• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGC Mint Sales

118 posts in this topic

Matter of factly, he had such an outlandish price on it, having advertised and displayed it for so long that he was "famous/infamous" for it.

You're talking about the CGC 10.0 Captain Canuck #1 aren't you? 27_laughing.gif

27_laughing.gif

In all seriousness, Mr. Nice raises a great point - Heritage's estimates would have forever been thrown to the wind had they not done something with the media monster that they themselves helped to create. As is, some (most) of those estimates are just absolutely flat out whack.

It reminds me of Sosa corking his bat - sure the MLB examined every single one of his bats and only found cork in the one, but had they found anything, what would they have to gain by admitting it? They only had more to lose . . .

DAM

If the goal here is to keep up with inflation, which do you think is a better bet:

(a) 1 AF #15 CGC 9.4 @ $150,000

(b) 26 POUNDS (Holy #@$&!) of gold bullion at current market prices.

Highly interesting discussion! A couple of people have mentioned Gold as being a better investment and I wonder how that could be? Sometime in the early 1980's I looked into buying gold as an investment because it was rising in price and getting a lot of publicity. The price was around $380 an oz back then but I passed. Gold prices closed yesterday at $360.10 an oz. In 20 years, gold hasn't gone up in value at all. It seems to stay basically stagnant. How is it a good investment (long term)? I'm really interested to know.

Between the two, I'd take the AF #15 (because I'm a collector). I will agree with others however that there are better investments to be found in comics.

If the goal here is to keep up with inflation, which do you think is a better bet:

(a) 1 AF #15 CGC 9.4 @ $150,000

(b) 26 POUNDS (Holy #@$&!) of gold bullion at current market prices.

Highly interesting discussion! A couple of people have mentioned Gold as being a better investment and I wonder how that could be? Sometime in the early 1980's I looked into buying gold as an investment because it was rising in price and getting a lot of publicity. The price was around $380 an oz back then but I passed. Gold prices closed yesterday at $360.10 an oz. In 20 years, gold hasn't gone up in value at all. It seems to stay basically stagnant. How is it a good investment (long term)? I'm really interested to know.

Between the two, I'd take the AF #15 (because I'm a collector). I will agree with others however that there are better investments to be found in comics.

27_laughing.gif let's hear it for a fellow printer! acclaim.gif

Hi All: Take the $150K buy yourself a nice rental property, take the income monthly, if you do your research the property should appreciate, offer the property to your long term tenant, hold the paper. That paper will be a much better investment than any that has 4 colors, plus you get the income monthly. What will your funny book that sits in a safe deposit box give you in return.

Best, Tom

Hi All: Take the $150K buy yourself a nice rental property, take the income monthly, if you do your research the property should appreciate, offer the property to your long term tenant, hold the paper. That paper will be a much better investment than any that has 4 colors, plus you get the income monthly. What will your funny book that sits in a safe deposit box give you in return.

Best, Tom

This is the best advice on this entire thread. 150k may be too high or too low depending on where you live, but the idea is a very solid one.. and it works well too smile.gif

Brian

Best, Tom

This is the best advice on this entire thread. 150k may be too high or too low depending on where you live, but the idea is a very solid one.. and it works well too smile.gif

Brian

I agree 100%.

Thanks! Yep, I've got ink under my fingernails! Goes away in about a week laugh.gif I like your signature line - I certainly never thought I'd grow up to be a printer (better than flipping burgers).

Black ink is the worst for me,it takes a few days to come off,most people i know hate blue ink,it's the worst for them..each person has a color that doesn't wanna come off easy for them...lol. I never thought I'd be in printing for a living either...it's a joke around the shop of why we got into this..lol. started out a stacker and stayed with it cause every time turned around when i thought about leaving I got a raise or moved up ect...you know how it is. Kevin

A couple of people have mentioned Gold as being a better investment and I wonder how that could be? Sometime in the early 1980's I looked into buying gold as an investment because it was rising in price and getting a lot of publicity. The price was around $380 an oz back then but I passed. Gold prices closed yesterday at $360.10 an oz. In 20 years, gold hasn't gone up in value at all. It seems to stay basically stagnant. How is it a good investment (long term)? I'm really interested to know.

If you looked beneath the surface of this simplistic observation, you would realize that you answered your own question in your question. "I looked into buying gold as an investment because it was rising in price and getting a lot of publicity". Well, doesn't that sound rather familiar? Couldn't one easily say today, "I looked into buying a CGC 9.4 AF #15 because it was rising in price and getting a lot of publicity"? The time to SELL is at the peak of the hype and the time to BUY is when nobody is paying any attention.

It just goes to show you that the time to buy the AF #15 was back in 1991 (see Odin88's thread which shows the ad for a NM/MT copy offered for $6,500 in 1991), BEFORE the movie franchise and BEFORE it went parabolic and increased in value 20-fold. Buy low, sell high - sound familiar? Buying the AF #15 now would, to paraphrase Neil Gaiman, be like shutting the barn door shut after the horse has already gotten out and won the Kentucky Derby.

As for gold, hell yeah I'm interested in buying these days. It's rallied the past few years, but is still close to multi-decade lows while every central bank in the world is cranking their printing presses in a futile attempt to revive the global economy. I could envision a scenario where deflation still wins out and gold falls to $200/oz., but if that happens, the price of an AF #15 CGC 9.4 will suffer a sickening decline as well.

I'm confident that, in the long-term, regardless of what happens to the nominal price of gold, 26 pounds of it will be worth more than an AF #15 CGC 9.4.

Gene

oh i agree it might bea bad buy for people on this forum but for the speculator? Hmmm, for us, it would be a buy of love. But we all know people out there who, after kept for 10-15/20yearswould paysomewhat more than what it was purchased for last. Look atthe loulous paying for moderns? If promoted the rightway, someone will bite. Bet ya? I penny 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The thing about Mark Wilson is that it seems he does not hesitate to pay absolute top-dollar for his books. As a result, you have to pay over-the-top dollar to get them from him. And because he pays well, he gets access to stuff you don't see anywhere else. And some hard-core collectors see this, and realize they have to pay up if they want these books, so he does make sales. I also would think that he has at least a couple of pure investors on his client list. That seems to me to be his M.O, and it seems to work for him. Some of the stuff on his site is mind-boggling.

Check this out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2187002289&category=33822&rd=1

Mark Wilson has bid this Superman #238 CGC 9.6 up to $180.00. That's crazy money for a non-key book from 1971. I was willing to (maybe) go up to $60.00 on it. It's the top census though and that's what he likes.

If he gets it for $180 (the BIN on it was $260!!) what do you think his list price will be? It's going to take YEARS to make his investment back on this book, if he ever does.

You know the funnest thing about it..........

gossip.gif............It's MY book.

Did you sell it to him or is it a consignment? (I don't know if he takes consignments though).

I bought a 9.4 (OW) from Heritage last month for 72.70, including juice and shipping. I felt that was pushing the limit on the value of the Supes 238.

No, the 9.6 currently on e-bay is mine grin.gif

I figured around $200 give or take

Well, good luck with it! It has far surpassed my budget! I would never have guessed it to go for more than 100. Did you see those 9.6 Supermans on Heritage this week? They were numbers in the 260s, but still 9.6s. They seemed to sell for reasonable prices. I bid on them, but they went too high for my current budget.

I wonder why he just didn't hit the BIN? It seems he doesn't care how much he pays for something, so why not make sure you get it?

As this thread started out as a discussion of PGC Mint, and his business practices, let me say this:

For all his quirks and astonishing asking prices, let us not forget that he'd be a great prospect to SELL a book to, if you come up with some of those "no-comp" , "Highest Graded" copies that help him pad his catalog! cool.gif

`Wonder what he'd give me for this gem-mint Team America #1, if I were to submit it? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

-Joe

Anyone looking to bid on this book can rest assured that Scott is a solid seller and the book will be packaged very well. Not to mention his books look A+, the book I received from him was 100 percent accurate grade from CGC.

Brian