• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How big is your collection?
5 5

How big is your collection?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. How big is your collection?

690 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. I'm not new here, but I rarely post. I'll talk about my collection anytime to people who give a damn, though.

I've currently got about 36,000 comics. I prefer raw copies in a nice mylar bag, but I've accumulated some slabs because of deals, and had my 3 Golden Age Superman,

an interesting follow up is what you plan on doing with your collection - especially for the older folks. After all, you can't take it with you .

Though there was a great thread on some of the innovative things people made out of comic covers (desks, shelves etc)  How interesting would a final resting place made out of comic covers be???

My collection is somewhere north of 90,000, though I plan to downsize it somewhat in the near future (probably starting next year) and sell off titles I'm not that interested in any more.  I figure it will reduce my collection by about 1/3 to 1/2.

The collection is pretty diverse with lots of Archies, Harveys, Dells, Gold Keys and others in addition to large runs of DC and Marvel books.  I don't get too many Marvel books these days with most of the purchases falling into the Spider-Man, FF and Daredevil families of books plus Star Wars and Conan.

I have 10-20 books in slabs, mostly because they came that way when I bought them.  

My collection is somewhere north of 90,000, though I plan to downsize it somewhat in the near future (probably starting next year) and sell off titles I'm not that interested in any more.  I figure it will reduce my collection by about 1/3 to 1/2.

Out of curiousity, how do you go about selling that quantity of comics?  I wouldn't think you have 10000 ebay auctions going around the same time.

Ny

49 minutes ago, csaag said:

Out of curiousity, how do you go about selling that quantity of comics?  I wouldn't think you have 10000 ebay auctions going around the same time.

Ny

I've sold a few things on ebay, though not comic books.  I don't have a whole lot of interest in selling regularly on ebay.  I have a friend who got back into collecting comics in the past decade and I've been helping him build runs of Fantastic Four, Superman and Batman, among others.  He's expressed an interest in purchasing some of my runs of books.  I expect that he will take my X-Men, Aquaman and others should I choose to sell them.  I'll give him a fair price on them so we both benefit and I won't have to go through the hassle of ebay.

For books that he doesn't want, I may go the ebay route for some of them or if there is a lot of bulk left, I might investigate Mycomicshop or setting up at a local show.  I won't necessarily be in a great hurry to get rid of them.  While the extra space would be nice, it isn't critical and I can afford to wait if need be for the right opportunity.

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 9:23 AM, csaag said:

an interesting follow up is what you plan on doing with your collection - especially for the older folks. After all, you can't take it with you .

Though there was a great thread on some of the innovative things people made out of comic covers (desks, shelves etc)  How interesting would a final resting place made out of comic covers be???

I have instructions in my will to contact mycomicshop.com, since they will buy every last book, and be the fairest to a non-collector. If I ever decide to get rid of them myself, it all depends on what the reason is for selling them. My entire downstairs is set up with all my hobby and play stuff, and the comics are safely tucked away in 2 bedrooms without windows, so they aren't in the way of anything. I'm 53, divorced and not looking, and have 2 levels of house with 3 other bedrooms separate from my comic stuff, so I don't foresee them interfering with my life if I ever lose interest. 

so I am new to chat I have a large collection been collecting started for me when I was a boy I was sickly spent a lot of time in the hospital.my dad and mom brought me myfirst comics and I still have them and many more I am now a artist; I draw paint .but my comics have been in plastic sheets my whole life 'when I was a kid I read a book by the great j.kirby and stan lee' it said have your own style don't copy so I ve got my style I have poasted some stuff for friends on facebook people are mostly blown away by my detail picture inside pictures is my style you can look at one of my drawing and the closer u look the more u see' thank u stan and jack for turning me into the artist I am and dad rip .mom still alive' I dygrest. so how do I go about selling I ve enjoyed these books but they sit in boxes in plastic so I want to sell em to somebody who will enjoy them my they inspire somebody they are beautiful art.or may be your looking for that one book to finish your collection I am selling these so somebody will display or enjoy them has much as I . just not sure how to sell so I m working on a spread sheet going to take a couple weeks for me to get it finished then I post it and maybe you can own them.

7 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Not much

I only started in February 

Its kindve embarrassing.

It's not embarrasing, everyone's gotta start somewhere.

I've a collection of about 500 raw books, and not a single slab, so I was only surprised based on the amount of CGC books you had.

Looks like a nice start to a collection. (thumbsu

Edited by HuddyBee

4 minutes ago, HuddyBee said:

It's not embarrasing, everyone's gotta start somewhere.

I've a collection of about 500 raw books, and not a single slab, so I was only surprised based on the amount of CGC books you had.

Looks like a nice start to a collection. (thumbsu

I ditched raw books for TPBs, so my single-issue collection is very thin. I have thousands of comics, though, technically. Just bound together.

28 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

I ditched raw books for TPBs

Seems ideal for reading, but don't the issues lose all their charm? I guess it depends on what books you primarily collect.

Silver Age DC TPBs, nope, I'll stick with raw individual copies.

1 minute ago, HuddyBee said:

Seems ideal for reading, but don't the issues lose all their charm? I guess it depends on what books you primarily collect.

Silver Age DC TPBs, nope, I'll stick with raw individual copies.

Some collected editions don't include the individual issue covers, which definitely sucks. I would say that, overall, they don't lose their "charm". I would suggest buying most/all Modern stories in collected editions. Pre-Modern, though, single issues are probably the best.

Most of my stuff is Modern. I've collected some of the DC Golden/Silver/Bronze Age TPBs, but aside from that, my pre-Modern collected editions are almost nil. I only have a few pre-Modern single issues, too.