• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sale of Amazing Spider-man #86 makes "Scoop"

168 posts in this topic

And I hate the way you end every post with an improper ellipsis. hi.gif

Habits are hard to break... smirk.gif

Jim

Then at least add one more dot at the end of it, for the love of God.

And I hate the way you end every post with an improper ellipsis. hi.gif

Habits are hard to break... smirk.gif

Jim

Then at least add one more dot at the end of it, for the love of God.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

"." flowerred.gif

Jim

I totally agree with your statements Scott, it shouldn't be like this. You followed all of the rules for sellers.

Books must be CGC or raw only, or items directly related to comics.

No spamming. Group your for sale items into as few threads as is reasonable. Attempts to take up front page real estate by creating multiple threads for no reason are not allowed.

It must be an exclusive board-only offer. If the book is offered for sale through another venue (ebay, dealer site, personal web site, etc.) then it should NOT be offered here. It should be offered in the Sales Advertising board.

Links to outside sites for any purpose involving purchasing the offered books are not allowed.

It must list specific books with purchase prices. It is acceptable to bulk price, and/or to note that package discounts may be available, but you must list a starting price that you WILL sell for.

List scans or information about the grade of the offered books.

List estimated shipping costs, times, and methods.

List acceptable forms of payment

Prompt responses must be made to buy requests made through the boards (posts or PMs).

Threads may be bumped three times total AND only ONE FULL DAY AFTER falling off of the front page. This does not include "sold" notices, or truly useful informational updates. Note: we CAN tell the difference between a real update and a fake bump-update. Tread that line at your own risk. If you're spam bumping, "lawyering" the rules will not save you

What is needed in the selling threads are rules for buyers/watchers/lurkers.

- As much as you may disagree with a price you shouldn't complain about it in the thread

- There are always good natured fun type comments, but there are times when people say some nasty *spoon* about the seller or the item they are selling.

- Also it doesn't help when people say "That's a 9.6! My 9.2 looks better then that book!"

- If a person is grading raw books you shouldn't complain about a given grade, if the seller says it is NM and there is a slight bend, don't attack the seller, just don't buy the book!

These are just suggestions, but I do think some kind of rules should also be set up for commenting in a seller's thread.

But, that's just me. crazy.gif

I totally agree with your statements Scott, it shouldn't be like this. You followed all of the rules for sellers.

Books must be CGC or raw only, or items directly related to comics.

No spamming. Group your for sale items into as few threads as is reasonable. Attempts to take up front page real estate by creating multiple threads for no reason are not allowed.

It must be an exclusive board-only offer. If the book is offered for sale through another venue (ebay, dealer site, personal web site, etc.) then it should NOT be offered here. It should be offered in the Sales Advertising board.

Links to outside sites for any purpose involving purchasing the offered books are not allowed.

It must list specific books with purchase prices. It is acceptable to bulk price, and/or to note that package discounts may be available, but you must list a starting price that you WILL sell for.

List scans or information about the grade of the offered books.

List estimated shipping costs, times, and methods.

List acceptable forms of payment

Prompt responses must be made to buy requests made through the boards (posts or PMs).

Threads may be bumped three times total AND only ONE FULL DAY AFTER falling off of the front page. This does not include "sold" notices, or truly useful informational updates. Note: we CAN tell the difference between a real update and a fake bump-update. Tread that line at your own risk. If you're spam bumping, "lawyering" the rules will not save you

What is needed in the selling threads are rules for buyers/watchers/lurkers.

- As much as you may disagree with a price you shouldn't complain about it in the thread

- There are always good natured fun type comments, but there are times when people say some nasty *spoon* about the seller or the item they are selling.

- Also it doesn't help when people say "That's a 9.6! My 9.2 looks better then that book!"

- If a person is grading raw books you shouldn't complain about a given grade, if the seller says it is NM and there is a slight bend, don't attack the seller, just don't buy the book!

These are just suggestions, but I do think some kind of rules should also be set up for commenting in a seller's thread.

But, that's just me. crazy.gif

hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Well said, toro! thumbsup2.gif

I think Scott has the right to ask whatever he wants for the book. I also think it is great that he got a price he felt good with and didn't have to pay a middle man on the deal. We are talking about Spider-Man and given the number of high grade collectors for that particular title, the book definitely gets a HUGE bump since it is the only 9.8. I have seen people slam others on these Marketplace post and definitely think it is unfair. I will admit, I have read some of the ads in the past and thought "man that's crazy", but never post anything since you have to ask yourself "why?". I also know I have paid some crazy prices for some stuff in the past so maybe the numbers aren't so crazy.

Congratulations to Scott and power to him.

What blows me away is how people "think" they know what it's worth. How can anyone know what something is worth when it's never been sold before??? If it's Hulk #181, we have a good enough track record to give parameters for most any grade, but this Spidey #86 has never existed in 9.8 before in a slab and there is no Overstreet or GPA data to reference.

Frankly, I think if the buyer and seller are happy, that's all that matters.

Congratulations to Scott and power to him.

What blows me away is how people "think" they know what it's worth. How can anyone know what something is worth when it's never been sold before??? If it's Hulk #181, we have a good enough track record to give parameters for most any grade, but this Spidey #86 has never existed in 9.8 before in a slab and there is no Overstreet or GPA data to reference.

Frankly, I think if the buyer and seller are happy, that's all that matters.

The buyer should be happy until another 9.8 is graded and comes to market.

The seller should be happy until a 9.8 is sold at a public venue and a bidding war commences between two or more deep-pocketed high-grade ASM collectors.

popcorn.gif

Did you think this one up all yourself - (or in Bob's case, it's the whole "I can't stand to see a collector sell a book for a profit" mentality) that drives me nuts

If you really believe this statement than you truly don't know me buddy.

I have no problem with a collector selling a book for a profit.

Just so we are clear I thought $8K (Hmmm 76X guide) was excessive and If I put that price on the book I'm sure there would be some interesting comments because I'm a dealer. $5300 (only 50X guide) makes for some great headlines.

And I'm alway's curious because it's great that you got the price but always wonder when the book comes up for sale will there be a buyer for it?

Congratulations, you've raised the bar, you are now the Highlander of AS #86's because you are the "one". Now certain 9.8's can go for 50+ guide.

I guess the 15X 9.8 guide that I used for pricing now goes out the window.

Think about this before you respond. And yes, AS #86 is a tough book, so was X-Men #79 (At $2600 this book only sold for 28X guide). But what are they really? Keys, no? tough books, yes.

A seller shouldn't have to receive criticism or put up with it?

Scott, you need to be on my side of the table when a buyer comes up to your booth and curses you out for pricing over guide.

Should I have a sign at my table that you are not allowed to comment on my pricing? Oh yeah, that will help my already charming reputation as the "Collector's friend". (Thick sarcasm being noted here)

If this was on my wall and I was in certain parts of the country I would have gotten some very interesting comments. Some directed because it's in a holder, 2nd the price I put on the book.

I get it ALL the time, welcome to the High grade market.

And to all you folks who valued this book.

It's only "Worth" something until the person writes the check.

Therefore stating I value it at $6K or 8K or 10K is wonderful coffee table/beer speculation.

Write the check with YOUR money, that's what it's worth.

Going first into the Market on any Highest Graded copy might mean you leave some money on the table.

Wonder how many yahoos - I mean, welcome n00bs - this will bring to the board simply for all dat sweet forum selling action.

To be fair, I am not sure that posting the book in the marketplace did me any good. The top offers I got were from people who saw the book in the silver age forum when I posted it there to celebrate. The marketplace is a headache to sell in, because you always get the dolts who krap all over your thread because they don't like your asking price or because they think no one should ever pay more than $X for that book regardless of grade (with $X being a price that is around 1/5 of what you ultimately sell the book for). Even Bob Storms of all people decided to take an uncalled-for shot at me in my thread. It's the whole "What I collect is cool, and if you don't collect the way I do, you're stupid" mentality (or in Bob's case, it's the whole "I can't stand to see a collector sell a book for a profit" mentality) that drives me nuts. When I get my ASM#122 back from CGC, I will not be offering it on the boards.

I'm surprised you still tolerate us at all, from all the way on top of Mount Olympus.

Did you think this one up all yourself - (or in Bob's case, it's the whole "I can't stand to see a collector sell a book for a profit" mentality) that drives me nuts

If you really believe this statement than you truly don't know me buddy.

I have no problem with a collector selling a book for a profit.

Just so we are clear I thought $8K (Hmmm 76X guide) was excessive and If I put that price on the book I'm sure there would be some interesting comments because I'm a dealer. $5300 (only 50X guide) makes for some great headlines.

And I'm alway's curious because it's great that you got the price but always wonder when the book comes up for sale will there be a buyer for it?

Congratulations, you've raised the bar, you are now the Highlander of AS #86's because you are the "one". Now certain 9.8's can go for 50+ guide.

I guess the 15X 9.8 guide that I used for pricing now goes out the window.

Think about this before you respond. And yes, AS #86 is a tough book, so was X-Men #79 (At $2600 this book only sold for 28X guide). But what are they really? Keys, no? tough books, yes.

The X-Men #79 that sold for $2600 was a CGC 9.6. Does the multiple make more sense to you now in the context of the CGC 9.8 that I sold?

As for how well I "know you," I have seen you complain time and time and time again when a collector has gotten a good price for a book. Usually your gripe also has something to do with the fact that the collector doesn't have the same overhead that you do, which apparently compounds the affront to you when a collector sells a book for an aggressive price. You are the only dealer I know of who whines like this when other people get good prices for books.

If you want to start pricing your 9.8s at 50x guide, go for it. Let's see if you can sell them for that. And when you don't, perhaps you'll understand that not every late silver age book has the same demand behind it or is as hard to get in 9.8 as this one is. Perhaps you'll also learn the lesson that "Guide is irrelevant" on a book like this. Of course, if you're pricing at 15x guide on CGC 9.8s, then you've already learned that lesson, haven't you. You just aren't selling the books that will support a higher multiple, such as this one, because neither you nor anyone else has a copy -- which is why it sold for what it did. And the $8K price that I offered for it was based on feedback I got from other silver age collectors. I didn't pick it out of thin air.

And, of course, all of this is completely beside the point -- which is that you had no right to come into my seller's thread and *spoon* all over it. I don't do that to you or anyone else, and I certainly don't deserve that garbage from you.

Wonder how many yahoos - I mean, welcome n00bs - this will bring to the board simply for all dat sweet forum selling action.

To be fair, I am not sure that posting the book in the marketplace did me any good. The top offers I got were from people who saw the book in the silver age forum when I posted it there to celebrate. The marketplace is a headache to sell in, because you always get the dolts who krap all over your thread because they don't like your asking price or because they think no one should ever pay more than $X for that book regardless of grade (with $X being a price that is around 1/5 of what you ultimately sell the book for). Even Bob Storms of all people decided to take an uncalled-for shot at me in my thread. It's the whole "What I collect is cool, and if you don't collect the way I do, you're stupid" mentality (or in Bob's case, it's the whole "I can't stand to see a collector sell a book for a profit" mentality) that drives me nuts. When I get my ASM#122 back from CGC, I will not be offering it on the boards.

I'm surprised you still tolerate us at all, from all the way on top of Mount Olympus.

I'm surprised that you're such a cream puff in real life, considering all of the smack you talk on the boards, big mouth.

I'm surprised that you're such a cream puff in real life, considering all of the smack you talk on the boards, big mouth.

hail.gif

893whatthe.gif

893whatthe.gif