PM, batman_fan said:

That is killer! I’ve owned a couple over the years. People love them when they come over.

Other than replacing the cord (a must), getting it working properly and just minor cleaning, I would leave it alone. It looks great the way it is. People like them original. It has honest patina and is real. Resto, like comics, can hurt it’s future value.