COMMENTS AND SUGGESTIONS ON GUIDELINES FOR USE
2 2

55 posts in this topic

Is there any interest in categorizing WTB in the same manner as the Sales Thread?

PLEASE, yes. When i put a want add, it gets pushed down really quick by the 15/20 WD and Chew want lists. In categorizing them, you'll have people who collect the books that you do see what it is you're searching for. For example, I don't own or have ever owned or probably never will own a GA book, but they are on the same page as said WD/Chew are, and my copper want list doesn't stand a chance! I wouldn't bother looking in a GA WTB section, and probably avoid the modern section as well. Nothing but good can come from making separate categories.

Edited by Dungeon

I was wondering how often we can post our want lists. I realize we are only supposed to bump out posts three times but if we do not have a response in a few months is it bad form to re-post the list?

What is the "Law of The Land" for reposting?

I offered I thought a VERY good offer for a want book- a lot of views but no replies.

Curious to hear what is the P.C. way to go about this?

I think a bump once a week should be in order,never really seems to be much of an issue in this forum. 2c

Once a week sounds good to me. There are some that bump their threads on a daily basis, and that shouldn't be allowed in my opinion.

I think if you post it in the WTB thread, it should still meet the guidelines for a sales thread, i.e., it should be posted with a BIN price you are committed to. If a lower price is worked out via PM, so be it, but items should be listed with a price acceptable to the seller. tongue.gif

but David, maybe they just want to put a feeler out there for what books they are looking for. Do they have to put a price point on every book on their want list? screwy.gif

I rarely respond to posts that don't suggest a price point or range or some idea of what the buyer is looking to spend. I don't think giving some idea along those lines locks in a buyer, but it could serve to get them more replies.

Or if they are suggesting a price too low, I guess it could work the other way too.

Still, I'd think it would more quickly bring together like-minded buyers and sellers.

This guidelines thread has seen little commentary on any topic. What's everyone think? Successful buyers, what's working for you?

Sellers or potential sellers - what's it take to motivate you to respond to WTB posts? If you have something you might sell and you see it in a WTB post but no value or pricing is suggested do you just walk away?

I'm not really sure if putting a price beforehand is the best. For the reason you stated about maybe losing a chance at a book by possibly putting too low of a price, and also for the simple fact that once you put a price there is very little negotiation to be done.

As long as you have up to the grades you are willing to pay, (raw or cgc etc) there should be a general idea of the prices, and also if you have that book, and are looking to sell, and the other person is looking to buy, what is the harm in giving it a try?

Edited by HotJuicyBurgers

Just a small rant. It seems the 'rules' for the WTB section are more of a suggestion, ie they are not enforced. In many instances the WTB listings are simply low-ballers looking for a quick flip. Too often I have spent the effort to locate and scan a book only to find out they don't want to pay FMV. It would really help if the listing specified a dollar amount. Even a statement like latest GPA, 12 -month GPA, Guide range, etc would help. I recently responded to a WTB, via PM, asking if they are willing to pay FMV. I received a very indignant response saying I should specify my price first and he would never specify what he would be willing to pay. While I can understand someone looking for the best deal possible, if you list in a WTB you should be willing to pay FMV. Thanks for listening.

Hello, I just joined the Comic Link. I found a box of old comic books the other day while getting Christmas decorations down. I was dissappointed they were open to dust and time :( But some are in pretty good shape. I found Holiday Comics; Animals on Parade. Big Vacation. It has a little stamp that says excepted publications with 10cents in the middle. TERRORS of the jungle No.4 Morass of Death. has a round stamp with a star in center. BLUE BOLT adventures No.103 Several others. There are also five thick book like comics 10 cents; FIGHTING ACES; Objective-HUNLAND! A novel of the night raiders by Orlando Rigoni ; Death rides my wings! Great story of war-lashed skies by David Goodis.Shotwell Kermit and many others. SKY ACES, Another Fighting Aces. American Eagle, Air Advetures And Spicy Setective; The Gun Talks by Henri St. Maur. I would like to sell these comics I am not a collector. I also have two Popular Science monthly March 1929 Beginning in this issue ; I Am Learning to be a flyer The other is Power from the Sun; New inventions. mechanics, money making ideas ect. both priced at 15 cents. My e-mail is v.marlowe@yahoo.com Thanks, Victoria

Ok can i ask a stupid question. There are all the rules about selling items such as listing a price, etc. Why is there not any for WTB threads, so many people post on there wanting stuff but not giving you what they are looking to spend and you dig through stuff and find it and they are like that is to high im getting them or can get them for x amount. Does that bother any other sellers answering WTB adds?

Ok can i ask a stupid question. There are all the rules about selling items such as listing a price, etc. Why is there not any for WTB threads, so many people post on there wanting stuff but not giving you what they are looking to spend and you dig through stuff and find it and they are like that is to high im getting them or can get them for x amount. Does that bother any other sellers answering WTB adds?

Yep,I quit wasting my time answering these. People are full of mess.

I think the frustration are on both sides.

I've experienced some good sellers and tire kickers.

Example of transactions on the boards:

Good Seller: Responds to me via PM with a high quality scan, discloses anything that might not have been picked up on the scanner and provides a price with shipping to my specified destination. In my case both Canada and US. The price was FMV factoring in page quality, PP fees, presentation and subtracting commission when referencing AH numbers. This scenario I sent a quick counter offer which was accepted and payment send within an hour.

I've had multiple transactions which went this smooth with various boardies

Tire Kicker:

The worst two which I have experienced to date are:

1. Folks who reply to a WTB thread but use the " this comic is from my personal collection" and therefore want 50% over FMV. I am always confused with these sellers because you contacted me not the other way around. So if you aren't in the market to sell don't start a negotiation.

2. Folks who tell you that their comic is pressible and their asking price reflects the grade they think it'll press up to. I thought it was a joke but this type of behavior has creeped its head multiple times this year. Is this a new trend for sellers?

I recognize the pain of trying to engage other WTB posters who don't respond or want 50% below FMV from 2012. I'd say there are good boardie who want to negotiate in good faith and hope they aren't too burned out to continue replying.

I think it's time to make a change in the WTB forum. The majority of "resident" posts now are dealers trolling for low-price eye-candy. This is not the purpose of this forum, and never was.

Dealers are welcome to troll all they want and propose sales to earnest WTB threads, but they shouldn't be allowed to just post blanket WTB for every key book in the last 50 years. I don't see any upside to this at all and it crowds the true real estate of this forum.

A general question, in the basic rules for this thread it's stipulated that a price, or at minimum a range should be included in a post. This rarely if ever happens. Why are some guidelines and rules held as a must have standard, yet in this commonly used thread a basic guideline is rarely if ever followed by many long term boardies?

A general question, in the basic rules for this thread it's stipulated that a price, or at minimum a range should be included in a post. This rarely if ever happens. Why are some guidelines and rules held as a must have standard, yet in this commonly used thread a basic guideline is rarely if ever followed by many long term boardies?

Because none of the sharks want to bite first . . . :grin:

It's a suggestion, not a rule.

I have a question about WTB that I do not see posted anywhere else yet.

It ties into the guidelines in the selling forum I believe.

How long after I post a WTB I am obligated to honor my request?

For example lets say I post a WTB for Transformers #101 at X.X CGC grade but a week or two later I find it somewhere else. When does my want add expire?

Or is it just more polite to fake it and say I am not interested even if someone replies later?

I have a question about WTB that I do not see posted anywhere else yet.

It ties into the guidelines in the selling forum I believe.

How long after I post a WTB I am obligated to honor my request?

For example lets say I post a WTB for Transformers #101 at X.X CGC grade but a week or two later I find it somewhere else. When does my want add expire?

Or is it just more polite to fake it and say I am not interested even if someone replies later?

Just edit the title of your original post and change it to "CLOSED" or post in the thread that you found the book and aren't looking for it anymore.