• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
21 21

18,204 posts in this topic

Anyone else bought the new Noel Sickles book with his complete run on Scorchy Smith?

61kwoyDE8vL._SS500_.jpg

It is hands down the best book of the year so far

I've been reading great things about the book on the Comic Strip Classics Yahoo group. :applause:

Neat books, Scrooge. :applause:

Are you collecting the entire series?

Nah. I picked them up for Ciorac and will be mailing them out to him tomorrow. (thumbs u

The covers of some of the books remind me of the covers of 1940's Dell paperbacks. Compare the cover illustration of the Jane Withers book to the covers to "The Man who Murdered Goliath" and "Beyond the Dark." The style is very similar.

You're right! Very similar. The interior illos are by Henry Vallely, yes, that Vallely from whom Kane swiped a lot. It is not clear that he also did provide the design for the cover.

I've been reading great things about the book on the Comic Strip Classics Yahoo group. :applause:

:gossip: I'm on that group too. Dean's comment that people thought this should have been priced at $75 is so true. This book is worth more than the $50 cover price (of course, I didn't pay cover ...)

Scoop today mentions that the Paintings of St John book is already sold out :o But, apparently, they'll be releasing a SC version so we'll just have to wait :D

Anyone else bought the new Noel Sickles book with his complete run on Scorchy Smith?

61kwoyDE8vL._SS500_.jpg

It is hands down the best book of the year so far

I just ordered it yesterday along with the Alex Raymond book and a number of others.

Scoop today mentions that the Paintings of St John book is already sold out

Noooooooo! :cry:

I was planning on ordering a couple books from Vanguard this weekend.

Can I play too?

Westerns? Yes (thumbs u

Romance/Girly books? No :sumo:

I have one of the slipcase versions, and a few of the hard covers left. (PM if interested!)

The soft cover just came out this week and are readily available.

I just ordered it yesterday along with the Alex Raymond book and a number of others.

AS, do you have a copy of Illustration # 22?

Last week, I finally read the article by Dave Saunders on Fred Blakeslee and once again I was amazed at the amount of bio info he turned up. I believe I had run a Yahoo! search on Blakeslee a couple of years ago and found nothing online.

I was delighted to learn that Blakeslee had been a draftsman for the Curtiss company in its early years and to see that his training then carried to his career since Blakeslee mainly illustrated Air pulps, notably the G-8 covers.

Anyway, I was wondering if you'd read the piece and what was your opinion ... :popcorn:

AS, do you have a copy of Illustration # 22?

Last week, I finally read the article by Dave Saunders on Fred Blakeslee and once again I was amazed at the amount of bio info he turned up. I believe I had run a Yahoo! search on Blakeslee a couple of years ago and found nothing online.

I was delighted to learn that Blakeslee had been a draftsman for the Curtiss company in its early years and to see that his training then carried to his career since Blakeslee mainly illustrated Air pulps, notably the G-8 covers.

Anyway, I was wondering if you'd read the piece and what was your opinion ... :popcorn:

I picked up missing issues of Illustration while at San Diego Con and I very much enjoyed the Blakeslee article. I've liked all of the issues, in fact. I usually go through it three times, first to view all the pictures, second to read the articles and third to view all the pictures again now that I know more about the artist.

I have one of the slipcase versions, and a few of the hard covers left. (PM if interested!)

The soft cover just came out this week and are readily available.

Richard came through for me! (worship)

Stuntman had an origin similar to Robin but S and K put a different spin on it.

2810565413_a0b5445739_o.jpg

I liked the Blue Beetle and this Boy Commandos Sci Fi cover.

bb

2810549477_0335f34d8a_o.jpg

Blue Beetle 12 from Jake in Baltimore.

Boy Commandos from Wally at the outdoor flea market.

2810549607_3a096d2793_o.jpg