COMMENTS AND SUGGESTIONS ON GUIDELINES FOR USE
2 2

55 posts in this topic

I think when selling, the general rule is that the seller must open talks with a price, negotiable or not. The first figure comes from the seller. If a buyer chooses to BIN or negotiate, I think they have a right. So on the flipside, we now have someone looking to buy. I think its only fair that the first figure comes from them. They are the ones who want it. If now someone wants to sell at that price or offer what they have which could be slightly higher, well then so be it. Negotiations are now under way.

I just don't agree with someone wanting to buy a book and asking for scans anf your price. Its such a waste of time and I wont be doing that. If you post up a wanted list with prices, even if I don't have it, I may be able to possibly point you in that direction.

I think when selling, the general rule is that the seller must open talks with a price, negotiable or not. The first figure comes from the seller. If a buyer chooses to BIN or negotiate, I think they have a right. So on the flipside, we now have someone looking to buy. I think its only fair that the first figure comes from them. They are the ones who want it. If now someone wants to sell at that price or offer what they have which could be slightly higher, well then so be it. Negotiations are now under way.

I just don't agree with someone wanting to buy a book and asking for scans anf your price. Its such a waste of time and I wont be doing that. If you post up a wanted list with prices, even if I don't have it, I may be able to possibly point you in that direction.

+1

Not sure if this has been discussed previously, but with the large number of posts in the WTB section, would it make sense to have sub-forums similar to the Selling thread:

Golden/Silver/Bronze Age Only

This forum is for golden age, bronze age, and silver age specific postings.

Copper / Modern Age Only

A sub-forum for sales that contain only copper or modern age comics.

Mixed Age Threads and Misc

A forum for posting threads with mixed comic book ages and misc.

I think the quality of the requests in the WTB thread are really hitting rock bottom. The posts are suppossed to be specific, CGC or Raw, Grade range, etc. with a general reference to pricing. Some threads simply say I want to buy a book. I wish the rules were better enforced. Asking for more info in the thread generally gets no response. So, my question, in the event of a 'weak' post, can we start krapping ? 

On 1/27/2019 at 1:50 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

I think the quality of the requests in the WTB thread are really hitting rock bottom. The posts are suppossed to be specific, CGC or Raw, Grade range, etc. with a general reference to pricing. Some threads simply say I want to buy a book. I wish the rules were better enforced. Asking for more info in the thread generally gets no response. So, my question, in the event of a 'weak' post, can we start krapping ? 

Amen. I’ve responded to a few of these price-absent threads lately, and the buyers start acting like they’re making an offer to me on an eBay Buy It Now listing. “Can you eat the shipping to a foreign country?” “What’s your best price?” And this is after me sending photos of slabs. C’mon, man. 

Coming from the perspective of a buyer, wondering if there is anything more legit buyers should include in their WTB posts to make it clear they're a serious buyer and not fishing around for crazy deals or flips. 

I've posted a a number of times over the years in the forum and have only been contacted three times, two of which worked out very well. The one that didn't was a dealer asking far over GPA and suggesting I finance doing monthly payments. 

Most of the time I haven't had luck getting a response. I understand that timing is everything and it's very likely that nobody is looking to sell the book I'm asking for at that time. So I'm not blaming anyone or saying I'm owed anything, just legitimately wondering if there's anything I should be doing to make it clear I'm a serious buyer. 

I always state the grade or small grade range I'm looking for, if I want CGC or raw (or either), no restoration, and that I'm happy to pay FMV or GPA.  But if there's anything else I should add I would appreciate any suggestions from veteran sellers. 

Thanks! 

On 3/17/2021 at 10:27 AM, serling1978 said:

Coming from the perspective of a buyer, wondering if there is anything more legit buyers should include in their WTB posts to make it clear they're a serious buyer and not fishing around for crazy deals or flips. 

I've posted a a number of times over the years in the forum and have only been contacted three times, two of which worked out very well. The one that didn't was a dealer asking far over GPA and suggesting I finance doing monthly payments. 

Most of the time I haven't had luck getting a response. I understand that timing is everything and it's very likely that nobody is looking to sell the book I'm asking for at that time. So I'm not blaming anyone or saying I'm owed anything, just legitimately wondering if there's anything I should be doing to make it clear I'm a serious buyer. 

I always state the grade or small grade range I'm looking for, if I want CGC or raw (or either), no restoration, and that I'm happy to pay FMV or GPA.  But if there's anything else I should add I would appreciate any suggestions from veteran sellers. 

Thanks! 

I'm constantly surprised at how lazy potential buyers are.

They'll put up lazy titles with something like 'looking for Spiderman comics in 9.4+' and I don't even bother to click on threads like that.

There's a standardized format that OSP / GPA and eBay use for issues. Why people don't use them I'll never understand.

If you want an "Amazing Spider-man #162 CGC 9.8" then that's probably the most effective thing to type out.

It not only helps people fill your requests it makes the items easier to search a month down the road when your post scrolls 10 pages deep off the front page.

But stuff like ASM 162 in high grade or Spidey 162 or stuff like that? Not as effective.

The more info you put in your WTB Title and post, the more serious people offering books will be and the easier they are to find later.

Edited by VintageComics