• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got a comic room??? Showcase it here!
48 48

10,296 posts in this topic

Okay okay!!!Big news in my life, we are about to put an offer in on a house. Bottom line, finished basement that is cool and dry. I will put in a dehumidifier anyway to be safe. Can store my 2 file cabinets down there. Lots of room, and the wife can't complain. So, I have a blank slate to fill!!! I am so happy.

So, with that in mind, basement unheated, cool and dry, what precautions now?

Okay okay!!!Big news in my life, we are about to put an offer in on a house. Bottom line, finished basement that is cool and dry. I will put in a dehumidifier anyway to be safe. Can store my 2 file cabinets down there. Lots of room, and the wife can't complain. So, I have a blank slate to fill!!! I am so happy.

Congrats!! Remember, we want pics after it is all done. thumbsup2.gif

last time i'll show these. i sware shy.gif

DSC00174-1.JPG

DSC00173-1.JPG

DSC00175-1.JPG

DSC00190-1.JPG

DSC00189-1.JPG

DSC00179-1.JPG

DSC00192-1.JPG

DSC00178-1.JPG

DSC00187-1.JPG

DSC00177-1.JPG

DSC00188-1.JPG

That is so cool Punish This!! Love the wood color and the raw stacks! Do you worry about fading on the ones that are displayed? I always worried about that when I had some of mine out.

Thanks. Oh you will have pics, it wont be too exciting, but everyone has to start somewhere. So, any advice other than off of an outside wall and not near pipes?

Thanks. Oh you will have pics, it wont be too exciting, but everyone has to start somewhere. So, any advice other than off of an outside wall and not near pipes?

Elevate to avoid water damage in the case of flooding. Don't know if it's a problem in your area, but where I live, if the levee breaks, I'm in trouble.

Flooding concerns...make sure the books are sufficiently off the floor from water and vermin.

Just follow the mantra, cool, dry and dark and you'll be good. If you want to showcase some of the books, make sure there is little or no natural light. As for light bulbs, I believe there are special bulbs that emit very little UV. You might want to look into that. Also, the mylites I use for my slabs supposedly have a UV inhibitor built in but I've never tested it. If you display your comics, just remember to rotate them to reduce exposure to light. thumbsup2.gif

Flooding concerns...make sure the books are sufficiently off the floor from water and vermin.

No problem for me. I live 7 feet above sea level.

893whatthe.gif

So does your house get serviced by water pipes? Still a possibility for flooding, especially if your hot water heater is in the basement (bet ya it is). We live on top of a hill and have had water get in our finished basement. It was during a drought when the ground dried up so much it broke the "improperly installed" piping running from outside into the basement.

*spoon* Happens!

Protect from flooding (from both above, leaking toilets, tubs, etc) and below.

david

I was being saracastic. Being 7 feet above sea level, and only 100 yards or so from the water, flooding is certainly possible. In fact, if there were a tsunami, we'd be pretty much screwed. Only one road off the peninsula.

Thats good news, Ring! My girl and I bought a joint in NT last fall, no complaints yet! Fortunately for me, she allowed me to make the computer room my own. So, that has become my comic "vault" -- photos are forthcoming! cloud9.gifheadbang.gif Nicely done -- and good luck! thumbsup2.gif

Not really much comic stuff lying around or on the walls, but I do have Hawkeye's autograph!

wall2.gif

my placeholder and my pic of Michael Rosenbaum and Tom Welling.

wall1.gif

Wentworth Miller from prison break, Alan Alda, and Wonder Woman..errr Angelina Jolie cloud9.gif

So, put them up on cinder blocks?

The shelving units I use are adjustable. I have the first shelf a good 7 inches off the floor. They are also housed on the second floor.

At the storage units, I have the boxes on laminated wood which sits on cinder blocks... again, at least 6 inches off the ground. They too, are on the second floor of the complex. Call me crazy, but I feel a little safer with the books above ground!

I have asked this before, but will do again; Does anyone know of an outfit such as "CIA" in Canada??? Insurance schedules run quite a bit on the books and a policy such as one CIA offers would be ideal.

If there isn't such an agency, does anyone know of a single woman living in the US who'd want to get hitched to comic geek from Canada??? Photos provided upon request shy.gifpoke2.gifinsane.gif

John hi.gif

I was being saracastic. Being 7 feet above sea level, and only 100 yards or so from the water, flooding is certainly possible. In fact, if there were a tsunami, we'd be pretty much screwed. Only one road off the peninsula.

Well you wouldn't believe the people who forget about indoor water problems. I myself had some stuff stored in the garage (which has a wood floor and a workroom underneath it) which got wet. My kids brought the hose in and instead of getting it all in the mud sink, they left part out on the floor. You guessed it, they had water still in it and it leaked out on the floor. Before it could hit the drain, it got some boxes. YIKES.

7 feet above sea level is the hills for me...I live below sea level 893whatthe.gif

Not really much comic stuff lying around or on the walls, but I do have Hawkeye's autograph!

wall2.gif

my placeholder and my pic of Michael Rosenbaum and Tom Welling.

wall1.gif

Wentworth Miller from prison break, Alan Alda, and Wonder Woman..errr Angelina Jolie cloud9.gif

thumbsup2.gif