• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this for real? FF2 9.4 eBay!

19 posts in this topic

If he really thought it was a 9.4 why doesn't he slab it and get $15-20 grand for it?

Looks nice though.

Assuming it gets a blue label, what do you think the grade would be from CGC?

I think maybe 9.0... or 8.5...

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

FF 2 9.4 eBay

This same seller sold this same book a few months ago. I remember the listing partially because he was suggesting that the buyer send it to that new grading company, CGG. I remember wondering why he would want them to send the book to CGG and whether it was related to the possibility that they're not as good at detecting restoration as CGC might be.

I'm very suspicious when someone is selling a NM book for five thousand dollars when they could spend just $79.00 and have it graded near mint with only a 5 day turn around time and make 15 to 20 thousand on the sale.

Hulk 2 in 9.4 sold for 18-19 thousand I think.

Wouldn't FF 2 (a book known to be rare in NM) sell for near 20 thousand???

What nut would pass up an extra 15 grand?

Not me for sure! cool.gif

I would never buy a book like this without it being a CGC copy...all this reserve/private auction/low feedback ect...adds up to one thing...a scam! I don't trust peoples' grading/restoration check on ebay.Stay away from this auction people...far away!

There's something goin' on with the bottom left hand corner - check it out CLOSELY.

Are you talking about the streaking. (Very light, almost impercepatable.) Mentioning that because I don't notice it anywhere else on the floor. Evidence of restoration? If so, what am I looking at?

Yes, you are correct. The problem in the bottom left region is a crease. It was far more noticeable as not only a crease, but a bend right through the entire book that showed up far better on the back cover image that accompanied this comic's first listing on Ebay approx. 2 months ago. Since the crease on the front is through a gray area, the flaking is not so obviously evident as most other colors would have had the ink flaked out of the break formed by the crease itself.

The back cover images previously posted in the book's first go around showed various degrees of rack or wear bends on the back cover that didn't show up to the same degree on the front.

Also, the seller had taken some internal shots for inclusion with the first auction and in doing so, it looked as though the structure of the spine was further compromised by his opening the cover far too vigorously considering the non-advantageous staple placement in performing that manuever.

My feeling from the more inclusive images that accompanied the first auction of this book is that it was far closer to a VF range book than a NM, in which case the buyer paid roughly twice as much as it's approx. raw market value.

In my estimation, there is no alteration on the #2, although as we all know, examination of images alone is no way to be absolutely sure one way or the other.

I really don't understand the logic of labelling this book a 9.4 if, as all of you seem to agree, it isn't. I imagine anyone buying this book, if they had any common sense, would send it in to be graded and make sure they could return it if it didn't grade out as promised.

Did this book sell the first time it was listed? If it did, then it was obviously returned once. And if in fact inside pages were scanned for the first auction, then there is no chance this book can be a 9.4.

The seller does have a good feedback rating, so what is the point of him risking that? Maybe he's hoping no one sends it in for grading, but I can't see anyone NOT doing that.

Just to see what type of response I'd get, I emailed the seller, offered him $4,500 for the book, but that I would want my money back if it didn't come back at 9.4. He responded a little too quickly i think agreeing to my offer. That was before someone hit the BIN. I then received an email from the seller that if he didn't receive payment for the winner, the "owner" of the book would still accept my offer. Fishy? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif