• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
21 21

18,204 posts in this topic

Those are really beautiful! I keep trying to ignore paperbacks, this post isn't helping. :mad:

Anyone have Lovecraft's lurking fear by Avon? It's the only decent paperback I have had, the cover is so nice!

Here is my copy of Lurking Fear and another cover I like. :)

pbacks2.jpg

That avon reader is sweet too!

To get back to the pic!! Multiple copies of certain books. :cool: Do you keep multiple of the ones you like?

Back before vintage paperbacks began to be considered collector's items, many used book stores didn't like to carry 25¢ or 35¢ cover priced books in their inventory because customers felt they were being cheated if the store asked for more than the original selling price (and most stores had a 50¢, or whatever, minimum). As a result, a bunch of stores I frequented would throw the old books away or let them accumulate in a back room.

When I began to collect vintage paperbacks and started asking about them in stores, I found many dealers were willing to give me boxfuls of them for free or for a super cheap price.

I took whatever I found.

I too used to accumulate paperbacks. In the seventies I would go with my Dad into used bookstores looking for comics and if they didn't have any worth looking at, I would just walk up and down the aisles exploring. The covers on the old paperbacks began catching my eye and I soon became aware of the art of Belarski, Bergey, DeSoto, etc. The spines of the Avons, Dells, and Popular Library's stuck out amongst the newer books, so I would treat every store visit like an easter egg hunt. Back then I was paying 10 to 25 cents each for them. I started completing runs and they soon began to compete with comic books for my attention. Then Hancer's Paperback price guide came out and soon my cheap thrill got expensive. :cry:

pbacks1.jpg

A couple more favorites.

Photobucket declared that this image violates their terms of use -- first time it's happened to me. I'm a bit surprised as my album is private and I only link to the boards.

70172.jpg.b8cbccb0fb9e39b196456f12869e77f3.jpg

Is it the nudity? I know Eggs was having trouble with his underground sales thread bacause of that, but if so, how could they possibly have noticed? (shrug)

I assume it's the nudity but she's tastefully shielded like some of the pulps or other items in my gallery and I figure it unlikely someone on the boards would report it.

I thought this splash was pretty good even though it isn't the same as the Avon cover.

Great splash, BB. :applause:

Do you have a scan of the cover?

I have a scan from ga.uk. Note the Fawcette signature.

bb

3099500973_aed2786705_o.jpg

Blaisdell used those ants too.

2800414448_d72c19c930.jpg

I found this newspaper article in one of my cigar boxes with odds and ends.

I think I cut it out of the Monroe Evening News during the spring of 1965.

It is just a bit of history for the old collectors in the group.

3103087196_9aba4d7570_b.jpg

3086132774_ca238bd87e_o.gif

Flee started this one for me last year.

I added to it and hope that Lulu expresses our wish that everyone has a Merry Christmas.

bb

I posted this on the Ho, Ho, Ho! thread but it seems to have lost energy. So here it is again.

bb