• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How big is your collection?
5 5

How big is your collection?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. How big is your collection?

690 posts in this topic

my best guess it 12-15,000 comics and comic-related magazines, but that could be too high. I will have a better sense of things when I set up my comic room!

Does anyone think that this could strain the structure of a solidly built, but 100 year old, Victorian, if I spread it out over one room on an upper floor? Would that really weigh more than some heavy pieces of furniture and what not? I guess we're talking about the equivalent of 60-70 long boxes.

Theres 1,854 digest alone and I never collected the Katy Keene or TMNT digest!

The 6,426 comics does include 52 issues of That Wilkin Boy, 52 of Suzie and 90 issues of Wilbur, (and some other smaller runs, like Cosmo the Merry Martian) but no Katy Keene, no Superheroes, no Hedgehogs, no turtles (I do have some of these but only when Archie &/or the Gang appear in them and they are not included in that total.

The numbers I really watch now is I need

5 digest to upgrade to all VG or better.

17 fair and and 138 good to upgrade all 25 cent cover and earlier comics to at least VG

1 good and 77 VG to upgrade all 30 cent cover and later to at least FINE

So a total upgrade list of 238 comics and digest.

I also need 7 Top-Notch and 25 Zip to get all the early appearnces of Suzie and Wilbur (but I haven't been trying to hard on those).

Hows that for being a total Archie geek?

You still didn't say how long you've collected... Your collection could be worth quite a bit (especially the Suzies and Wilburs - those are hard to find).

You really should join my board cool.gif

hello all...

in my personal collection (I consider Golden Age only) , I have maybe 500-600 books (runs of Detective, Batman, Marel Mystery Comics, Whiz, Captain Marvel, etc)...in my "reading" collection, I have maybe 30,000 (that spans the 60's- current...yep, I still read 40 titles a month or so...it is about 100 long boxes and stacks and stacks of diamond boxes)....but I have a local warehouse operation (new comics and toys) and I seem to sell off a box of books a month, so it has been dwindaling over the years...I think I had more than 50,000 comics in 1999)...

at one point in the early 90's, I had only 2 GA runs, Action 1-100 and Batman 1-100, but I had pretty much completed the entire Silver Age to current (Marvel and DC, superheroes only, Marvel like ASM, FF, JIM, TOS, Silver Surfer, and on the DC side, pretty much all), and have slowly through the years, sold off most of the SA (like my compolete NM run of Gold Key Star Trek 1-61), as my business grew and I needed "capitol", and recently , as my love for "collecting" GA has be reignited...I will never complete the GA I want to (not enough time or money), so I suspect I will continue to sell off the remaining Silver and Bronze (and I likely still have them all) that I have not even looked at in 10 years..

rick

I've knocked mine down to about 30 long boxes from a high of 70 about 5 years ago. I'm getting there but it's hard to move those 90's books.

my best guess it 12-15,000 comics and comic-related magazines, but that could be too high. I will have a better sense of things when I set up my comic room!

Does anyone think that this could strain the structure of a solidly built, but 100 year old, Victorian, if I spread it out over one room on an upper floor? Would that really weigh more than some heavy pieces of furniture and what not? I guess we're talking about the equivalent of 60-70 long boxes.

Blob, that's a considerable amount of weight for any home. I recall that there are a few civil/structural engineers on the boards (comicdey comes to mind) that you may wish to pm regarding your question.

I wouldn't reccommend stacking them high...or at all...

It depends on the floor joists span, depth, etc...

My guess would be the depth and spacing on the upper floor of an old Victorian would be taxed...You really wouldn't want to put more than 30 pounds per sqare foot up there MAX; 20 psf better...you can see where a box of comics would quickli approach that figure.

Failure by stacking of boxes of books is actually a pretty common cause of failure in buildings; wharehouses usually.

You should probably get the opinion of a local structural engineer...

My collection can be broken down into two distinct time periods:

Before Marriage: ~5,000 books

After 7 years of wedded bliss: now only ~2,000 books left and slowly decreasing as storage space demand in the house increases.

I think somewhere about 12,000 but could be a bit of give or take 1,000. They are nearly all Marvel.