• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,423 posts in this topic

On 11/1/2022 at 12:15 PM, AndyFish said:

GREEN HORNET COMICS #15 - Alex Schomburg Nazi Ghost Ship nonsense at its best!  Love this one.

GREEN HORNET 15.jpeg

I know I stir this pot endlessly re All-New/Speed/Green Hornet, but... IMO, that cover is no way, no how a Schomburg cover. It looks very little like the other covers he was drawing in 1943. But what it is is awesome for sure! I love it.

On 11/1/2022 at 8:59 PM, Point Five said:

I know I stir this pot endlessly re All-New/Speed/Green Hornet, but... IMO, that cover is no way, no how a Schomburg cover. It looks very little like the other covers he was drawing in 1943. But what it is is awesome for sure! I love it.

There are some Schomburgian elements to it, look at the gal's face being dangled.  But I agree with you that if he did have a hand in it, it's by no means all him.  Maybe layouts/pencils.  

On 11/1/2022 at 10:59 PM, Point Five said:

It actually looks more like Kirby/Simon in the Nazi's to me, but the Comics.org lists it as Schomburg?  so who knows. I do know it has a killer Jerry Robinson story inside it.

Here's what Schomburg was up to in 1943 --

https://www.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=0+793+794+791+792+1893+1577+2088&Ntk=SI_Titles-Desc&Nty=1&Ntt=schomburg+1943&limitTo=all&ic=homepage-search-A-K-071316

All his Timely and Nedor stuff is very consistent across the board. Figures, even when cartoony, show a thoughtful sense of anatomy and proportion, and faces/heads are carefully rounded or short/blocky rather than long. The compositions and figures have a strong sense of scale and depth, even when 'busy'. Inks are extremely crisp. These things are true even when he explored other styles and media, like the GGA airbrush covers from the late 40s.

Even allowing for someone else possibly inking him, I don't think the GH 15 is a Schomburg. 2c 

On 11/2/2022 at 3:09 PM, gumption said:

Scored this beauty for my AAC run. Been wanting it for awhile... and the mailday dopamine shot was just electric.

IMG_4101.jpg

Was that the one on eBay last week?