• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
21 21

18,204 posts in this topic

Hi ZOOMER,

I wonder how many other private collectors, such as yourself, have maintained such an impressive collection over the years ?

Was this collecting passion of yours shared with friends, or was it pretty much a individual pursuit ?

I'm just curious, because, obviously, the breadth of your collection (what you've been kind enough to share with us) couldn't be put together today. Not the way you've put it together.

Basically, I'm just wondering if there are many more Mr.Bangzooms out there, that you know personally ?

It's been great having you share with us. Thanks again.

This is only going to appeal to the Burroughs fans.

BurroughsBooksGA14.jpg

Holy ! I was told I'd find some ERB treasures, but I had no idea (and it only took me 200 pages in this thread). Now just another 400+ pages to get through...dear lord.

These are absolutely amazing. And here's to think I actually thought the few paperback copies I got yesterday were cool.

BZ,

ERB collecting is a little confusing due to the many different editions and publishers but I love those dusk jackets on your editions.

I found a lot of Burt editions but didn't know which was which until I found some references such as http://www.erbfirsts.com/.

I think the white letter edition is the first 1915 Burt edition and the other is a later unidentified edition. The interiors still have those cool illustrations even if they are not the Burroughs or McClurg original editions.

bb

2302334888_4e05e2139a_b.jpg

2301540589_9901ef4fe3_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

BZ.,

I don't have any information about the paperback reprints other than my paperback price guide. I can look through that but it isn't illustrated and not much fun. I like Grosset and Dunlap editions that feature other characters.

2301632853_4836f05180_b.jpg

They also have a Flash Gordon book and a Tailspin Tommy. Fun to read and they hold up pretty well due to the better paper quality.

bb

I wonder how many other private collectors, such as yourself, have maintained such an impressive collection over the years ?

That's an interesting question and I don't know the answer.

Last year I was talking about that subject with another long time collector. I said there were probably quite a few forgotten large collections from the 60's/70's still intact.

He disagreed.

So I started naming some of the collectors I remembered from years ago. In every instance I learned that their collections had been sold at some point, either by heirs or by the collector themselves after their interest in the hobby waned.

At any rate, new collectors are always coming along and quite a few of them are assembling awesome collections today.

That's an interesting question and I don't know the answer.

Last year I was talking about that subject with another long time collector. I said there were probably quite a few forgotten large collections from the 60's/70's still intact.

He disagreed.

So I started naming some of the collectors I remembered from years ago. In every instance I learned that their collections had been sold at some point, either by heirs or by the collector themselves after their interest in the hobby waned.

At any rate, new collectors are always coming along and quite a few of them are assembling awesome collections today.

I know of at least three massive collections, possibly four. But, none, like yours are for sale.

I bought two collections from old time collectors Leonard Brown and Chuck McCleary that had been assembled back in the 60's. Those were the days.

...Chuck McCleary that had been assembled back in the 60's.

I was an occasional visitor at Chuck's house to geek over books, and was just amazed at all the material he had.

His good buddy Rick Durrell had a remarkable collection as well, but Rick passed away before I entered the picture.

Chuck still attends some of the local shows, fyi.

His good buddy Rick Durrell had a remarkable collection as well, but Rick passed away before I entered the picture.

Rick was one of the first collectors I ever contacted, circa 1963/64. He was a real stickler about condition which was unusual at that time.

This is a question for Bob B. really. Recall last year he had a reunion with long-time collectors in Oklahoma City. I'm curious how that went and if those guys are still holding on to their books.

I bought two collections from old time collectors Leonard Brown and Chuck McCleary that had been assembled back in the 60's. Those were the days.

Bill, did either of them mention why they decided to sell their collections at that point in their lives?

Bill, did either of them mention why they decided to sell their collections at that point in their lives?

Leonard, like Rick Durrell, was a stickler for grade. He had amassed several hundred extremely high grade golden age. He had been retired for quite a few years, and just no longer felt the need to possess them. He hadn't collected in years. His friend, Richard Olsen, really started the domino effect of collections selling. He, Leonard, Rick, Malcom Willits, Chuck, and others were old time collectors and friends. Olsen began selling the others on the idea of selling off their collections. Olsen had moved his interests to platinum age collectibles.

I bought his collection first. About six hundred golden age books. Full runs of Sensation, Wonder Woman, World's finest, Super, Popular, Mystery Men, etc.

He was the agent of sale for Chuck's collection. I think Chuck was convinced to sell the collection (2400 golden age books) to us by Olsen's assertions that the top of the market had been reached. Chuck started collecting comics again after we bought his collection. I've been slowly re-compiling the list of books that were in that collection, including grades. When complete, I want to do an analysis of what the collection would be worth in today's market. We paid an enormous amount of money for those books by 1995 standards. So, I am curious if the amount paid would still be high, or if it would be a bargain.

Leonard's collection was bought next. He no longer wanted to own them, and the money was very appealing. As far as I know, he didn't buy anymore comics the remainder of his life. But, I have no way of verifying that.

Olsen took us to see a few more collections, but by that time we were out of cash. They may still be sitting out there in California.

With all the discussion on the boards about the recent sale of Action #7, I thought this would be a good time to repost this old advertising poster (circa 1938/39).

Does anyone have any similar items they can post? I'd love to see them.

actioncomicssupermanad.jpg

With all the discussion on the boards about the recent sale of Action #7, I thought this would be a good time to repost this old advertising poster (circa 1938/39).

Hey BZ, do you have a copy of Action #7 that you care to post?

What indicators are there for you to be able to date it?

The fact that it states that Superman "Appears Only in Action Comics" is a strong indication that it predates the publication of Superman #1.

The fact that it states that Superman "Appears Only in Action Comics" is a strong indication that it predates the publication of Superman #1.

good point

Very nice BZ!

BTW, I can't seem to find a scan of your copy of Action #7! Do you have one handy? :grin: