• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
21 21

18,204 posts in this topic

Did Leonard Starr go on to take over the Orphan Annie strip much later, after Harold Gray? It rings a bell.

Leonard Starr is probably best remembered for his newspaper comic strip, "On Stage," which ran from 1957 to 1979.

leonardstarr.jpg

It was, in my opinion, one of the best illustrated of the so called story strips.

I probably have mentioned it elsewhere but I will agree with BZ on his opinion of "On Stage". This is a strip that both my wife and I enjoy as it is being reprinted by Classic Comics Press. The third volume is shipping right now so it's not too late to get started on this wonderful reprint project. Check it out at this linky - Classic Comics Press.

Super-hero only lovers need not apply.

:luhv: Mary. She's soooooo nice -

43396-OnStage-MaryPerkinsSunday.jpg.73327c29c9cc0c084b7c4bcfced63eb5.jpg

I haven't had a chance to read the boards or post very much the last week or so, but I'm trying to get caught up this weekend. Scrooge, I very much enjoyed all the interior stories you're posting - Great stuff! :applause: And BZ the pulps are amazing - keep 'em coming! I'm just starting to really get interested in pulps and picked up my first one the other day (an Amazing Stories w/ a John Carter cover). I'm afraid it may be the start of a new addiction. :insane:

Jeff

And BZ the pulps are amazing - keep 'em coming! I'm just starting to really get interested in pulps and picked up my first one the other day (an Amazing Stories w/ a John Carter cover). I'm afraid it may be the start of a new addiction. :insane:

Agreed on all counts. I just love those 20s/30s pulp covers!

I keep kicking ahead the day when I buy my first pulp...not hard to foresee what a long dark road it will be. :whistle:

And BZ the pulps are amazing - keep 'em coming! I'm just starting to really get interested in pulps and picked up my first one the other day (an Amazing Stories w/ a John Carter cover). I'm afraid it may be the start of a new addiction. :insane:

Agreed on all counts. I just love those 20s/30s pulp covers!

I keep kicking ahead the day when I buy my first pulp...not hard to foresee what a long dark road it will be. :whistle:

lol In my case, it was like trying pot and getting hooked on crack ... serious pulp collecting led up to serious GA collecting ... the gateway into four color thrills!! The thing with pulps is, they are still relatively cheap!

My advice: don't bother with low grade pulps if you can help it! Stick with the nice stuff. And have fun!

]Like I said, stick to the good stuff, you won't regret it!! :headbang:

And it is good stuff you posted :o:applause:

All this week's talk about Fred Guardineer had me pull out CBM 79 with the only Guardineer interview I own. It was a better read than I remembered. That issue of CBM came out in July 2000 and most of the references to strips, companies and individuals in the comic market at the time were lost on me. Now, with what I know now, this was a much more enjoyable talk with Fred. I recommend everyone to pull it out again and give it a second read. I believe the folks at AE have access to another long interview with Guardineer, :wishluck: it shows up in the mag soon. There were 2 pages in the article that I think everyone will enjoy seeing. The quality of the scans is low so I could keep it large. Enjoy -

43466-CBM79-Guardineer-1.jpg.b49d0da599a7c90dded2f766559bfe5b.jpg

43467-CBM79-Guardineer-2.jpg.26ba50988588da27d7a87b182568348c.jpg

After reading Guardineer's interview, I had pulled the copy of Fight # 23 I bought from Dale at the Chicago show to read ... finally. I enjoyed the issue. Nothing earth-shattering but good period fun. It was funny to see a young Nick Cardy use every other trick he could think of to hide his deficiencies on the Senorita Rio story. A lot of night shadows, outline panels, ... and so on to avoid certain shots. lol

Anyway, on the last story, the Shark Brody, the splash jumped out at me because, as we all know, a good shot should never go to waste and only be used once, I found a recycled pose right there. It's easy for me to remember because I had also bought a copy of the book where the shot is re-used on the cover, it's the cover to Rangers 39. Here, I'll let you be the judges -

43468-Fight23-SharkBrodieSpash-Rangers39.jpg.d309a80ea973d6a4ba83c37fdda61827.jpg

43469-Rangers39.jpg.5aec5ee1358c030454858f34dcffa12a.jpg

WICKED Guardineer pages Scrooge!! Thanks!

Whats the story behind that art ... it says "By F. Guardineer, 35 years later". 35 years later than what? If its 35 years after 1937/38, I am amazed at how he retained his quality of draftsmanship and storytelling!! Not that he would have been super old, but styles tend to change over 35 years!

Wish I had that issue with the interview ... I am becoming a bigger fan of his everyday, mainly thanks to Scrooge and Bangzoom. Just wonderful pages you guys have posted recently! :banana:

I am happy to say I have a book coming to me with some pretty prime Guardineer material in it, which I am REALLY looking forward to...

Well, the caption in the article isn't very informative. It only says: "Two extremely rare and beautifullly rendered early original art pages from Fred Guardineer's "Devil of the Deep". No indication or explanation of the "35 years later" and that's not a strip title listed on the Who's Who either.

What astonishes me is that once Guardineer left the Chesler studio his comic art changed quite a bit over the course of a few years and it feels that he wasn't putting in as much work on the page. I won't blame a guy being paid by the page but it also means he could no longer put in the details we've seen in the Dan Hastings and particularly the Dangerous Seas I posted. It's too bad such artists were curtailed in their creativity by the need to produce produce produce because I am sure we were robbed from the best of Guardineer's abilities. Here's a page from Merlin the Magician from 1941 (While he hated Magician features, since he did one once, Guardineer inherited most Magician features. He worked on: Zatara, Mr. Mystic, Merlin and Tor!) -

43470-Guardineer-Merlin.jpg.d1e27314c32e0f2107b3478f5c108a15.jpg

The Guardineer story is from this issue and every page is just as fun as those you posted.

FunnyPages2_2-1.jpg

I'm just starting to really get interested in pulps and picked up my first one the other day (an Amazing Stories w/ a John Carter cover). I'm afraid it may be the start of a new addiction. :insane:

Jeff

Collecting pulps is a fun challenge.

Just like Ryan said, they're still affordable especially when compared to the prices of comic books.

Also, many of them have incredible covers, certainly the match of anything found on comics. And, they have an unbeatable list of authors writing for them.

All this week's talk about Fred Guardineer had me pull out CBM 79 with the only Guardineer interview I own. It was a better read than I remembered. That issue of CBM came out in July 2000 and most of the references to strips, companies and individuals in the comic market at the time were lost on me. Now, with what I know now, this was a much more enjoyable talk with Fred. I recommend everyone to pull it out again and give it a second read.

I've never seen an issue of CBM.

Is there an online index of them?

Anyone know of a reasonably priced source for back issues?

amazingdetective101930.jpg

I had a feeling those issues I posted would start something! :baiting:

Great pulps BZ!! I really love those bedsheet issues of the old Gernsback mags. There is something magical about them. Yours look to be in EXCELLENT condition, as expected!