• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How big is your collection?
5 5

How big is your collection?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. How big is your collection?

690 posts in this topic

I have 41233 total comics. 26320 are entered into a database. The grand total in the database with doubles, triples, etc. etc. is 31993 books and magazines. That comes to 934868 pages with 29.2 average pages. Total cover price $59,878.20 with an average cover price of $1.99. 103 are slabbed. This is a 41 year collection. My first book to start my lifelong hobby was Detective Comics 461. 

Detective_Comics_461.jpg

Edited by kilowatt

On 9/1/2017 at 4:55 PM, kilowatt said:

I have 41233 total comics. 26320 are entered into a database. The grand total in the database with doubles, triples, etc. etc. is 31993 books and magazines. That comes to 934868 pages with 29.2 average pages. Total cover price $59,878.20 with an average cover price of $1.99. 103 are slabbed. This is a 41 year collection. My first book to start my lifelong hobby was Detective Comics 461. 

Detective_Comics_461.jpg

That's impressive really. I've got to be honest I can't imagine counting the massive amount of comics that I have. Kudos to you for putting that amount of time into a database.

I would estimate I own around 20,000 comics in total. I estimate roughly 10% of them are silver age and golden age, 20% are bronze age, and 70% modern. Over the last year, I have cut back on my modern comic buying by like 95%. I think the modern market, especially the variants, is headed for a big crash. So I am concentrating more on silver age and golden age again and am planning on selling a large portion of my modern comics. The only one's I really plan on keeping are the main series from the most popular characters (Wonder Woman, Batman, etc), my signed comics, and comics that have covers from my favorite artists (Michael Turner, Lucio Parrillo, J. Scott Campbell etc.). I have a lot of European variants as I purchased a huge collection from a guy in Europe. He had just purchased a comic shop's inventory that went out of business and was looking to get rid of a lot of the comics. Haven't decided wether to keep those or not.

I have really shifted my focus to statues over the last few years over comics. 2016 & 2017 have been exceptional years for statues collectors. Sideshow and Prime 1 had a lot of amazing releases. I now have like 10 statues on pre order at any given time and they are eating up space really quick. That's another reason why I am liquidating a lot of my modern comics. I need more space for my statues and replica weapons. 

On 9/3/2017 at 10:28 PM, oakman29 said:

That's impressive really. I've got to be honest I can't imagine counting the massive amount of comics that I have. Kudos to you for putting that amount of time into a database.

Yeah, that is impressive. I wish I had the motivation to get my collection organized and in a database like that. I have though about it on a couple of occasions, but I have so many comics that I just look at all the boxes and it motivates me not to do it. I have the same problem with scanning and large format negatives. I have like 20,000 4x5 & 8x10 negatives that I would love to scan and have in digital form, but its such a daunting task that I never get around to doing it. Its one of those things where you really have to stop looking at the whole and just do a certain amount each day. 

On 1/10/2018 at 10:25 AM, Point Five said:

I've got 1500 books, give or take.  NYC apartments, you know? Really tried to pare down in recent years. 

That is smart of you to keep your collection small, didn't know you lived in a NY apt .. i heard that rent is outrageous there...

I would say my personal collection is north of 3,000 with about 10% GA, 70% SA and 20% BA/CA give or take by guess. Beyond 1985 era, I have less than 2% in stock. One day I need to sit down and work on my database. 

Huge change from the past when I had over 17,000 comics. I had pared away to shift my focus towards to GA/SA era. 

About 450 American golden age, 65 Australian golden age, 100ish  silver age, and 500 or so modern Disneys (pretty much all of the Gladstone and Gemstone books) - not sure I really need those!

My personal collection is only about 1000 books, 5% Gold, 30% Silver, 40% Bronze, 25% Copper and Modern. Slabs account for 10% of it. My goal is to eventually pare it down to 200-300 books, most of them slabbed.