• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
21 21

18,204 posts in this topic

Here's one page I scanned for Thayer's work in this Four Color and for the animal violence theme -

95233.jpg

You've got my interest piqued, Scrooge.

Now I'm forced to go over to htmlcomics and look at the rest of that issue. :sumo:lol

According to the GCD, Craig did some work for Heroic around issue 50. I have early issues with Everett art and later issues with Frazetta but don't know about the middle stuff.

The issues of Heroic from that time period are filled with an interesting mix of artists: Fred Guardineer, Ed Moore, Alex Toth, Sid Greene, HG Peters, Graham Ingels, Johnny Craig, Bill Everett, etc.

Speaking of vintage art, anyone see the ad for "American Pickers" on TV? They were showing a stash of Harold Gray art they found.

Now I'm forced to go over to htmlcomics and look at the rest of that issue. :sumo:lol

I just assumed you had a copy (shrug)

Btw, I read that FC Jungle Jim issue last night (finally!).

I have a weakness for animal stories and the one therein was superb :D The second Jungle Jim story was more enjoyed than the first one ... probably b/c of the lovely lady :cool:

Jack Farr from All Funny 13. I really like his style

54845-Allfun13_SS.jpg

I like Farr's style, too. It has a very old fashioned quality to it.

I think I have some old humor magazines with his work in them.

I'll look in some of my old Judge Magazines to see if I can find anything. It would be fun to compare his older work with what he did later in the comic books.

It only took me two years to get around to it but here are a few examples of Jack Farr's cartoons from the 1920's.

4448333235_b78996be77_b.jpg

Here is a different Avon printing of The Moon Pool.

moonpool.jpg

Murder Mystery Monthly #18 (1943)

This time I found a Murder Mystery Monthly by Merritt. Do you have the paperback and Argosy?

bb

4474280773_54baaeb993.jpg

I like those Jack Farr cartoons. He did a lot of work for DC. Sometimes the lead story isn't very good but there is a nifty Farr out story as a backup.

bb

4476283700_7f6aff3b10_b.jpg

From Batman and Blue Beetle...

4475506369_49b86bd744_o.jpg

BB scan from GAC.

Edited by BB-Gun

Speaking of vintage art, anyone see the ad for "American Pickers" on TV? They were showing a stash of Harold Gray art they found.

I've been watching that show ever since I stumbled across it a few weeks ago.

Last night's episode had a bit of a surprise ending with the Harold Gray art, didn't it?

This time I found a Murder Mystery Monthly by Merritt. Do you have the paperback and Argosy?

4474280773_54baaeb993.jpg

I've got the original serialization of the story in Argosy and the later reprinting of it, too.

shipofishtar.jpg

November 8, 1924; October 29, 1938

I like those Jack Farr cartoons. He did a lot of work for DC. Sometimes the lead story isn't very good but there is a nifty Farr out story as a backup.

bb

4476283700_7f6aff3b10_b.jpg

From Batman and Blue Beetle...

4475506369_49b86bd744_o.jpg

BB scan from GAC.

He also did work for Fox and Eastern Color (Jingle Jangle): Link

Actually, my reason for asking is I recently picked up this original Ewer page from Puck (1914, as far as I can tell.) I was wondering if you might know which issue--I'd love to find a copy.

puck.jpg

:gossip: October 31, 1914 - Page 9

95515.jpg.49cad244e8c9b7c317f72289edd29da5.jpg

95516.jpg.db23e88ba5f339454c9e8b6e5fa6d0f6.jpg

buddlsmaller.jpg

:gossip:

Titled: The Dream of the Asphalt Chauffeur as seen in Puck v. LVII # 1482 dated July 26, 1905 - The dream part was not colored on publication while the "reality" (bottom) part was ... hence the crappy scan -

95517.jpg.ac3867cc177813fcf62417cf63c86cac.jpg

95518.jpg.8838c43fe99e302227ca508b6f682d0b.jpg