• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGC Mint Sales

118 posts in this topic

I wonder why he just didn't hit the BIN? It seems he doesn't care how much he pays for something, so why not make sure you get it?

I really don't see him pay significantly above market for many books...he pays right at market and then hikes his price up above market. He obviously thinks these Silver/Bronze DCs are hard to find in this grade, but that doesn't mean he just pays any price...I don't think he likes to hold inventory for much more than a year from the prices I've seen him pay so he's not gonna go nuts trying to get any one book unless it's ultra-rare, ultra-popular, and ultra-high-grade.

I think old PGC is certainlly trying to corner a chunck of the mkt so to speak.

Serpi too on the DCs. My Lord have you seen the prices he pays? what.gif

Yeah, and he doesn't sell that stuff either...I have bought some books from him when his web site worked and I have tried to buy stuff off of him privately that he's won on Ebay and no luck....he must have an impressive DC collection.....btw , yes he's (was ) related to Frank Serpico...

Yeah, and he doesn't sell that stuff either...I have bought some books from him when his web site worked and I have tried to buy stuff off of him privately that he's won on Ebay and no luck....he must have an impressive DC collection.....

I guess the difference between Serpi & Wilson is one collects comics, the other collects museum pieces. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

btw , yes he's (was ) related to Frank Serpico...

shocked.gif589.jpgshocked.gif

back to gold....I remember in the early 80s before Reagan was elected, and Carter was in th emiddle of his unsolvable Iranian hostage crisis, and interest rates were hitting close to 15% for savings accts.....that gold shot up to about $1000 an ounce from in the 200-300 range. But it fell back down, and, as pointed out earlier, has never risen past the mid 300s since.

The explanation I have read had to do with the world no longer looking to gold as the most enduring valuable in times of crisis. A sentiment and truism that dated back to ancient times. Of course, like anythibg that is finally considered "dead" like the "old economy" and "old media" in the 90s (yikes!) = = now that the idea is firmly established that GOLD is a dead end investment. it may shoot back to th etop again.

The world does seem a bit more tenuous lately, and this blackout doesnt build confidence in the structure of thi s'brave new world" we are supposed to be living in. Perhaps gold will come back bigtime.

And, back to the rental property idea. you have to factor in your expenses that come out of the rental income. Even without a mortgage, you have taxes to pay, upkeep, electricity (maybe). And what kind of rent can a $150000 property throw off? $450 - $700 a month. You'll probably come out ahead as you say, but not wildly.

finally - - the thing stat stands out for me as the biggest roadblock to profit on this particular AF#15 is that its is not the one-and-only 9.6. The argument is really whether the BEST copy at $150K is a good deal. Paying that amount for one of the 5 SECOND best copies is a whole different argument..and a no-brainer. Especially factoring in the seller who is well-known for ridiculous over-the-top pricing on his books.

I guess the bump coincided with the Gulf War right? So maybe Gold still has some pull in times of crisis, but less than when the world's currencies were tied to gold reserves.

I believe you're right about the timing. There was noticeably a lack of much impact from the Iraqi war this time. Though the price rise seems to have been happening since 9/11, but very slowly.

Hi aman619: Your income figure on the 150K rental property is somewhat low. The rent would be in the $1100-1300 range. Even after income taxes, property taxes, which are deductible) expenses ( which most are paid by the tenant ) those that are not are deductible, your are probably in the 6.5 to 7.25% ROI.

Now that is real money, not paper gains like stocks. Monthly checks that even with todays interest rates you can deposit and pick up a few more points on or, invest in other ways ( Comics, Collectibles, etc. ). It is real property, you control your own market, unlike stocks.

Gold is better left to those who control the market of such things!

If you think that the CGC market will increase anywhere near what has happened in the past 3 years you are in a dream state. Just like the bubble in the Tech market of 2000 there is an end to all good things, prices will probably fall a little and stabilze. ( I Hope )

The AF 15 at a 150K price tag is not a good investment. It's a toy for somewone who has more money than sense. As a collector I would love to own the Showcase 4 CGC 9.4, but as a realist, I know it would not be a wise decision.

Sorry for the long winded post!

Best, Tom

trouble with a Showcase 4 9.4 is there is sadly far less demand. That book was hot a decade ago, but many copies surfaced as a result. And as any diehard Marvel CGC HG amasser on these boards will tell you, DC sucks. I dont agree, but in th emarketplace, numbers talk.

anyway, I agree that at 5-7% real income after expenses its the best deal offered.. I estimated the rents as so low because I dont think you can buy anything for so "little" near any major city and frankly guessed at what rents would be elsewhere.

A Showcase 4 9.4 would be a far better investment than a AF15 9.4 IMO (Not to mention it would cost more)The book has only one known copy above 9.2. I'd take the Showcase over the 1st Spidey in a Flash. grin.gif

Hi aman619: Your income figure on the 150K rental property is somewhat low. The rent would be in the $1100-1300 range. Even after income taxes, property taxes, which are deductible) expenses ( which most are paid by the tenant ) those that are not are deductible, your are probably in the 6.5 to 7.25% ROI.

Now that is real money, not paper gains like stocks. Monthly checks that even with todays interest rates you can deposit and pick up a few more points on or, invest in other ways ( Comics, Collectibles, etc. ). It is real property, you control your own market, unlike stocks.

Gold is better left to those who control the market of such things!

If you think that the CGC market will increase anywhere near what has happened in the past 3 years you are in a dream state. Just like the bubble in the Tech market of 2000 there is an end to all good things, prices will probably fall a little and stabilze. ( I Hope )

The AF 15 at a 150K price tag is not a good investment. It's a toy for somewone who has more money than sense. As a collector I would love to own the Showcase 4 CGC 9.4, but as a realist, I know it would not be a wise decision.

Sorry for the long winded post!

Best, Tom

True.

-Joe

The explanation I have read had to do with the world no longer looking to gold as the most enduring valuable in times of crisis. A sentiment and truism that dated back to ancient times.

Well, let it not be said that I don't put my money where my mouth is...dipped my toe into the water and placed my first real gold bullion order yesterday...didn't go overboard, but did spend the equivalent of a Hulk #181 CGC 9.6. We'll see which is worth more 20 years from now!

Not that it really matters, though...I bought for portfolio diversification purposes and not for speculation...we'll see if plastic-slabbed funny books or precious metals prove to be the better hedge against the enormous private & public sector debts, competitive currency devaluation and runaway central bank money creation that is threatening the global economy today.

- Gene Goldfinger

Obviously there's pitfalls in purchasing income properties as well. Certainly you wouldn't want to buy anything with a questionable roof. Most of the houses I buy either have new roofs or the roof was done by someone I can trust that it will be fine for years (barring a tree falls on it or something tongue.gif). I usually look for houses that have gravity furnaces due to the fact that in my experience those things seem to run forever without many problems. Obviously there's many other things to think about.. to buy a slab or not.. is the siding okay or not? Anyways, in a standard 1 year rental agreement on a 100,000 dollar house with 2 maybe 3 bedrooms. I can come out with about 800 a month in rent. So basically after the mortgaged amount you're looking at 150 dollars a month extra. That goes into a fund and provides full payment for taxes, as well as any upkeep (most years there's none, but sometimes you have to repaint or whatever).

In conclusion, if you can buy a house for 100,000 dollars.. get someone to make the payments, meanwhile your house is appreciating.. in 20 years or so, you'll end up with a 135,000 (if it's so-so) to 155,000 (if it's nice) house. Not to mention after the 20 year loan is up, all rental payments are just profit (minus repairs or upkeep of course). In my experience it's been a very pleasurable experience and profitable. As with comics, you need to be careful about what you buy though.. smile.gif

Brian

EDIT: Meant to add that electric, gas, water, basically all utilities are paid by the renter. Also, a portion of the actual base rent payment goes toward the yearly taxes

Obviously there's pitfalls in purchasing income properties as well. Certainly you wouldn't want to buy anything with a questionable roof. Most of the houses I buy either have new roofs or the roof was done by someone I can trust that it will be fine for years (barring a tree falls on it or something tongue.gif). I usually look for houses that have gravity furnaces due to the fact that in my experience those things seem to run forever without many problems. Obviously there's many other things to think about.. to buy a slab or not.. is the siding okay or not? Anyways, in a standard 1 year rental agreement on a 100,000 dollar house with 2 maybe 3 bedrooms. I can come out with about 800 a month in rent. So basically after the mortgaged amount you're looking at 150 dollars a month extra. That goes into a fund and provides full payment for taxes, as well as any upkeep (most years there's none, but sometimes you have to repaint or whatever).

In conclusion, if you can buy a house for 100,000 dollars.. get someone to make the payments, meanwhile your house is appreciating.. in 20 years or so, you'll end up with a 135,000 (if it's so-so) to 155,000 (if it's nice) house. Not to mention after the 20 year loan is up, all rental payments are just profit (minus repairs or upkeep of course). In my experience it's been a very pleasurable experience and profitable. As with comics, you need to be careful about what you buy though.. smile.gif

Brian

EDIT: Meant to add that electric, gas, water, basically all utilities are paid by the renter. Also, a portion of the actual base rent payment goes toward the yearly taxes

so somewhere inbetween both scenarios might be expected. Both of you point to profits conceivably greater than the 4-color alternative...but with its own share of potential pitfalls. and, actually, Murph, you will do better in th escenario posted because 'we' are paying cash for the house...no mortgage payments coming out of rental income..

So how many houses have you bought?

A Showcase 4 9.4 would be a far better investment than a AF15 9.4 IMO (Not to mention it would cost more)The book has only one known copy above 9.2. I'd take the Showcase over the 1st Spidey in a Flash. grin.gif

Rip, yes, S#4 is rarer and will be even as the DC census fills out as Marvel's already has. But I'm sure a 9.4 AF15 will sell for more than the one and only S#4. Does Metropolis have a price for it? Maybe Im falling for the current hype with Spidey being the king of comics and Flash/DC Silver so far "out of fashion". And this may swing back again. But Spidey's fame and success seems to be rivalling Supes and Bats in a way that Flash never will.

As the Marvel/Spidey guys are fond of saying, thats a lot of DEMAND talking $$$$s

I'm at 34 now. Plan to stop at 40. I've found it works better in mortgage as I was getting them at slightly under 5 percent interest. Hard to beat that. My only wish was that some more quality candidates showed up. frown.gif

And, as per usual on a purchase, I'm putting down 10 percent on each house, but since I'm a realtor.. I can most of the time get both sides of the listing and selling side (which comes to 7 percent) so I really only need to come up with 3 percent myself. The least I've ever spent walking out of a closing is 173.something. smile.gif

Brian