• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jeph Loeb Batman Stories other than HUSH

27 posts in this topic

Are the only Batman written collected works by Jeph Loeb other than the current storyline HUSh.....Long halloween and dark victory, or is there other's by him.

Are these stories as good as Hush or better or worse.....cause I've really been enjoying Hush.

Btw...I finnally got Alan Moore's Batman: The Killing Joke. (12th printing, YUCK....but it was right in front of me at the store so i snatched it)

I can't wait to give it a read.

You'll love the Killing Joke! Moore is good, but not great. The art, however, is stunning! It's a really good book.

Funny you should ask this. I'm not the biggest Bats fan out there, but b/c of Hush, I recently picked up Long Halloween. I found it to be a reallly good story and enjoyed it tremendously. One of the best Batman stories I have read in a while (the last one being the dreadful Dark Knight Strikes Again). There were a couple things about the story that had me going, "Huh?" But I won't reveal them as you haven't read it.

Once I'm thru reading what left in my "To Be Read" pile, I will be picking up "Dark Victory".

Chris

Are the only Batman written collected works by Jeph Loeb other than the current storyline HUSh.....Long halloween and dark victory, or is there other's by him.

Are these stories as good as Hush or better or worse.....cause I've really been enjoying Hush.

Btw...I finnally got Alan Moore's Batman: The Killing Joke. (12th printing, YUCK....but it was right in front of me at the store so i snatched it)

Batman is definitely hit or miss and Long Halloween and Dark Victory and two big hits. Chris - I would read them simultaneously.

I read the Killing Joke but I am not sure that I really appreciated it enough. That's one book that once I find my 6th printing I will give it another read.

My all time favorite Batman TPBs are (w/ the exception of Death in the Family, my all time favorite comic story period):

The Greatest Batman Strories Ever Told v1

The Greatest Joker Stories Ever Told

Batman: Tales of the Demon

All three are required reading.

DAM

Batman is definitely hit or miss and Long Halloween and Dark Victory and two big hits. Chris - I would read them simultaneously.

I read the Killing Joke but I am not sure that I really appreciated it enough. That's one book that once I find my 6th printing I will give it another read.

My all time favorite Batman TPBs are (w/ the exception of Death in the Family, my all time favorite comic story period):

All three are required reading.

DAM

For me the Long Halloween is my favourite, once I start reading it I can't put it down. I also agree that the TPB "Greatest Joker stories ever told" is an excellent read.

I know I will get killed for this but I didn't like the killing Joke or the Dark Night returns.

I think you mean concurrently.... with Long Halloween being first. I actually liked Long Halloween and Dark Victory better than I'm liking Hush.

In addition, Loeb and Sale did 3 halloween one-shots prior to Long Halloween.... and these have been collected into tpb form.

I think you mean concurrently.... with Long Halloween being first. I actually liked Long Halloween and Dark Victory better than I'm liking Hush.

D'oh!!! insane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gif

That's exactly what I meant. shy.gif

DAM

Somebody refresh my memory but wasn't there a Batman mini series called The Cult? I believe it was done by Starlin and Wrightson. I recall reading that series and throughly enjoying it. I'll throw that out as recommended reading.

i just finished the new Batman/Superman #1 by Loeb/McGuinness. Not bad. The usual origin intros and then the story begins......could be interesting. I don't buy new books (this was a buddy's i was reading)...but if u wanted to start a new title, this probably won't disappoint.

Somebody refresh my memory but wasn't there a Batman mini series called The Cult? I believe it was done by Starlin and Wrightson. I recall reading that series and throughly enjoying it. I'll throw that out as recommended reading.

I never read the Cult but can confirm it's existance. Suppossedly a new printing just came out in TPB this week.

DAM

Right you are, Sam! Starlin and Wrightson were the creative team for the Cult. I believe it came out in 1989, in delux format (4 issues). It was an OK story, IMO. It was about a crazy "preacher" who lead, well, a cult. They murdered people they believed were sinners. Jason Todd was actually kick in this story. Not the best Bat-book I've read, but the TPB might be worth a look.

The art was actually painted by Wrightson! Pretty demonic looking Batman, with really long ears. Some of it is kind of sloppy looking. It's a pretty gory book; lots of blood.

Good call on the "Greatest Joker Stories". I think that was the first TPB I ever bought, back in 1988(?). That's the first time I remember seeing Neal Adams Batman! 893whatthe.gif (Like I said, I'm not the biggest Batman fan). The TPB reprinted Batman #251, my favorite single Batman issue and best Joker story ever (I know Gman will agree! cool.gif). I sure wish I had bought the Hardcover though. A ridiculously evil Sienkiewicz Joker Painting! cloud9.gif

Chris

Son of the Demon was a pretty good story... I can't remember the creative team (I'll have to dig it out) but I thought that it was good when I read it...

Gotham by Gaslight... ugh. I thought that the read was a real yawner... but the mignola art was nice to look at.

By the way, although I liked Dark Victory, it's not even close to as good to the Long Halloween. It's very much a sequel and like most sequels, it pales in comparison to its original (except that xmen 2 movie).

There's also a tpb reprinting of all of Loeb/Sale's Halloween Batman stories that preceeded Long Halloween.

I will pick those up as well then. I really like Sale's art. It works very well for "early Batman". Has a nice noir feel.

Would definately like to see them work together again in the future. (Spidey: Blue was great as well!)

Chris