• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,423 posts in this topic

On 1/16/2023 at 9:40 AM, Yorick said:
On 1/14/2023 at 1:28 PM, october said:

Enjoy your TMNT 1 first print and Ultimate Fallout 4!

:signfunny:  :roflmao:

The part about UF4 was funny.  The part about TMNT #1 first print not so much.

Occasionally I will develop temporary insanity and send comic books in to be graded. I had a small group of Golden Age books that had been misbehaving and I shipped them to a semester of boarding school in Sarasota. The headmaster (Mr. CGC) took one look at this bunch of delinquents and decided a semester wouldn't be long enough to set them on the straight and narrow. CGC finally released them on good behavior after almost a full year and they arrived back. The group arrived yesterday wearing their fancy new school uniforms (which are actually quite nice and very clear). Full disclosure, none were manipulated before they were shipped to Florida and I did not ask CCS to perform any services.

I will share one comic that I submitted as a bit of an experiment. I have a fair number of Cookeville collection books that I bought or had graded before the collection was recognized as a pedigree. Since the markings that are associated with pedigrees are not supposed to be factored into the grading, I wanted to see how much CGC was deducting for the big SN on the Cookeville books. Cracked one, just a straight crack and resub with no manipulation. And the results are:

Originallly:

daredevil18.thumb.jpg.88e2cf94131f98d96eb445c22e3f7cdb.jpg

And the same book regraded and presumably ignoring the SN and date stamp:

1921805431_daredevil18b001.thumb.jpg.aa85213881c9d943da255026a203d632.jpg

Ah, the consistency of professional third-party grading. Well, that was a failed experiment and the remainder of my blue label Cookevilles (and Salidas and other new pedigrees) will either stay in their blue labels or will just be sent in for a reholder to get the new label the next time I develop temporary insanity and want to feed the CGC money machine.

On 1/17/2023 at 6:33 AM, walclark said:

Occasionally I will develop temporary insanity and send comic books in to be graded. I had a small group of Golden Age books that had been misbehaving and I shipped them to a semester of boarding school in Sarasota. The headmaster (Mr. CGC) took one look at this bunch of delinquents and decided a semester wouldn't be long enough to set them on the straight and narrow. CGC finally released them on good behavior after almost a full year and they arrived back. The group arrived yesterday wearing their fancy new school uniforms (which are actually quite nice and very clear). Full disclosure, none were manipulated before they were shipped to Florida and I did not ask CCS to perform any services.

I will share one comic that I submitted as a bit of an experiment. I have a fair number of Cookeville collection books that I bought or had graded before the collection was recognized as a pedigree. Since the markings that are associated with pedigrees are not supposed to be factored into the grading, I wanted to see how much CGC was deducting for the big SN on the Cookeville books. Cracked one, just a straight crack and resub with no manipulation. And the results are:

Originallly:

daredevil18.thumb.jpg.88e2cf94131f98d96eb445c22e3f7cdb.jpg

And the same book regraded and presumably ignoring the SN and date stamp:

1921805431_daredevil18b001.thumb.jpg.aa85213881c9d943da255026a203d632.jpg

Ah, the consistency of professional third-party grading. Well, that was a failed experiment and the remainder of my blue label Cookevilles (and Salidas and other new pedigrees) will either stay in their blue labels or will just be sent in for a reholder to get the new label the next time I develop temporary insanity and want to feed the CGC money machine.

Sorry about the downgrade Walter, but nice to see the book in the ped label slab. That one in particular for you as you are one of the most knowledgeable boardies on that particular pedigree.