• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
21 21

18,204 posts in this topic

quiz24_1.jpg

Is that the earliest strip by Burgos or did he do something else?

It's the earliest that I'm aware of. (shrug)

Rick, Jon, Steve?

Do you know what is Burgos first published comic book work?

I suspect jon will know the correct answer...earliest I know of in star comics is issue #15

That ROCKS :headbang:

Thanks, Bill. :)

I remember you said you were collecting Amazing. Are you trying to collect the entire run; specific years; favorite covers? hm

Not sure yet. I buy them when they are priced reasonably. I only have about 40 issues so far. But I am on my way.

:grin:

2373724315_3dc73a512c_b.jpg

BZ,

Did you see this Schomburg on the other site. I am always amazed at how much stuff he manages to put into one of his paintings. It looks to me like August does the planes and tanks and Alex does the human characters and the air brushing. Does anyone know if they worked that closely? This could have been a scene from Patton.

Bruce

holy carp that's fricken sweet!

2375573284_7cb0ef7cea_b.jpg

Flash is from the Harvey reprint. I have an ad for the fifth issue that only made it into limit print runs. Does anyone have an issue?

I think Theagenes said he had a copy. :gossip:

Oh man, I wish. I've mentioned it in several threads, trying to find someone who owns one. I was hoping you might have one BZ. :) I have never even seen a picture of one, much less a copy for sale. The three other Harvey B&W issues do come up occasionally, but never the FG. :(

I do know what the cover would look like though, as I found a scan of the OA online:

FlashGordonHarvey05OA.jpg

BZ, in answer to your earlier question, yes, I'm collecting the ERB pulps, though I'm afraid many of the early ones are probably out my reach for the most part. The John Carter stories were always my favorite though, so I've been going for those first. Actually, it was looking for the Funnies issues with John Carter covers that got me into GA. :)

That ROCKS :headbang:

Thanks, Bill. :)

I remember you said you were collecting Amazing. Are you trying to collect the entire run; specific years; favorite covers? hm

Not sure yet. I buy them when they are priced reasonably. I only have about 40 issues so far. But I am on my way.

:grin:

Ahemm... I need to go back to my source for those and see if he has any more. Problem is, he lives about 8 hours away and I don't have a name or phone number. :pullhair:

Did you ever post a group shot?

burgos1.jpg

Star Comics #16 (December 1938)

Lovin' it! :golfclap: Could this be Burgos' 2nd published stroy (after Star Comics 15, which I don't have. Scans BZ? :wishluck: )

To me, it has an earlier (raw) look than does his later Air-Sub DX story (a bit of Everett influence, perhaps?):

2375696622_ea9a5021fc_o.jpg

burgos1.jpg

Star Comics #16 (December 1938)

Thanks for all the cool, vintage Burgos, BZ! I have always loved the crude charm his work had.

Maybe I'll get around to shooting a few pages from his early "Iron Skull" feature.

Love his work on "White Streak" (TARGET COMICS) too!!

He also did a nice little strip in October 1939...

MARVEL1torchsplashPOST.jpg

Thanks for all the cool, vintage Burgos, BZ! I have always loved the crude charm his work had.

I'm with you, Ryan - Burgos doesn't seem to get a fraction of the recognition that an Everett (a favorite of mine) or even Gustavson gets.

The Last Pirate (Star Comics - Centaur)

Air-Sub DX (Amazing Mystery Funnies - Centaur)

The Iron Skull (Amazing Man - Centaur)

The Human Torch (Marvel Mystery, et al - Timely)

The White Streak (Target Comics - Funnies Inc./Novelty)

That's a pretty darn impressive early, creative GA portfolio IMHO. :golfclap:

I'm with you, Ryan - Burgos doesn't seem to get a fraction of the recognition that an Everett (a favorite of mine) or even Gustavson gets.

The Last Pirate (Star Comics - Centaur)

Air-Sub DX (Amazing Mystery Funnies - Centaur)

The Iron Skull (Amazing Man - Centaur)

The Human Torch (Marvel Mystery, et al - Timely)

The White Streak (Target Comics - Funnies Inc./Novelty)

That's a pretty darn impressive early, creative GA portfolio IMHO. :golfclap:

His creations always had a nice level of dimension and interest to them, even if his draftsmanship wasn't quite up there.

The fact there were so many androids probably helps!!

From the limited amount I've seen, his early Torch work is really cool.

Maybe I'll get around to shooting a few pages from his early "Iron Skull" feature.

Love his work on "White Streak" (TARGET COMICS) too!!

Ryan, I'd love to see some "Iron Skull" or "White Streak" pages posted. :wishluck:

He also did a nice little strip in October 1939...

MARVEL1torchsplashPOST.jpg

I love that bottom left panel.

It's got drama, pathos, humor, political intrigue (and a person in a glass tube). lol

Roy Lichenstein should have painted it.