• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
21 21

18,204 posts in this topic

I've never seen this cover before Scrooge!!!! Thanks for posting it. I think this is the only one I haven't seen from 1936.

Yes, it's a real beauty. :luhv:

I don't own a copy of it so I especially enjoyed seeing your scan. :applause:

I understand that those were put out by Henry Marcus who a few years earlier was putting out the better known Tattle Tales, Bedtime Stories as well as Cupid's Capers.

I have a nice collection of those titles. :juggle:

I can't say I'm surprised. Do you have a copy of my favorite Tattle Tales: June 1934 (Spain) and July 1933 (Zanzibar) you can show and maybe Bedtime Stories from March 1934 (Thais) :wishluck: Ah Enoch Bolles :cloud9:

Btw, not only the illos were changed in the Starred version but also the text, see below. Also, while all three Spicy Detective, Adventure and Western had a censored version, Spicy Mystery never did, presumably b/c the editors knew that with the horror included in the book, the mag never had a chance of being accepted, censorship or not.

If you read the censored and uncensored, you can see that ... yeah ... the censorship board really had a leg to stand on questioning these mags ...

Is the scanned page from Bookery's Guide to the Pulps?

I really need to find a copy. :pullhair:

Btw, not only the illos were changed in the Starred version but also the text, see below. Also, while all three Spicy Detective, Adventure and Western had a censored version, Spicy Mystery never did, presumably b/c the editors knew that with the horror included in the book, the mag never had a chance of being accepted, censorship or not.

If you read the censored and uncensored, you can see that ... yeah ... the censorship board really had a leg to stand on questioning these mags ...

Is the scanned page from Bookery's Guide to the Pulps?

I really need to find me a copy. :pullhair:

No, not from the Bookery Guide. Here's another book to ask your wife for your BDay. My large Spicy scans and text + info are from Uncovered: The Hidden Art of the Girlie Pulps by Doug Ellis.

51DM61WAZHL._SS500_.jpg

Do you have a copy of my favorite Tattle Tales: June 1934 (Spain) and July 1933 (Zanzibar) you can show and maybe Bedtime Stories from March 1934 (Thais) :wishluck: Ah Enoch Bolles :cloud9:

According to a quickie checklist I made years ago, I don't have a single one of your requested months. Sorry.

Enoch Bolles is one of my all time favorite cover artists. :luhv:

Do you have a copy of my favorite Tattle Tales: June 1934 (Spain) and July 1933 (Zanzibar) you can show and maybe Bedtime Stories from March 1934 (Thais) :wishluck: Ah Enoch Bolles :cloud9:

According to a quickie checklist I made years ago, I don't have a single one of your requested months. Sorry.

I didn't want to post them if you had a copy. Here's Zanzibar and another sweet Spicy Adventure cover -

57031-EB9.jpg.319ea84d50f0a01990f740cd21b9f47c.jpg

57032-SAS-May1942.jpg.92936de3f102c9a9f227965d9c67b2aa.jpg

spicymystery.jpg

Please post more Spicy and Speed covers. I think this scan is from one of the anthologies (The Pulps by Tony Goodstone) that I purchased at a flea market. It has a variety of covers and a lot of text. Unfortunately I haven't found a lot of early pulps. They tend to be more fragile and hard to find in grade. The Bat or Batman seemed to be a popular name for a character in pulps. The Black Bat stories were also being published before 1939.

BB

2287716433_027eaac82a_b.jpg

BB

spicymystery.jpg

very nice Bang......I had a high grade copy of this issue that I sold on eBay about 3 years ago......."The Dentist" was the high bidder. It sold for about $3k, which I was told may have been a record price for this pulp at that time.

Since the rest of your collection isn't worth that much, at least you know you have a solid $3k with this one, if you ever choose to sell it all. (thumbs u

Steve

This image is from the cover of what GA cover?

quiz28_1.jpg

Here's another piece.

quiz28_5.jpg

...and another.

quiz28_7.jpg

And...

quiz28_2.jpg

Maybe you'll recognize this face.

quiz28_10.jpg

CAPTAIN AMERICA COMICS #8

I love that cover and I still wouldn't have gotten that one right from those clues. There is a reason I've never won a pop quiz.

:tonofbricks:

So... anybody got any Saucy Movie Tales? :shy:

I have one. :hi:

Prove it :sumo:

The September 1936 issue is probably the most famous issue of the run. Any chance that's the issue you own :wishluck: Aaaahhh, the French :luhv:lol

57040-SaucyMovieTales-Sept1936.jpg.d273eb73bf8d97277a37b8d37eb7106d.jpg

spicyadventure.jpg

spicymystery.jpg

SPECTACULAR BZ!!!! As much as I enjoy your comics ( (worship)), i REALLY love seeing what gems will come out of your pulps collection.

Amazing stuff. :applause:

(just love H. J. Ward's work BTW... that guy could paint, man. Him and Saunders are just top-notch.)

Are all the scans you've posted from The Hidden Art of the Girlie Pulps by Doug Ellis?

That's another title I need to add to my list. :gossip:

Yes they are!! Here's another Saucy for reference - Dec. 1936 (Sorry but it was tougher to lay it flat on the scanner) -

57049-SaucyMovieTales-Dec1936.jpg.ff230f71143c41d04143693014315a9a.jpg