• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
21 21

18,204 posts in this topic

On January 7th, 1929 the first Tarzan daily comic strip was published

tarzandailies.jpg

The first 60 strips can be read here. Link

Nice Link BZ. It also has some nice Frazetta art and this really nice Disney Christmas scene.

bb

3177013482_4892e931f2_o.jpg

On January 7th, 1929 the first Tarzan daily comic strip was published

tarzandailies.jpg

The first 60 strips can be read here. Link

Nice Link BZ. It also has some nice Frazetta art and this really nice Dan Turner scene. Do you have that pulp? Did you already show this?

bb

3177013194_3f4952e773_o.jpg

Over a thousand cartoons were released by Warner Bros. under the Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies name, so the collection is far from complete. It's a good start, though.

They are all uncut and unedited.

I think the dog cartoon you are referring to is, "Hare Ribbin." According to Wikipedia this cartoon has two different endings, both of which are included in the Looney Tunes Golden Collection.

From Wikipedia:

Censorship

This short actually contains two different endings, one of them exceptionally violent even by the usual Warner slapstick standards.

The "normal" ending, which was played in theaters and in earlier days on TV, nowadays is commonly cut from television versions (on network TV, cable, and syndication). It has the Russian Dog crying over Bugs' death and wishing he were dead too. Bugs then pops up and says, "Do you mean it?" and hands the dog a gun so he can shoot himself.

The "director's cut" ending actually has Bugs shove the gun in the dog's mouth and fire after the dog sobs, "I wish I was dead!" When this short aired on The Bob Clampett Show on Cartoon Network, the ending where Bugs gives the dog a gun and the dog commits suicide was shown (suicide was a frequent dark-humor gag in the WB cartoons), and in a short segment before the next cartoon, the announcer mentioned that Hare Ribbin' had an alternate ending, but it was never actually shown (it was alluded that the director's cut ending was so violent, it could never be shown).

The truth

In both versions, it is revealed the dog survived. When the picture is about to "iris-out", the dog raises up, holds the iris and says "This shoulden't happen to a dog!", he lets it go, only to have his nose caught.

Hare Ribbin (Released Version)

Hare Ribbin' Original End

I just noticed this cartoon in the Warner bros list. Do you have a link?

bb

Snafuperman (Freleng/Mar/3:4s) - 1944

... and this really nice Dan Turner scene. Do you have that pulp?

3177013194_3f4952e773_o.jpg

I recognize the painting as being from Robert Lesser's collection. He identified it in his book as being from the September, 1934 Dan Turner, but there was no such issue. (shrug)

This striking cover was painted by Norman Saunders.

completedetective.jpg

Complete Detective V1#1

BEAUTY copy BZ!! I am after that issue... there is one on ebay right now, but the BIN is too high for the ratty condition.

Can't wait for that Saunders book ...

Strange Tales was a genre magazine similar in content to Weird Tales.

Seven issues were published from September 1931-January 1933. All the covers were painted by H.W. Wesso who was also the cover artist to every issue of Astounding Stories that was published by Clayton (1930-1933).

The contibutors to this issue were Clark Ashton Smith, August W. Derleth, Charles Willard Diffin, Sophie Wenzel Ellis, Hugh B. Cave, Henry S. Whitehead, and Robert E. Howard.

strangetales193301.jpg

Strange Tales was a genre magazine similar in content to Weird Tales.

Seven issues were published from September 1931-January 1933. All the covers were painted by H.W. Wesso who was the cover artist to every issue of Astounding Stories that was published by Clayton (1930-1933).

The contibutors to this issue were Clark Ashton Smith, August W. Derleth, Charles Willard Diffin, Sophie Wenzel Ellis, Hugh B. Cave, Henry S. Whitehead, and Robert E. Howard.

strangetales193301.jpg

(worship)

Hugh Hefner's secret identity as a comic book artist.

Los Angeles Times Blog

BZ,

That was a nice perspective on Hugh's life. I found it a lot more interesting then that TV show with the cute girls (The Girls Next Door) and mind numbing conversation. OK, I probably won't get an invitation to stop over and watch the Flash Gordon serials with his buddies but the show does nothing for me. I noticed that they mention Robert Culp in that group and I remember seeing him on Johnny Carson requesting Big Little Books forty years ago. I don't know if he continued to collect them but it would be good to know how many Hollywood (and Broadway) actors are collectors.

bb

Edited by BB-Gun

I thought I'd repost this here from the cigar thread because I think it's important enough to be repeated :)

Happy, happy day!!!! Thanks eternally to 143ksk for selling back to me this comic I had sold him a couple years ago. If I Knew how hard it would have been to replace when I let it go, I never would have done so.

Here is my long winded explanation about the cover I copied over from my flickr page, which is similar to what I wrote when I first sold the book...

"A historic cover that has flown under the radar for over 50 years. At first glance I thought this was just a fun cover with a bad pun involving severed hands, Reading it over a couple times, I noticed that "Merywin" is a "humorous" racially stereotyped attempt at "Marilyn" and then I put it together, and that is Marilyn Monroe & Joe DiMaggio on the cover of this comic! This came out only a few months after they were married. "

3180552482_341cf3ea2f_o.jpg

Thanks Steve!