• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Boston Pedigrees

36 posts in this topic

Just another way to make a few extra bucks. They've been touting that collection as a "pedigree" for a month or two on ebay. It's not much of a collection from what I've seen- lots of VFs that have been relisted five times. I saw a few from the current crop that are listed with really low BINS.

Pretty much sums up most peoples' perception of the Boston pedigree. However, according to Mark Haspel at CGC, there are indeed multiple keys in the run & the majority of which are in the CGC 9.6 category. The remaining books we're getting to see from Becharra's tables at cons are basically the dregs from that fabulous collection.

Yeah,..I noticed the pickings in his box are getting kind of scraggly.....I don't think I bought anything the last time I looked........as for paying 5-12x cover blush.gifblush.gifblush.gifblush.gif..I've never paid that much for his stuff...I think the most i paid was 2.5x...most times I get him down to 2x.....Last time I saw him (in May I think)..he said he was going back to the well and get some fresh books...you guys think they are all done or are there more from the original owner??

oh yeah.....last time in boston he had a few boxes full but nothing great.....and some raw books but again no real keys...he did have a bats #189 but the pages were very dark so i passed...it was maybe a 9.2. When he is sellin a "key" that is not certified, i just keep walkin. Don't want to get flamed.gif

except the prices never come down...it is always 5x this or 12x that......no prices on the books at all and he has no idea what the guide value is, but he tosses out the multiple # pretty fast. I have seen him set up in Boston several times over the years and walkin around and to this day I have yet to buy a book from him. cloud9.gif

His prices weren't too outrageous when I looked at them. He basically wanted 2x NM guide for most of the books. I picked up a gorgeous copy of Aquaman #30 for $140, and was tempted to buy a Showcase #58 until I saw all the other copies for sale.

The only bad part was that he wanted 2x NM guide even for the VF copies. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Bechara is like "Oh that's 8x guide" "well how much is that? I asked. his response is,"hold on,let me look it up" Bechara has no clue.He has no prices on anything.How much is this? "oh that's a tough book" and walks away...The guy doesn't work,but yet he has a Mercades and a Maxima in the drive way.

paid many multiples for a "highest graded" 9.6 silver age book about 2 years ago; only to see 6 more show up on the census. (No doubt all Bostons.) It is a very nice collection though!

This sums up why no one should be chasing the HIGHEST GRADE COPY of any book quite yet (except a 10.0). You never know if you paid a huge multiple for a book that 10 years from now will be the tied for the 20th Highest Grade Copy.

I like when people say Highest Grade Copy, yet you look in the census and there is twenty more in the same grade. 893whatthe.gif

paid many multiples for a "highest graded" 9.6 silver age book about 2 years ago; only to see 6 more show up on the census. (No doubt all Bostons.) It is a very nice collection though!

This sums up why no one should be chasing the HIGHEST GRADE COPY of any book quite yet (except a 10.0). You never know if you paid a huge multiple for a book that 10 years from now will be the tied for the 20th Highest Grade Copy.

I like when people say Highest Grade Copy, yet you look in the census and there is twenty more in the same grade. 893whatthe.gif

Dammit...that is why I paid 10 times guide for a B & B 63 CGC 9.6 last year because I didn't think that there would be a higher grade copy. But...I checked the census when I got home and arrgh...there was a 9.8! Oh well...a copy of that book recently sold on ComicLink for $1,200. Yeah...I can still make $$ on that book! confused-smiley-013.gif

He said there are more spideys that the owner has,but I'm starting to think he's full of it,based on what i have heard from other people who know him,He gets the books in cycles every month, He doesn't know whats coming in the mail from the owner. Kevin

So does anyone have an idea about what is left of the Boston books from the original owner???Has Becharra hinted at the books remaing?

Nope...but there must be some more early bronze issues. He had some lower grade 100 page giants but I haven't seen any ultra high grade ones. In fact, the only bronze age book that I regularly see from the collection CGC graded is the Superman 233! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

He gets the books in cycles every month, He doesn't know whats coming in the mail from the owner. Kevin

According to Bechara, he doesn't have any control over what the guy sells him. He shows up and the guy has a group of books and Bechara buys whatever the guy has. Bechara has done well off the Boston books so he would be a fool to reveal who the guy is and would also be a fool not to not buy whatever the guy has to sell - regardless if it primo or swill.

For those of you who haven't noticed, when he has a new group of books that haven't made it into mylars yet, on the Scotch tape there is a price written - I don't know if that's what he paid for the book but it tends to be whatever the NM price is for the book.

You have to wonder why the original owner hasn't shopped around more...Why did he happen to go to Becharra of all people? (and not some bigger dealer like Metropolis or Heritage...) Does anyone know how Becharra found this guy???

the original owner has been good friends with Bechara for a very long time.I have noticed the price on the back on the tape,that is how much it guides for,Bechara pays a certain multiple of guide for them,since Bechara has sold me boston books for 3X guide,my guess is that he's paying about 2x times guide at least. Kevin

You have to wonder why the original owner hasn't shopped around more...Why did he happen to go to Becharra of all people? (and not some bigger dealer like Metropolis or Heritage...) Does anyone know how Becharra found this guy???

Or Chuckie! Maybe Chuck could drive to Boston in a horse drawn carriage to pick up the collection? In the winter, of course.