• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Sad Story

16 posts in this topic

On 8/11/06 we began to move into our new house. My wife and I did the majority of the moving while our kids were in school that day.

One of the last items I boxed was a living room closet that had several CGC graded books and other HQ raws.

Since the move I have searched and searched and searched and have come to the realization that that box was placed in the section boxes to be thrown away. foreheadslap.gif

I lost several high grade JIM's and early Iron Mans but the 2 big ones were

a CGC 9.8 ASM 252 and Sgt Fury 13 CGC 9.4 893whatthe.gif

I am hoping and praying that it turns up just misplaced in our warehouse but so far no luck.

Anyone else have a Horror story to match this

Ouch...that hurts.

Mine's a bit more vague but somewhat similar...

After leaving home to attend college, I entrusted my 2,500-book collection to the parents for safekeeping. Not a difficult task, the books were all in boxes and just needed to be stored. Well, the 'friend of a friend' who oversaw the moving of stuff during two changes in residence over the next 4 years had an eye for the good stuff... by the time I got the collection back, nearly all the ASMs, FFs, and Avengers had been picked through and everything with a 12- or 15-cent cover price was gone. These weren't full runs, but were nearly full runs from ASM 20 and up, FF 15 and up, and Avengers 6 and up...

Of course, since I didn't even scrutinize the collection for another five years after retrieving it, there was nothing to be done by the time I discovered the "shrinkage" that had occurred.

But time heals all wounds, and that was a good decade or more ago... I share this story as a form of empathy... I'm sorry for your loss!!

Sorry to hear that!

From past experiences, I take the most valuable (to me) stuff with me personally whenever we move... so that way I know who the *spoon* is that f'd it up in case something goes wrong. makepoint.gif

I recall hearing the story of some guy who let his sister's boyfriend look through his books. At some point in time later, he realized his Daredevil collection stopped at 157 and started again at 191.

It hadn't before.

That stinks! (the possible throwing away of those books) As far as theft... It is one of the dangers of having a large collection that sometimes you could be missing a book and not know it for a long time. I used to put a decoy book at the front of the room that helped prevent people from taking the good stuff. If anyone here has a room that could be accessed by other people without you knowing , it might not be a bad idea to scan a cover for an amazing Fantasy #15 wrap it around another spidey and put it near the door of the room.

I Lived in an apartment and had most of my comics in a room that was accessible to anyone. (nothing really expensive in there. I actually had a long box in my room locked that had anything worth more than $50) It was your typical party pad, so there were always different people in and out. I came home one weekend and checked my comics closet, and my "Amazing Fantasy #15" was gone! I cracked up after i checked around. I am pretty sure that was all that was taken. I hope he sends the web of spider-man #75 with an amazing fantasy #15 cover copy to CGC one day smile.gif

On 8/11/06 we began to move into our new house. My wife and I did the majority of the moving while our kids were in school that day.

One of the last items I boxed was a living room closet that had several CGC graded books and other HQ raws.

Since the move I have searched and searched and searched and have come to the realization that that box was placed in the section boxes to be thrown away. foreheadslap.gif

I lost several high grade JIM's and early Iron Mans but the 2 big ones were

a CGC 9.8 ASM 252 and Sgt Fury 13 CGC 9.4 893whatthe.gif

I am hoping and praying that it turns up just misplaced in our warehouse but so far no luck.

Anyone else have a Horror story to match this

sorry to hear that.

maybe it's God's way of reminding you that comics are just "stuff." He does have a sense of humour, or so i'm told...

some lady pulled into our parking lot today, parked her car, and just collapsed on the asphalt. ambulance came about five minutes later and took her off strapped to a gurney.

kind of put my work-related stress in its proper place. i'm doing the work of three people, but at least i'm not taking a midday ride in the back of an ambulance.

that all being said, i hope they turn up and that right soon

A few years after I graduated from college, my parents moved out of their old house, and tossed a lot of my old "junk". In addition to all my concert posters and other paper rock memorabilia from the late '70s and early '80s, I also lost a sketch done for me by Jim Steranko when I was 11 or 12 years old (he had actually drawn over and corrected some of the really sh!tty art I sent to him...pretty cool). He sent it to me along with a signed poster version of the cover to the first volume of his History of Comics. The cover survived because it was with me at the time, but the sketch somehow got mixed up with some of my old high school artwork...and disappeared.